What did you blow your money on recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't mind him, he likes to complain about the lack of blowjobs he gets from his wife after a hard day work

It helps to keep him going. It is rough out there! Working. Golden handcuffs. Changing diapers. A guy needs a break!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Spent bit under $1.5k buying parts for a 40TB home office server. I think the RAID controller card was the most expensive single component ($200 or so).

. Try to save at least as much in your 401k as your company match, or max you can (17.5 K for 2014, I believe) and 5.5k in an IRA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are part of a qualified plan through work, aren't IRA contributions non-deductible?

The only way you can do that is if you have a spouse who is not in a qualified plan and you can deposit on his/her behalf.

Members don't see this ad :)
It helps to keep him going. It is rough out there! Working. Golden handcuffs. Changing diapers. A guy needs a break!

You know what people say, the longer you've been marries, the longer you can go without sex. ;) Well, it's good to know that I don't need to go to a doc to complain about "low T" yet.

Now that I have a little break from all the craziness today... I've been meaning to educate myself a bit more on all these investment, saving, IRA, etc. cause so many people have told me to buy a house and not rent, invest in stocks, this and that etc. because they say "it's about time you think about these things !!" (including my parents LOL). I can say I am more fluent with HTN, HLD, OC treatment than I could, or hope to, be with all these financial matters. At my previous job I signed the paper, got the check and just worry about loans and rent and other bills; and now at my new much-more-comfortable-less-"P"VS-metrics-more-patient-focus job, I ...pretty much do the same stuffs (I know I am dump.... please criticize me LOL). But I don't know where to start; my friends and my accountant told me to go to Fidelity or my bank adviser but my gut told me these guys will try to sell me stuffs. LOL

Now that I have a little break from all the craziness today... I've been meaning to educate myself a bit more on all these investment, saving, IRA, etc. cause so many people have told me to buy a house and not rent, invest in stocks, this and that etc. because they say "it's about time you think about these things !!" (including my parents LOL). I can say I am more fluent with HTN, HLD, OC treatment than I could, or hope to, be with all these financial matters. At my previous job I signed the paper, get the check and just worry about loans and rent and other bills; and now at my new much-more-comfortable-less-"P"VS-metrics-more-patient-focus job, I ...pretty much do the same stuffs (I know I am dump.... please criticize me LOL). But I don't know where to start; my friend and my accountant told me to go to Fidelity or my bank adviser but my gut told me these guys will try to sell me stuffs. LOL

For someone like you....I would recommend anything Suze Orman. http://suzeorman.com/books-kits/books/the-money-class/

As much as I sometimes get annoyed with her voice and disagree with some of her advice, she does a decent job breaking it down for the majority of people who don't know much about personal finance.

Once you get caught up, come back here and lots of us can point you in the right direction. Just don't listen to anyone talking about gold or the end of the United States.

TO Jibby321 "Efff your student loans! #YOLO"
Haha...LOL I Wish

Reactions: 1 users
No new point here. We all know this is what you think.

How did you guess? LOL

The name of this thread should be changed to, "only if you had graduated before the super saturation.."

I'm still a student so I and still able to contribute to my Roth. But do any of you RPhs take part in a backdoor Roth?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still a student so I and still able to contribute to my Roth. But do any of you RPhs take part in a backdoor Roth?

been doing that since 2011. You don't have to do that when you are student, since you don't run into the income limit problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm... I guess it helps that I married someone very attractive. Honestly, a lot of it comes from the drop in testosterone most men experience during their wife's pregnancies. Some guys never bounce their level back; weight lifting and exercise help a lot.
An interesting theory, but I don't think that's it or at least major. If I had to use an n = 1, it's the pregnancy and parenthood that are the biggest killer of how often you do it. It's the triple threat of pregnant related physical changes, para/postpartum changes, and the sleep deprivation/child care. Similar to why birthrate drops when economic depression or disaster stress a population. I'm still horny, but you got to do what needs done first, leaving little to be yourselves. And for 2 different little bits of selves to match up the right time, it means... maybe once a week. We probably should have spent couple of years seeing what life is like on two pharmacist income and nothing to tie us down before the kids.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are part of a qualified plan through work, aren't IRA contributions non-deductible?

The only way you can do that is if you have a spouse who is not in a qualified plan and you can deposit on his/her behalf.

