what course helps most for mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedayatatime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...
Would it be more beneficial for me to take physiology instead of intro to bio (evolution/ecology) for the mcat? Is that acceptable as part of the one year of bio sequence required for med school? I won't be able to take both before the mcat. What do you think is covered most on the bio section? (I have already taken into to cell bio/physiology)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering...
Would it be more beneficial for me to take physiology instead of intro to bio (evolution/ecology) for the mcat? Is that acceptable as part of the one year of bio sequence required for med school? I won't be able to take both before the mcat. What do you think is covered most on the bio section? (I have already taken into to cell bio/physiology)

Evolution and ecology are their but MUCH less than physiology. I would say taking physiology would be extremely beneficitial before the MCAT.

But, for a lot of schools physiology is NOT acceptable as part of the one year of biology sequence. They want you to take GENERAL biology - they are already going to teach you physiology and don't really care whether or not you take it in undergrad.

Physiology at my school isn't even a bio course. I doubt it alone will satisfy your bio requirements.

I agree that Physio would be much more beneficial, although I'm also pretty sure that a lot of medical schools won't accept it as part of the Biology requirement. Just be like a Physio major(me) and have to suffer through both...

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought genetics helped a lot for some stuff. But physio would for sure help.

The ideal situation would be to take both genetics and physiology before the MCAT. Generally, I would say that physio is more important, but in the last MCAT administration it seems Genetics was tested more than physiology. Try to take both, but ask around to see if they stick with the Genetics trend and if so go ahead and take that.