What career is best for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetDoc17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I know this is a debate that has gone back and forth a lot between people but I would like some help on the subject. I am a married, 17 year old female who wants to work in the healthcare field. When I was about 14 my first thought was to go into nursing because I liked the idea of hands on care and I knew I could further my career later on. I graduated at 16 and have since been in college about 1 1/2 years working on my pre-reqs for nursing. I still like nursing, but lately the idea of going into medicine has entered my mind. I'm young, I have a supportive family and spouse, and I think I would enjoy medicine. But here's the dilemma, I don't want to be thirty and start having kids. And when I do have kids, I would prefer to stay home with them for the first year or two of their lives. I love taking care of people and learning about the human body but I also have other passions. For example, traveling. Going on mission trips is my absolute favorite thing to do and I would love to combine it with taking care of people. I'm afraid that if I go into nursing I'll wish I had gone into medicine and afraid that if I go into medicine I'll feel that all of my 20s were spent in school. I just don't know what would be better for the lifestyle I want and I definitely don't want to regret my career choices later on. So for those who are in medicine or nursing, do you feel that you have the time to travel and be with family? Do you regret your career choice?
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Split the difference and go to PA school.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I know this is a debate that has gone back and forth a lot between people but I would like some help on the subject. I am a married, 17 year old female who wants to work in the healthcare field. When I was about 14 my first thought was to go into nursing because I liked the idea of hands on care and I knew I could further my career later on. I graduated at 16 and have since been in college about 1 1/2 years working on my pre-reqs for nursing. I still like nursing, but lately the idea of going into medicine has entered my mind. I'm young, I have a supportive family and spouse, and I think I would enjoy medicine. But here's the dilemma, I don't want to be thirty and start having kids. And when I do have kids, I would prefer to stay home with them for the first year or two of their lives. I love taking care of people and learning about the human body but I also have other passions. For example, traveling. Going on mission trips is my absolute favorite thing to do and I would love to combine it with taking care of people. I'm afraid that if I go into nursing I'll wish I had gone into medicine and afraid that if I go into medicine I'll feel that all of my 20s were spent in school. I just don't know what would be better for the lifestyle I want and I definitely don't want to regret my career choices later on. So for those who are in medicine or nursing, do you feel that you have the time to travel and be with family? Do you regret your career choice?
Thank you so much!
I second circulus vitios. PA is a great option for you, and you will be quite valuable in mission trips, especially if you decide to do multiple specialties. They do a majority of what doctors do, but have greater flexibility. Not to mention their growing salary, shift-based work (perfect for family), and low length of training (2 years).

. The only reason I'm not suggesting the MD/DO route is your concern about having kids at 30 (which is actually quite normal nowadays regardless of occupation, btw).

You could also stick with nursing and do more schooling to become a nurse practitioner.

Seems like 30 is almost young for a first baby these days, at least among people I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses, guys. I’m thinking the M.D. route isn’t for me. I would like it but I wouldn’t want to neglect patients for my family obligations or neglect family for patient obligations. I’ll probably go the NP or PA route, the learning won’t be as in-depth as medical school but I don’t mind. I would be fine working under a physician’s supervision and learning from him/her.