Yes, non deductible contribution $5500 to IRA, then you convert this immediately (the next day) to ROTH IRA so you don't pay capital gain taxes. This is the backdoor Roth IRA many of us doing. The money in ROTH can grow without capital gain tax when you withdraw it during retirement unlike a regular IRA. I hold 100% REITS in ROTH IRA account. Roth is the only tax efficient vehicle I have to hold it.

Last edited:
An interesting theory, but I don't think that's it or at least major. If I had to use an n = 1, it's the pregnancy and parenthood that are the biggest killer of how often you do it. It's the triple threat of pregnant related physical changes, para/postpartum changes, and the sleep deprivation/child care. Similar to why birthrate drops when economic depression or disaster stress a population. I'm still horny, but you got to do what needs done first, leaving little to be yourselves. And for 2 different little bits of selves to match up the right time, it means... maybe once a week. We probably should have spent couple of years seeing what life is like on two pharmacist income and nothing to tie us down before the kids.
So basically children=cockblock, marriage= cockblock, and marriage+children= ultimate cockblock. Lesson learned. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
So basically children=cockblock, marriage= cockblock, and marriage+children= ultimate cockblock. Lesson learned. ;)

This is why prostitution, Ashley Madison, and Adult Friendfinder flourish coz damn wiveys don't put out no more. Who is to blame really?

Reactions: 1 user
This is why prostitution, Ashley Madison, and Adult Friendfinder flourish coz damn wiveys don't put out no more. Who is to blame really?
Lol.

Clearly the feminist movement is to blame.

What's the property tax rate in FL?
It's pretty bad :( I pay $4,500 on a house worth about $350k after a lot of homestead exemptions. Plus most of the newer houses in South Florida are in gated communities so another $4,000 in HOA fees. A/C running year-round and I've heard of some people with $400/mo electric bills.

Yes, non deductible contribution $5500 to IRA, then you convert this immediately (the next day) to ROTH IRA so you don't pay capital gain taxes. This is the backdoor Roth IRA many of us doing. The money in ROTH can grow without capital gain tax when you withdraw it during retirement unlike a regular IRA. I hold 100% REITS in ROTH IRA account. Roth is the only tax efficient vehicle I have to hold it.

Basically one should put the least tax efficient investment in the Roth IRA. REIT and high yield bonds come to mind.

It's pretty bad :( I pay $4,500 on a house worth about $350k after a lot of homestead exemptions. Plus most of the newer houses in South Florida are in gated communities so another $4,000 in HOA fees. A/C running year-round and I've heard of some people with $400/mo electric bills.

But the property tax is tax deductible and no state income tax is... Can we say awesome?! Oh and you get to deduct sales tax too as a result. Woot!

All the people on this thread seem to make way too much money LOL I'd be happy if I am not behind on my rent and my student loan; I'd be even happier if I had a few extra bucks to buy new comfy shoes (been wearing mine ever since passing the NAPLEX LOL). I have no idea when that day would come when I could afford houses, cars, and all the expensive stuffs mentioned on here ....

i was once in your position...barely enough to get through the month...school sucked :)

Well, I guess I'm just lucky then.

Plus, we can hire a full time house worker/nanny for less than $400 a month here.

Perhaps latin culture is different, I've not run into his "no mans land" that every poor sap married to some white &$@"$ runs into when they have kids. I'd shoot myself in the head if I was married to an American androgynous feminazi again.

Taking the plunge on the first Disney vacation for the family. Airfare alone was $2,600 :vomit:

Our splurge last year where annual passes, which are expiring 7/3 so were going back for Fathers Day weekend.

If youre staying on campus: Hit MK in the AM, go home for a break/food then hit the other parks in the afternoon. Use fast passes for the rides with > 30 min wait times, generally after 1pm. We always stay on campus, so if you do definitely use the magic hours.

Have fun! This will be our 7th? weekend this year with the mouse. My nearly 2 year old has a blast and every time we go something new happens. Last time he literally ran up to Minnie and Mickey mouse to give them hugs...the kid freaked out. Last year he was very unsure.

What is all this depressing investment talk? I thought this thread was to talk about pissing away money?? lol

I am a car fanatic so that has been where the bulk of the money I have burnt has gone to (besides loans of course). First car was a 2013 Boss 302- was interesting for a while but not quite what I was hoping for for the money- so I cut down a little bit to a 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - which I loved. Now i have a daughter on the way so I said goodbye to the jeep and 11mpg and Daily a Jetta TDI and have a high mile s2000 that I picked up for cheap to use as a toy. Time to try and get out from under this debt!

