What do I need to do to boost my resume/Does undergraduate school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a second semester undergraduate freshman at -------. I finished my first semester with a 4.0 GPA and I am confident that this semester I can do the same. I already talked to a dentist and obtained a shadowing position over the summer with a dentist. I have not done any volunteering yet, but plan to get more involved my sophomore year.

Is doing research important to get into dental school? What do top dental schools look for in an applicant? Do top dental schools (such as ivy leagues etc.) care about where one spends their undergraduate years?

Would transferring to UT Austin and keeping a high GPA there look better on my resume than my 4.0

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that dental schools even look at the undergraduate school. I received acceptances at Columbia and Penn from a low-ranking public school. Just keep your GPA high. Research is a bonus, but it's not required at all. I had no research.

I am from a NAIA level school. D3. Only 2000 students on campus. I was recently accepted into two programs. My educated guess is that schools will look at you and your stats/accomplishments rather what university you went to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I debated transferring from North Texas University to UT Austin, for the same reason. From talking to the admission staff, they don't really care that much about what school you are coming from, just that you did well and were active during undergrad.

You're doing good to get shadowing done early (I waited until Junior year to start all that stuff :confused:). Try to keep yourself well rounded. They like applicants that do a lot of extracurricular, on top of good grades.

MAKE SURE you get some volunteering done at the CCA free health clinic in lewisville. I volunteered there for a summer and every school I interviewed with told me they loved that on my application. You can google them and email Charlene Bell and she can help you set something up!

Hi. I'm currently a high school student aspiring to he a dentist. UTD is on of my top choices for undergrad and I had a few questions if you don't mind... What is your major? How is the predental community at utd? How are the science professors? Thanks!