What degree are you pursuing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I work with a faculty member in Athletic Training, and she also has to advise undergrad students. She often tells them that if they are truly interested in PT, then AT undergrad is not always the best move since the clinical hours and classroom material is tough, and it is hard to get a competitive GPA for admission to the PT program (right now average incoming GPA is about 3.6). So for the students who want to go to PT school, she often advises a degree that they can get higher grades in with less clinical hour requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it looks like my major is not represented here. I'm a senior in college and an East Asian Studies major with a concentration in Japanese language. I'm applying in this year's PTCAS cycle for the first time and really hoping to get into a DPT program. I fell in love with physical therapy ever since I starting volunteering in an outpatient PT facility a couple years ago.

I understand how it is important to have a back-up plan when you choose your major, but Japanese is something I took as an elective my sophomore year and fell in love with. So I think it is equally important to love what you study. Ever since I declared my major junior year and started taking the physical therapy prerequisites, my grades have improved despite the fact that I had more class time due to mandatory labs and language recitations. Every major has its challenges, but to me it is well worth it if you love studying it. If I don't get into a DPT program (I don't want to jinx myself though), I would take a year to study abroad and probably apply to teach English in Japan.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pursuing a degree in public health with a minor in business admin. from UWF. The business admin. Will hopefully aide me in opening my own practice one day.

My undergrad degree (2006) was in Business Economics.