Other than that, most of my other spending money gets invested into poker trips to Vegas and Florida when my wife is feeling nice haha

Still have very little money to blow, however since I found a circa 1920 Kodak No.1 Pocket folder in a box of my grandfathers stuff, I bought several rolls of medium format film that I know will probably turn out like crap as I learn to use this thing...

Still have very little money to blow, however since I found a circa 1920 Kodak No.1 Pocket folder in a box of my grandfathers stuff, I bought several rolls of medium format film that I know will probably turn out like crap as I learn to use this thing...

The lab you send to will make a difference.

Speaking of, I think my next "piss $$ away" purchase will be a Hasselblad. Oh baby!

Taking the plunge on the first Disney vacation for the family. Airfare alone was $2,600 :vomit:
Yikes, big family? We're going around Christmas and airfare was about 1/2 that for 4 adults. Flying with Southwest.

All this Disney talk makes me wanna Puke. Lol

Right now I'm awaiting the damage, but the estimate is $1900 to repair my Volvo.

Also bought plane tickets to Italy - had to match someone else's flight so they were $2000.

This was my "treat yoself" moment last fall:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402642056.937123.jpg

Lasik - 2200$
Lexus IS350 F Sport - 47600$
7 Day vacation to London & Dublin - ~2300$

Oh cheese and crackers, I'm about to get a 2013 c30. What happend to yours?

It's a 2004 Xc70 with 170,000 miles ;) I have it written down, but I think it's a "PCV box" and a "throttle service". It magically wouldn't stay running and the check engine light came on Tuesday.

I love this car to death, and the idea of replacing it makes me super sad face.

Are you doing the Stockholm trip? I know two people who did it this spring and looooooved it.

That sucks, it is sad when cars start to get too old and weird stuff goes. No, I wish I was doing the Stockholm thing. It was is used c30 (10k miles) and the dealership group had two in stock and, I think, underestimated how hard a niche two door hatch would be to sell. So after sitting for 3 weeks they were pretty eager to offload one to me at a very good price. Picking it up Monday but super sad to see my little fiat 500 go.

firstly - I'm calling BS without pics

(except the victoria secret - please don't post pics of your wife...that's for you alone)

I'm a bike guyyyyyyy (and I re-sell the bikes at a profit)

bought a 2005 DRZ110 for $500 (value ~$800-$1,000)

CAM00380.jpg

bought a 2000 YZ250 for $800 (value ~$1,300-$1,500)

CAM00067.jpg

and recently a 1990 CA street plated KDX200!

That sucks, it is sad when cars start to get too old and weird stuff goes. No, I wish I was doing the Stockholm thing. It was is used c30 (10k miles) and the dealership group had two in stock and, I think, underestimated how hard a niche two door hatch would be to sell. So after sitting for 3 weeks they were pretty eager to offload one to me at a very good price. Picking it up Monday but super sad to see my little fiat 500 go.

Ooh, I would consider a hatchback.

I've just always had a) a station wagon with b) AWD. I live in LA now, so it's not necessary, but it's like a crutch - just in case!

Whatever I get next will by default get better mileage, but I love the space.

This is what was in my car for my drive from Philly to LA 3 years ago - mind you, I had already started putting things away before I took the pic, and I was able to see out the back for my entire drive.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402796037.427369.jpg

Ooh, I would consider a hatchback.

I've just always had a) a station wagon with b) AWD. I live in LA now, so it's not necessary, but it's like a crutch - just in case!

Whatever I get next will by default get better mileage, but I love the space.

This is what was in my car for my drive from Philly to LA 3 years ago - mind you, I had already started putting things away before I took the pic, and I was able to see out the back for my entire drive.

View attachment 182221

You barely have anything... like a bag of clothes + MISC items?

You barely have anything... like a bag of clothes + MISC items?

The movers brought the rest.

That was from living out of my car for 6 weeks couch surfing.

Yikes, big family? We're going around Christmas and airfare was about 1/2 that for 4 adults. Flying with Southwest.

I too am on Southwest...but if you don't buy the first day those tickets go on sale, the price spikes. I delayed for two days (not sure why), and the price jumped from $2,200 to $2,600.
Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Just got back from a cruise! 7 days about $1000 for a balcony room