What do I need to strengthen my resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sft2e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med student in my freshman year at a state university. I have a 4.0 and expect to keep something close to that through graduation and will have over 200 hours of shadow experience. I do not have any other EC's but I am an student athlete. How does my resume look?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a pre-med student in my freshman year at a state university. I have a 4.0 and expect to keep something close to that through graduation and will have over 200 hours of shadow experience. I do not have any other EC's but I am an student athlete. How does my resume look?
You've made a nice start and already plan far in excess of the typical shadowing listed on an application.

The average applicant has about 1.5 years of clinical experience. Most gain this at the rate of 3-4 hours weekly by volunteering to help care for sick people somewhere (nursing home, hospital, clinic, hospice, etc.). Average shadowing is 50ish hours split among a few types of doc, including primary care. Nonmedical community service is another activity that gives strength to an application. I'd also get that going as soon as you can, even if only 2 hours weekly, ideally for a cause that you care about; something that serves the poor is a good idea, though other volunteerism is OK. A year of research is about average, but even a summer's worth helps you. Besides these, leadership and teaching activies benefit you, too. Intercollegiate athletics has its own category and should definitely be listed.