What classes to take? (UM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothisispatrick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice on classes to take. I'm going with the guide on page 8 - https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/PreHealth Documents/Pre-Health_Guidelines_2013-2014.pdf

Background info: (I will be a freshman at University of Miami)
Mandatory - 3 classes in philosophy, 3 in psych, 1 in spanish
Psych major
AP Credit: Calc AB, Microeconomics, Chem, Physics B - 5, Psych - ? (4 or 5)

4 Questions: I'm planning on not utilizing my 5 on AP Chem so I have more med school options. Should I use my Calc to get out of Calc I? Also will I still need to take a year of math after that or just one semester? It will be an easy class compared to the rest with my current knowledge and some med schools might not like me using AP credit but I could take a different easy course instead if I used it for credit. Also this summer I'm planning on taking a course in either Calc I, Physics I, or Spanish. Spanish will be hard to arrange transferring the credit, I'm not sure if I want to use AP Calc credit so if I choose to the class will be a waste, and I don't know what med schools will think if I take a pre-req science course outside of UM for Physics. Which Course should I take? Right now my schedule is Biology with lab, Chemistry with lab, English, and Spanish. I'm considering dropping spanish because my schedule seems pretty crazy now. Should I?

Members don't see this ad.

4 Questions: I'm planning on not utilizing my 5 on AP Chem so I have more med school options. Should I use my Calc to get out of Calc I? Also will I still need to take a year of math after that or just one semester?

I would shoot for a year of math. You can either retake calc or pick a higher level math class. There are some places that will accept your AP credit without hassle, but not all places. Taking 1 year of math should satisfy every program's math requirement.

I don't know what med schools will think if I take a pre-req science course outside of UM for Physics.
Some wont care and some will. Can you take it at UM? Do you really need to take it over the summer? With all your AP credit, and a single major, you should be able to graduate within 4 yrs without summer classes.

Which Course should I take? Right now my schedule is Biology with lab, Chemistry with lab, English, and Spanish. I'm considering dropping spanish because my schedule seems pretty crazy now. Should I?
I think that schedule is fine. Most bio and chem majors take two science classes and two liberal arts classes. Plus, with your AP hx, the first part of gen chem will be review.

Use your AP credits. Don't take the class learning the same exact thing if you don't have to. Your AP credits will show on your transcript whether you use them or not, btw.