Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

What did you do you last days before the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jrb4087, 05.06.09.

1. jrb4087

jrb4087

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm curious to see what everyone did the couple days before the test.
  2. Mattabet

Mattabet Doctor Thunder

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I didn't overdo it. Six days or so before, I took a FL, and my score was right where I wanted to be. I'm sure I spent a couple of hours looking over information and reviewing, and I probably ran through a couple passages just to stay sharp, but it's not really something you can/should cram for.

I remember the logistical stuff being the real battle. I woke up super early (like 5:50 am) to get used to the fact that I'd have to be awake and lucid for the test, bright and early. I also got a taxi scheduled so that I could get to the testing center on time, for sure, no matter what. Things of that nature.
  3. PRodulous

PRodulous

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Same, I definitely didn't want to over do it. I know people that wanted to do 2 practice tests in a day, but I didn't think that was necessary. I kept reviewing as I had in previous weeks. I studied 2 hours so I kept myself in a good groove. Also had plenty of rest, ran 5 miles before my test (calmed my nerves), and got to the testing center an hour ahead of time. Where I tested, Prometric Testing Center, they allow you to take the test 30 min before the scheduled time.
  4. drpharMD

drpharMD Accepted Student

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Wow - the above poster was FOCUSED lol. I approached the exam like a regular exam the day before. I NEVER go into a test "dry" - meaning that I have to look at SOMETHING, no matter how miniscule it was. I did a practice Physical Sciences at the same time I was to take it the next day - not to overdo it, just to calm my nerves a bit (it definitely helped - I was real jumpy while doing the practice test and calm during the real thing). I had ordered all of the AAMC practice tests, so I looked through each Bio/Phys to see any problems that gave me trouble that could reappear in some other context (there were TWO on my exam - honestly!) Most importantly, I tried to keep my routine normal - I didn't want to overblow/overstress the importance of my test until I was sitting at the computer at the Prometric center. Finally, I avoided doing any Verbal Reasoning three or four days before the real thing - that was the section that would make me feel drained.
  5. texahn

texahn Yes

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Study.
    A lot of people will tell you that studying will not help you on the last day.
    Maybe it won't but I feel that it will hurt your confidence if you don't study up until you take the test.
    Look through all the practice exams, memorize again all equations, small facts, notes.

I psyched myself up for the test and told myself to expect the test to present a lot of unexpected sh*t. Which was true, much of stuff on my test was stuff I couldn't really have studied for directly. They didn't ask me to find V after giving me I and R.
  6. mcnulty

mcnulty

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My gf and I broke up about 2 weeks before, so I had no place to sleep. I ended up sleeping on a matress located on the living room floor of a friend's house. It was actually a lot of fun.

As david byrne would say 'my friends are important, don't you worry about me'
  7. OneMCATAway

OneMCATAway MDog 2K+

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i did everything i could to NOT study at all (only looked over some stuff for less than 30 min).. woke up at the same time i was going to wake up the next day, had lunch with my grandmother, and watched a movie before going to bed.. still didnt fall sleep for hours and when i did it was in cycles of <2 hrs :p

there is nothing you can learn the last that you haven't already learned so just try to take it easy and dont worry!! Good Luck :)
  8. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The first time I tested, I didn't study the day before at all - it was what everyone told me to do. That didn't work out so well :lol:

The last time, I continued light studying all the way through time to go into the test. Not cramming, just refreshing. That worked out much better.

I took my last practice test probably 3-4 days before, then reviewed. It's a little different for every person.. but if not studying freaks you out, by all means, look over your weak points the day before.
  9. mimigor

mimigor

just relax the day before. don't study! get a massage
  10. rockaction

rockaction casemed'14

Medical Student
    I took practice tests that week but on the day before I didn't do anything. It was actually my school's "service day", so I went with a group to sing songs and play bingo with alzheimer patients. That's the way to go.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal