What did you do you last days before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrb4087

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what everyone did the couple days before the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't overdo it. Six days or so before, I took a FL, and my score was right where I wanted to be. I'm sure I spent a couple of hours looking over information and reviewing, and I probably ran through a couple passages just to stay sharp, but it's not really something you can/should cram for.

I remember the logistical stuff being the real battle. I woke up super early (like 5:50 am) to get used to the fact that I'd have to be awake and lucid for the test, bright and early. I also got a taxi scheduled so that I could get to the testing center on time, for sure, no matter what. Things of that nature.

Same, I definitely didn't want to over do it. I know people that wanted to do 2 practice tests in a day, but I didn't think that was necessary. I kept reviewing as I had in previous weeks. I studied 2 hours so I kept myself in a good groove. Also had plenty of rest, ran 5 miles before my test (calmed my nerves), and got to the testing center an hour ahead of time. Where I tested, Prometric Testing Center, they allow you to take the test 30 min before the scheduled time.

Wow - the above poster was FOCUSED lol. I approached the exam like a regular exam the day before. I NEVER go into a test "dry" - meaning that I have to look at SOMETHING, no matter how miniscule it was. I did a practice Physical Sciences at the same time I was to take it the next day - not to overdo it, just to calm my nerves a bit (it definitely helped - I was real jumpy while doing the practice test and calm during the real thing). I had ordered all of the AAMC practice tests, so I looked through each Bio/Phys to see any problems that gave me trouble that could reappear in some other context (there were TWO on my exam - honestly!) Most importantly, I tried to keep my routine normal - I didn't want to overblow/overstress the importance of my test until I was sitting at the computer at the Prometric center. Finally, I avoided doing any Verbal Reasoning three or four days before the real thing - that was the section that would make me feel drained.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study.
A lot of people will tell you that studying will not help you on the last day.
Maybe it won't but I feel that it will hurt your confidence if you don't study up until you take the test.
Look through all the practice exams, memorize again all equations, small facts, notes.

I psyched myself up for the test and told myself to expect the test to present a lot of unexpected ****. Which was true, much of stuff on my test was stuff I couldn't really have studied for directly. They didn't ask me to find V after giving me I and R.

My gf and I broke up about 2 weeks before, so I had no place to sleep. I ended up sleeping on a matress located on the living room floor of a friend's house. It was actually a lot of fun.

As david byrne would say 'my friends are important, don't you worry about me'

i did everything i could to NOT study at all (only looked over some stuff for less than 30 min).. woke up at the same time i was going to wake up the next day, had lunch with my grandmother, and watched a movie before going to bed.. still didnt fall sleep for hours and when i did it was in cycles of <2 hrs :p

there is nothing you can learn the last that you haven't already learned so just try to take it easy and dont worry!! Good Luck :)

The first time I tested, I didn't study the day before at all - it was what everyone told me to do. That didn't work out so well :lol:

The last time, I continued light studying all the way through time to go into the test. Not cramming, just refreshing. That worked out much better.

I took my last practice test probably 3-4 days before, then reviewed. It's a little different for every person.. but if not studying freaks you out, by all means, look over your weak points the day before.

I took practice tests that week but on the day before I didn't do anything. It was actually my school's "service day", so I went with a group to sing songs and play bingo with alzheimer patients. That's the way to go.