What do I do now and during my gap yeaR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd be in this position and would never have applied to my university if I did. My grades are bad and I'm devastated that I did not take advantage of the many opportunities my school offers.

I'm a senior (just began the year) and have little ECs. Hospital volunteering, clinic volunteering, and some non-medical volunteering.

I have worked in a lab as a grunt work assistant and as a summer student learning many useful things I never got to put to work.

I am crushed and don't know what to do. If no one is willing to give me a chance as an undergraduate, who will give me a chance after I graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

I never thought I'd be in this position and would never have applied to my university if I did. My grades are bad and I'm devastated that I did not take advantage of the many opportunities my school offers.

I'm a senior (just began the year) and have little ECs. Hospital volunteering, clinic volunteering, and some non-medical volunteering.

I have worked in a lab as a grunt work assistant and as a summer student learning many useful things I never got to put to work.

I am crushed and don't know what to do. If no one is willing to give me a chance as an undergraduate, who will give me a chance after I graduate?

#1 Academics - What are your cGPA and sGPA? What is your MCAT? You need to sort out your academics before thinking about anything else.

#2 You didn't take advantage of things or people didn't give you a chance? Those seem to be opposites.

#1 Academics - What are your cGPA and sGPA? What is your MCAT? You need to sort out your academics before thinking about anything else.

#2 You didn't take advantage of things or people didn't give you a chance? Those seem to be opposites.
People aren't giving me a chance now that I'm a senior. I should have taken advantage when I was younger.

No MCAT yet, cGPA = 3.2, sGPA = 3.10 but waaay lower without cc classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by people won't give you a chance now that you're a senior. Why not? Chances at what?

And anyways, like mimelim said: you've got to get that GPA up (especially since it sounds like you've had a downward trend) before you start to worry about getting more ECs.

If you want to go to Med school if those stats, your best bet is to take two gap years, with your first being a grade booster post-bacc. If you really work hard, and take the mcat during this time, you will be set to apply. Then your second year you can do something else, like get a job

Reactions: 1 user
Further - if you want to do this ^, start researching post baccs now to see if you need to have an mcat score or what else is required and what the application timelines are. Also use this year to get really get involved in some extra curriculars, like one or two with at least 10 hours a week each so that you have stuff to talk about on your application. Also of course try to do as well as you can in your classes. With a whole year of college left you are far from toast trust me

Email a few professors to see if they will sponsor your MS degree. Or just get a job and do volunteering.
I don't know how much a post bac will actually help with your GPA... Maybe consider DO?

Email a few professors to see if they will sponsor your MS degree. Or just get a job and do volunteering.
I don't know how much a post bac will actually help with your GPA... Maybe consider DO?
I'm fine, I should get a 3.3 science by the end of this year and with a postbacc of sciences, it'll be up to 3.6, without even considering the classes as retakes, higher if I apply to DO.

I'm not sure what you mean by people won't give you a chance now that you're a senior. Why not? Chances at what?

And anyways, like mimelim said: you've got to get that GPA up (especially since it sounds like you've had a downward trend) before you start to worry about getting more ECs.
Chances at research. I am, my classes this quarter are a joke.

I dont get it.

It could be your school vs mine.

I went to CC and uni, and majored, and minored, and also had classes just for ****s and giggles. As long as I was full time credits, passing, and not at 150% program length number of credits, I could just keep taking classes after classes.

Go to a pre-health advisor if your school has one.

Why were your grades bad? In what courses? What is your major? Do you have a minor?

You might be able to NOT graduate, change a major, add a minor, retake some past courses, or take at a higher level (if you took gen chem for non-majors that doesn't count for pre-med pre-req or only counts for BA in psychology, changes may let you take gen chem again but a different series if your school like many doesn't allow repeating courses).

