What do Emergency Room Pharmacists do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zrchrn

PharmD Student C/0 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's pretty much all in the title. I'd like to know what typical things an a pharmacist working in the emergency room might do/encounter. Thanks for your help with this information.

p.s. sorry If this is the wrong section, I couldn't quite figure out which one would be best.

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty much all in the title. I'd like to know what typical things an a pharmacist working in the emergency room might do/encounter. Thanks for your help with this information.

p.s. sorry If this is the wrong section, I couldn't quite figure out which one would be best.

Its mostly toxicology related management. I also find that physicians love it if A pharmaciss knows about herbals/alternative treatments considering how they know almost nothing about it. You'll be surprised on how many patients have a reaction or OD on it.

Dosing recommendations, follow-up on antibiotics, toxicology information, medication counseling, medication reconciliation, and much, much more.

It's a very interesting field. Changes a lot from day to day and from place to place. I've really enjoyed the few times I've been able to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to understand the function of ER. It's highly sensationalized that every patient is carried into ER on the brink of death by good looking EMTs only to be revived by good looking ER docs and nurses...on TV.

ER can be an exciting place yes. But more often than not, it's a place in a hospital that accounts for majority of hospital admissions. So, the bulk of hospital orders including medications are ordered in ER. Wouldn't it make sense to have a pharmacist to make sure ordered medications are appropriate?

That's what an ER pharmacist does.

You need to understand the function of ER. It's highly sensationalized that every patient is carried into ER on the brink of death by good looking EMTs only to be revived by good looking ER docs and nurses...on TV.

ER can be an exciting place yes. But more often than not, it's a place in a hospital that accounts for majority of hospital admissions. So, the bulk of hospital orders including medications are ordered in ER. Wouldn't it make sense to have a pharmacist to make sure ordered medications are appropriate?

That's what an ER pharmacist does.

A smoking hot EMT I saw last week would like to disagree. The rest is true.

A smoking hot EMT I saw last week would like to disagree. The rest is true.

well.....better hurry and spray fire extinguisher on the burning EMT...or spray some ice cold water to put out the smoke

well.....better hurry and spray fire extinguisher on the burning EMT...or spray some ice cold water to put out the smoke

There was someone already on the job. I just wish I knew how she caught fire.

it depends a lot on the specific practice. Some places make you do a lot of med rec. Some are purely clinical with zero order entry.

My ideal practice would be like the hospital where I worked. A 50:50 mix of clinical and staffing duties - computer available in the ED to do order entry, and call the main pharmacy if for some reason you can't enter all of your own orders. However, attendance is expected at all codes and traumas. We had dispensing privileges in the ADCs so we could draw up the fentanyl and versed before it was asked for etc.

Being freely available to the medical residents and nurses for any drug information questions. Oftentimes I was the one to call poison control on ODs. Sometimes I was the hand-holder on a trauma patient.

Overall what I like about the ED is the variety. I love ID and critical care - and you see some of that down there. But you also see peds, IM, geriatrics, cards, general ambulatory complaints. I feel like it is the best utilization of my education with enough intensity to keep me interested.

The ER pharmacists in our institution also participate on the Trauma team -- helping to dose and draw up medications during a trauma. This is similiar to what the pharmacist does on a code team.

You don't stand there near a fire, and you better know proper fire extinguisher technique. Don't you know RACE and PASS? :smuggrin:
You have obviously
Been in too much orientation this month!

You don't stand there near a fire, and you better know proper fire extinguisher technique. Don't you know RACE and PASS? :smuggrin:

ehhh...when I was an intern, my lovely manager put me in charge of inservicing every pharmacy staff, one on one, for JCAHO (now TJC) prep.

I discussed RACE and PASS more than you've been drunk in your life.