What counts as a grade I need to explain in my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of Personal Statement advice that recommends that you explain any bad grades and lapses in your academic record. Freshman and sophomore year, I got Bs in General Chemistry I, Cell Biology, and Organic Chem II, and then a B- in Organic Chem I. I also got a B and a B+ in two humanities classes.

I then got a 4.0 the second semester of sophomore year, and all of junior year, and now have a 3.8 GPA, 3.76 sGPA.

Are those 6 Bs bad enough that I should explain them in my PS? The only explanation is really that I was unprepared for how hard college would be, and didn't work hard enough, but eventually recommitted myself to becoming a doctor and working hard to improve my grades.

So do you guys think I should explain those Bs? Or is it not significant enough to bring up?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bring it up; no need to explain through a PS in my opinion.

I wouldn't bring it up. Frame it in terms of the prompt (Explain your reasons for applying to medical school, IIRC). Do those grades fall in any way into your reasons?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are pretty new around here. Chill out. They're just Bs.

Anything below B+ you definitely need to address in your PS...I would write at least 3 to 4 sentences on how it affected you as a person and how your life changed from those Bs

...really tho, I'm applying with multiple Cs on my undergrad transcript (over a half decade old grades) and I didn't even mention 'em. Chill

I would only talk about grades if you got below a C multiple times in one semester. B's are nothing.

You are pretty new around here. Chill out. They're just Bs.

I agree with this

I don't know why anyone would write about their grades in their PS. Even if you got an F

A PS is supposed to be about why you chose medicine, how you came to the decision, and why you would be a good fit.

Do NOT discuss your grades in your PS! It always comes across to htis reader as making excuses.

There's nothing wrong with a B. So chill.

I've read a lot of Personal Statement advice that recommends that you explain any bad grades and lapses in your academic record. Freshman and sophomore year, I got Bs in General Chemistry I, Cell Biology, and Organic Chem II, and then a B- in Organic Chem I. I also got a B and a B+ in two humanities classes.

I then got a 4.0 the second semester of sophomore year, and all of junior year, and now have a 3.8 GPA, 3.76 sGPA.

Are those 6 Bs bad enough that I should explain them in my PS? The only explanation is really that I was unprepared for how hard college would be, and didn't work hard enough, but eventually recommitted myself to becoming a doctor and working hard to improve my grades.

So do you guys think I should explain those Bs? Or is it not significant enough to bring up?

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't even talk about an F. Well, I might say "academic obstacles" or something.

Mention in secondaries.

Most PS are about 5-6 paragraphs. I suggest having 6 paragraphs, each dedicated to explaining one of those B's and what you will do to make sure it never happens again.

B's are fine to most med schools. With the length constraint of a PS I wouldn't waste space explaining a poor grade unless it severely weakened my application (a C or less).