What counts as "non-science" LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterwind_23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three letters of recommendation so far - 2 from science professors from my postbac, and one from my PI that I did my senior thesis under in college. Some schools that I am going to apply to this cycle require a "non-science" letter of rec. Does a letter from a PI count as non-science? The research was done in a chemistry lab.

Unfortunately, I did not take many non-science courses in college, and I've been out of college for four years. The only way I could get a non-science LOR from a faculty member would be to randomly email professors that I took classes with back in undergrad, which would be from 4+ years ago.

Can I replace the letter somehow? Maybe a doctor that I shadowed? Or maybe a recent employer? Will I be automatically screened out if I apply with my current 3 letters (1 research, 2 science professors)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if it is my last option, would it be OK to get a mediocre or even neutral LOR from a history professor that I took a class with 7 years ago? I might just email the few professors I took non-science classes in undergrad to see if they would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation. This appears to be my only option. :(

Do schools make exceptions at all for non-trads? At this point, it feels like a hoop I have to jump through, not necessarily anything that will add to my application.

I'm hoping to acquire 1 DO/MD letter, one from my volunteer services coordinator, and maybe one from my employer. I figure if I have 3 science plus 2-3 "other", they can decide for themselves what counts. A number of schools have this requirement and I'm also hesitant to use something from a professor I haven't seen in 5+ years.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about a letter from something current OTHER than school? Job? Volunteering? etc

Yes, I might be able to get a letter of recommendation from a volunteer position and/or a recent job (I'm currently not working). Would this qualify as a "non-science" letter, though? Some schools specifically ask for a non-science letter from a faculty member. I guess getting a letter from a volunteer position or job would at least fulfill the requirement for a fourth letter that some schools require, since I only have three right now.

Would it be OK to get a letter from a volunteer position or job that is non-clinical? I tutor kids at an after-school program once a week, and I actually really enjoy it. Maybe I could get the coordinator there to write me a letter?

I also worked at a tech company for 1.5 years doing customer support. Would this be OK, since it is not remotely related to anything medical?

Yes, I might be able to get a letter of recommendation from a volunteer position and/or a recent job (I'm currently not working). Would this qualify as a "non-science" letter, though? Some schools specifically ask for a non-science letter from a faculty member. I guess getting a letter from a volunteer position or job would at least fulfill the requirement for a fourth letter that some schools require, since I only have three right now.

Would it be OK to get a letter from a volunteer position or job that is non-clinical? I tutor kids at an after-school program once a week, and I actually really enjoy it. Maybe I could get the coordinator there to write me a letter?

I also worked at a tech company for 1.5 years doing customer support. Would this be OK, since it is not remotely related to anything medical?

If you've been out of school and employed professionally, then a letter from your employer will be most welcome. I would put more weight on a letter from an employer (or recent employer) than from a volunteer coordinator if those are your choices.

Reactions: 1 user
If you've been out of school and employed professionally, then a letter from your employer will be most welcome. I would put more weight on a letter from an employer (or recent employer) than from a volunteer coordinator if those are your choices.

Thanks for your reply! I was employed from 10.2012-01.2014 and then from 06.2014-08.2014 under the same manager at the same company. This is my most recent employment. Do you think this would be recent enough?

Would it be OK for me to get both an employer letter and a letter from a volunteer coordinator?

If you've been out of school since 2012, then the LOR from an employer might be fine. If you went back to school in 2014, then a letter from a more recent faculty member would be better. The letter from the volunteer coordinator might be ok or it could be weak, sometimes those folks will only write, " This is to certify that [name] volunteered from [date] to [date] and provided x hours of service to the [agency name]. " Those letters are a waste of my time. If someone is going to write about your personality, your resourcefulness, your creativity, your team spirit, your resilience and your ability to walk on water, then we've got something worth reading.

I think a lot of schools take employer letters, as LizzyM mentioned. Contact the individual schools/read their LOR policy to find out what they require. In many cases, letters from employers and other professionals with whom you've worked will substitute for professor LORs in the case of students who have been employed for a number of years after undergrad.

Thanks, all! I'll try to get a letter of recommendation from my previous employer!

The last job I was at, my old manager left his position and a new manager took his place my last month at the job. I came back as a contractor under the new manager for about 3 months later on. Even though I was at the job for a total of ~18 months, I was only under my new manager for 3 of those months. Would I ask the current manager who was my manager for three months, or would I ask my old manager, even though he left the company?