What disqualifies from F30 grant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

telracs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned about the F30 grant a couple of years ago. Since then, I have been curious as to what factors or experiences might disqualify a person from obtaining it?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about disqualifications but have heard much about what they look for. I myself applied twice and didn't get it.

It has a high high percentage on your mentor and if they have received NIH funding. I didn't want to believe it and still applied (my mentor had no NIH funding) and I scored below 50% each time.

I heard at a conference a member of the review boards say that for these things they will pre-screen and if they don't like your mentor, they won't even look at the rest of the application. Unfortunate, but seemingly true. Just the way it works.

I'd start there and figure out how the rest of your application stacks up.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard at a conference a member of the review boards say that for these things they will pre-screen and if they don't like your mentor, they won't even look at the rest of the application..

Yeah... I agree. Get an 800 pound gorilla behind you and then work from there!

I was fortunate to have my grant proofread by someone who served on the study sections reviewing these grants. His advice was invaluable, and really changed the way I approached these grants. Your grant in itself needs to be reasonably well written (especially the specific aims page), but the bulk of your score comes from the training environment. The grant is not really funding your project. It is funding your career development. Your PI should have a good track record of training trainees. Your PI needs to outline exactly how he plans on mentoring you (e.g. plans to meet with you weekly). You need to outline the members of your thesis committee and each one can help your project. If your PI is not high powered, it will help to put someone high powered on your committee. It is even better if that person writes you a letter of support. You need to outline all the resources available at your institution (a mouse genetics core? Three atomic force microscopes? etc). Really focus on how your PI, your committee, and your institution are going to help you do great things. And if all possible, find someone who reviews these grants and get their honest feedback.