What challenges do you think you will face in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are asked this in an interview, what are they looking for?? Clearly everyone experiences the typical time management, academic stress issues but (a) why would i want to say that during an interview (b) the answers generic and obvious...any ideas on how to get creative with this? <And yet another psycho interview question>

Members don't see this ad.

To add to that, do you think it would be ok to talk about wanting to have kids while in med school, or is that not a good thing to mention at an interview?

To add to that, do you think it would be ok to talk about wanting to have kids while in med school, or is that not a good thing to mention at an interview?

hmm thats a really tough one. i guess the question is, why would you want to mention it? how would it help?

Members don't see this ad :)
there isnt whole lot of room for creatity for that question, IMO. I just think they want ot make sure you possess common sense.

I guess the best way to make it "creative" -as you put it- is by talking about the generic, typical ones first, which can be ensued by listing challenges that may be unique to you (besides the academic, time management challenges that virtually every1 faces)

there isnt whole lot of room for creatity for that question, IMO. I just think they want ot make sure you possess common sense.

I guess the best way to make it "creative" -as you put it- is by talking about the generic, typical ones first, which can be ensued by listing challenges that may be unique to you (besides the academic, time management challenge that virtually every1 faces)

but honestly, since i havent been to med school yet, how the *ell would i really truly know? Obviously it will be academically stressful but thats about it.

I wouldn't mention the kids. For better or worse, that probably won't strike the interviewer that well unless you are able to really talk through it. I think the generic answer works well, if it's truthful. I talked about how time management will be difficult because there's a ton of great things to be involved with in medical school because I really can see that happening. Hope this helps.

hmm thats a really tough one. i guess the question is, why would you want to mention it? how would it help?

I would want to mention it because it's true. I think it'll be insanely difficult to be pregnant/have a kid while in med school, but I want to. I don't want to work hard for 8 years or so and have to take time off of work right away to have a kid, and I definitely don't want to increase my chances of having a kid with Down's Syndrome by waiting.

As far as how it would help, I have no idea. I don't think it would because I don't know who would want to take someone who will probably need some time off or might not finish in four years...

but honestly, since i havent been to med school yet, how the *ell would i really truly know? Obviously it will be academically stressful but thats about it.
are you sure about that?

what kind of person are you? introverted? extroverted? flamboyant? optimistic? and the list goes on...........

Say, if u were to a shy person, by nature, how might your temperament/personality deter you from successfully completing med school and becoming a good doctor? (just an example, btw)

they obviously dont want to hear endless rant about academic challenges and time management that are mutual for everyone...the question is a way of getting to know you better as a person

I would want to mention it because it's true. I think it'll be insanely difficult to be pregnant/have a kid while in med school, but I want to.

You are allowed to have kids whenever you want and a decent handful do during med school. But I don't see how it's helpful in an interview setting. They aren't really legally really allowed to ask, so I wouldn't go down that road.

I've never heard that question. Could be they want to know that you know what is involved in med school. Or could be another form of asking "what is your greatest weakness". Or could be an entree to ethical issues you might face.

When you are asked this in an interview, what are they looking for?? Clearly everyone experiences the typical time management, academic stress issues but (a) why would i want to say that during an interview (b) the answers generic and obvious...any ideas on how to get creative with this? <And yet another psycho interview question>

Those answers are the only answers that make sense. Frankly those are probably the only answers they expect. Sometimes generic is okay. Same thing with the question on "what challenges exist in medicine?" How the hell is a pre-med with no experience practicing medicine supposed to know? So you give them the generic answers i.e underserved communities, uninsured patients etc. I wonder how they will react if someone told them some other real problems with medicine like the hazing of medcal students/residents, medicare/medicaid bending doctors over, and how insurance companies virtually run everything. Oh not to mention lawyers.

how would this come up during a conversation? Unless your interviewer was really into you and wanted to see where this could go in the future... could you imagine an interviewer asking you if you had any intentions of getting knocked up in the next year or so... I would be mortified - mainly because I'm guy, but mortified nonetheless.

could you imagine an interviewer asking you if you had any intentions of getting knocked up in the next year or so... I would be mortified - mainly because I'm guy, but mortified nonetheless.

That's one of those questions that are considered "illegal" in an interview setting, and only an interviewer ignorant of the rules would ask such.

I was asked that question on my interview last year. It was the second or the third question. and then things just kept rolling from there...my answers would lead them to ask another question about my EC...my goals after med school...how differnt EC shaped the person who I am.....

"What challenges might you face in med school?"

Do NOT give a generic answer! Seriously, although this question might seem stupid, it is actually a way of showing yourself off and giving them a little insight into your life/hobbies/aspirations etc. Don't bore them to death with a textbook answer. Sure, you may need to start out by saying something like "Well, I expect that the work load will be overwhelming..." which is a common answer, but then add something honest (read: HONEST) like, "And will certainly mean that I won't be able to participate in the community theatre productions that I've been doing for the past xx years. I've come to accept this fact, and have already looked into taking singing lessons instead, which will give me more flexibility with time while still allowing me to indulge in my artistic hobbies"

Bad example, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

That's one of those questions that are considered "illegal" in an interview setting, and only an interviewer ignorant of the rules would ask such.

What do you mean by illegal? Do you mean it is just one of those things you are not supposed to ask? Or do you mean against the law?