What do I have to know about granulosa and theca cells?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David513

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple question here: what is relevant for the MCAT about granulosa and theca cells? Is it just that granulosa cells form the zona pellucida and appear around the primary oocyte, and theca cells appear around the secondary oocyte to assist in entering the luteal phase?

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate the help but unfortunately that document mentions neither granulosa nor theca cells. In fact, it doesn't even mention the menstrual/ovarian cycles at all.

I answered your question. Your question is too specific so I pointed you to the guide. That topic is NOT really on the MCAT and is TOO detailed. The MCAT is not testing details to the depth of your question, therefore, waste of energy, IMO.

So, let's start from scratch.

What topic do your specific cells relate to?
Is that on the MCAT guide?

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, your assistance is appreciated Ad2b, but perhaps it would be best if someone else answered my question. Thank you for your guidance so far.

lol - w/e - you want to be spoon fed. got it. I'm not the person to dig out the Gerber's and saddle up to a high chair.

a quick Google search gives you the answer but your unwillingness to research for yourself is telling...

Pretty simple question here: what is relevant for the MCAT about granulosa and theca cells? Is it just that granulosa cells form the zona pellucida and appear around the primary oocyte, and theca cells appear around the secondary oocyte to assist in entering the luteal phase?
@David513
Typically this level of detail is well beyond what the AAMC expects of you, unless they want to put in in a passage, which they can and will do. We do not have a lot of data to say for sure how deep into any 1 topic the AAMC will delve, but given as these systems are not new to the 2015 exam, and the AAMC has never, in my experience have not been tested as required knowledge before, I would not waste time learning them unless you have mastered a lot of other material first.

No one can tell you exactly what the AAMC will test right now, but given that this topic is not mentioned in the outline nor is it closely connected to the reproductive material they DO mention in the link helpfully provided by @Ad2b , I would move on.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thank you very much @NextStepTutor_2 !

For anyone who is reading this thread and is curious, I have concluded that knowing that theca cells produce an androgen that is converted to estradiol by granulosa cells' aromatase during the follicular phase of menstruation is sufficient knowledge for this topic.

Thank you very much @NextStepTutor_2 !

For anyone who is reading this thread and is curious, I have concluded that knowing that theca cells produce an androgen that is converted to estradiol by granulosa cells' aromatase during the follicular phase of menstruation is sufficient knowledge for this topic.

Thanks for letting us know bud. Just letting others who had read this thread know, none of that knowledge is necessary.