What do i need to do to get into any US school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvbbnumber41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says I need help on what I need to do in order to get into a DO school. I am currently a junior at Binghamton University. I will take the MCAT this summer and will apply next fall. I still need to take molecular genetics and biochemistry.

Current Major: Integrative Neuroscience
Current GPA: 3.47 (expected graduation GPA: 3:6) --> had a 2.4 first year..... last 60 credits taken have been around a 3.9
Science GPA: 3.51 (expected graduation Science GPA: 3.5) --> still have to take biochem

As far as ECs
100 hours of volunteer hours at SBU hospital
50 hours of volunteer at local PT clinic
Sports Medicine Internship (7 hours a week) 2 semesters
ACE certified personal trainer
Club Jiu Jitsu Captain
Neuroscience Club
Tae Kwon Do Club
TA for Evolutionary Psychology Class
Local kid wrestling assistant coach

What else should I do in order to make myself a better candidate? I realize getting into a DO school may be a stretch for me, but this is what I decided to dedicate my life too.

Members don't see this ad.

Nail the MCAT and you'll have your pick of DO schools and a solid shot at MD schools too.

Get some shadowing hours. Research would be a bonus if you can swing it.

Just keep doing well in school. Spend as much time as necessary to get the best MCAT score you can even if it means taking a gap year. Try and get some volunteer and service work with the underrepresented, less fortunate, under-served in diverse areas as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow a DO (most require DO letters and it's better than not to have one) and rock the MCAT. I agree with @ChrisMack390 that MD schools are also an option if you do well on the MCAT.

Shadow a DO (most require DO letters and it's better than not to have one) and rock the MCAT. I agree with @ChrisMack390 that MD schools are also an option if you do well on the MCAT.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. As far as shadowing I asked three general family care MDs in the past and they all turned me down. Is there a way to find more shadowing opportunities? I'm not really sure how to go on about doing this.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. As far as shadowing I asked three general family care MDs in the past and they all turned me down. Is there a way to find more shadowing opportunities? I'm not really sure how to go on about doing this.
no need to shadow an MD specifically!!

I was lucky: my premed advisor gave me the number of a well known preceptor to shadow who wrote me an incredible LoR. If I was in your position, I'd visit (not call) the offices of Dr's you'd like to shadow and ask to speak with him or her one on one. Just Google offices of specialties you're interested in. I'd recommend shadowing a primary care doctor if you are interested in DO as it shows commitment to primary care, which DO schools in general love.