What chance does a man with 17 kids have at getting in to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been following these threads for a while and I came across a message written by @DrMidlife saying a few years back, a male applicant applied to med school with I forget how many kids. For the life of me, I cannot find the thread to which she referred.

I ask this question because a few months back I met someone I am no longer romantically interested in because I discovered he has 17 children by 11 different women (and for other reasons), but we had a very intense spark, both being non-trads, initially were registered for the same classes at school, and both with the same intention to become doctors.

I do care about him as a person/friend and I want to be supportive of his interest in medical school.

1. 39 years old AA male, divorced twice, 11 different baby mamas
2. 3.0-ish GPA, but he has 2 Masters degrees and used to have his own business
3. Medically retired marine on disability (without a visible disability), so he's a veteran
4. Thinks he can get into a very tough post-bacc program and get the military to pay for it.

Am I too harsh on him? Though he seems to think we are meant for each other because we both just happened to be on the med school track when we met, I believe I want it more and I am more driven and more realistic.

Does he have a shot? I think he pays child support and I highly doubt he's going to talk about having lots of kids in his personal statement...is there any way medical schools find out this kind of stuff about their applicants? I would really appreciate a link to that other thread.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your significant other might have his priorities mixed up. Obviously it's not my place to judge. But how is he going to get through med school with so many children to look after?

Edit:just read the comment about him trying to scam the system. I don't think he belongs in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh no @ZedsDed I am VERY single. I care about him as a friend. My interest lies in helping him out because I am a very motivational kind of person and I want to help others succeed if I can. But I am not about to get distracted by someone else's issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
The real problem he's going to have is paying child support while in school, unless he's got some money saved. Depending on the state he's in, he could be fast tracking himself straight out of medical school and into jail if he can't make his payments.

I've been following these threads for a while and I came across a message written by @DrMidlife saying a few years back, a male applicant applied to med school with I forget how many kids. For the life of me, I cannot find the thread to which she referred.
Very different scenario, other than dereliction of duty as a parent. One wife, 13 kids, degree in pastoral studies (something like that), homeschooling. I think the family was already on public assistance.
Am I too harsh on him?
No, your acquaintance is a narcissist hostage-creating trainwreck with delusions of grandeur. I suggest that it would be better to prioritize self protection over caring for others in this case.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 10 users
Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's using his premed status to scam his way with the ladies (and before that the military). I seriously doubt he has any real interest in medicine -- that's his rap, and it's working. His doctors salary would be so depleted by child support he'd be the poorest doctor in history if he ever did have two nickels to rub together. The fact that he has two masters degrees and is embarking on a long postbac track with the kind of child support issues he has doesn't make him sound like someone who intends to follow through.

Reactions: 2 users
17 children! 11 different ladies with 17 kids!

There ain't but so many ways to cut a disability check.

I'm sure medical schools will share the appreciation for him that all these baby mama's do. Given all that they and medical schools have in common. And what sorts of men they find attractive. Huckstery, slick talkin, d!ckslingers, is exactly what they like in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't sleep with him, don't talk to him, run away....when in doubt start the list over again

Reactions: 3 users
Of course you felt an intense spark! He has 17 children from 11 women to prove that he is very good at making connections with people, and getting them to look past his color guard of red flags. He had to have some pretty amazing charm for ladies 3-11 to overlook the rest of his growing herd.

His chance of getting in to medical school isn't any of your concern. He either has one, or he doesn't, and he will sort that out for himself. He has experience getting into various institutions, so he knows how to fulfill objectives and navigate complex applications. It is clear that he knows, probably better than you, how to work a system.

17 children with 11 women doesn't just happen. Someone with any hint of decency would have pulled up sharp and reassessed their life choices the first time they created another human life without intending to do so. That he was unmoved by responsibility or ethics, such that he went on to repeat the error over and over and over... that suggests to me that he isn't done yet. Babies 18-24 from moms 12-16 just haven't been conceived yet.

Reactions: 2 users