If the issue isn't about aptitude for science but how hard you studied, you might be able to change some stuff around, take more and harder courses for A's & B's, stall graduation and add a few more years, all of which would let you bring the GPA up, have an upgoing trend, prove you can get better grades in harder classes, let you keep getting aid, not have to get a masters, and buy you more time to take advantage of school opportunities like work-study science research, work harder in another lab for pubs, get involved in clubs/leadership, more shadowing hours, better LORs from teachers of classes you're doing better in.

I don't know enough about your situation.

If your school has it you need to go to the school health sciences advisor, your current dept advisor, consider another department and go to them, go to the financial aid advisor for sure. Scour your college webpage and/or handbook and financial aid guidelines.

I never got bad grades, and without changing majors I was able to get like 270 credits or something, I was a "senior" for like 3 years just because my major was major in terms of number of credits (not all majors require the same number of credits) and my minor didn't overlap at all with my major, my major didn't totally overlap with pre-med reqs, my CC courses didn't totally overlap with uni, and some courses I did for the hell of whatever reasons at the time. Med schools only required 1 or 2 quarters of biochem but I did the whole sequence even though it didn't fill my major or minor reqs. I did genetics and biostats just because some med schools required it, again, it didn't specifically count towards my degree.

None of this may apply to you, but I'm guessing you don't *have* to graduate at the end of this year and could stall and turn it around.

Learn a foreign language. That can add well-spent credit hours that aren't gen ed or major or minor that can lift your GPA but not look like filler to med schools because second language is always a good skill (especially if you go for certain ones).

You could major in accounting, minor in music, take all your med school pre-reqs and then some, and do foreign language, and add some dance classes and add some Eastern Studies and all make it work without doing a post-bacc.

Or do a post bacc.

Point is, this droopy approach isn't helpful or likely even a reflection of reality.

Now, if you really don't have an aptitude for science, have untreated mental health issues, unaddressed learning disabilities, or just generally aren't up for studying 12+ hrs a day to get mostly A's, that's a different problem.

If this is just an issue that you didn't buckle down and now it's senior year, there is definitely a way to fix this, but you will have to buckle down.

I didn't even give you gap year ideas because I'm not sure you have to do a gap year.

If you do, there's plenty of things. Aside from research, none of them are glamorous but they can make your app better.

More of the same. Paid research. Elderly/memory care buttwiping without any licensing. EMT but inpractical as far as money and time for course vs time spent.

If you can do enough low pay science research or "med" related ie caretaking jobs to live on instead of school financial aid support, then it's more of the same meaning you fill the rest of your time shadowing, volunteeering, saving humanity and doing things that are interesting on paper and in an interview. Paid tutoring?

Threads and ideas and craigslist abounds.

So basically I got bad grades because of intense anxiety.. It ran my life.

I can't keep going to school here because my school's tuition is 45k a year and financial aid at my school (which covers over 75% of my bill) only covers you for 4 x 3 = 12 quarters.

I never really tried in classes. I know I can succeed and already am in my upper levels which are a piece of cake when compared to the weed-out premed reqs.

For my gap year I'm hoping I can land a job at my university's medical school (research). I know this might not be possible without any experience so I probably will probably be a CNA/scribe while taking a full course load at a state school.

Any chance of tranferring before grad to your in state school? Any chance that would be cheaper and let you take to rsise grades? Otherwise post-bacc or master's not a bad idea. But don't take more credits until you know you're in a place to improve.

Sorry to hear of your struggles with anxiety. Are you able to get treatment?

Good luck

Any chance of tranferring before grad to your in state school? Any chance that would be cheaper and let you take to rsise grades? Otherwise post-bacc or master's not a bad idea. But don't take more credits until you know you're in a place to improve.

Sorry to hear of your struggles with anxiety. Are you able to get treatment?

Good luck
Unfortunately not, but I will do a post-bacc, I already started the application process!
I am in the place to improve, though I am getting down on myself for ****ing up so royally. My cousin's my age and is going to get into the top law schools while I was here twiddling my thumbs for three years.

Yes, I am getting treatment. :)

Reactions: 1 user