What do Intraoperative monitoring neurologists make in salary? I am considering IOM fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candoccan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do Intraoperative monitoring neurologists make in salary? I am considering IOM fellowship, Any input appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that IOM is pretty lucrative, but I don't have any numbers for you. Frankly, I can't understand why anyone would want to go into this besides for the money. Sitting, staring at some squiggly lines all day on a computer screen and waiting for them to go flat. Sounds like a boring version of Anesthesiology.

Honestly not very much and the field has dried up as something neurologists do. There was a time where you could have one doctor remotely monitor a few surgeries at a time and be able to bill independently for that. Now that surgeries are reimbursed in one lump sum for everything involved in the procedure and 30 days of aftercare... at least that was my understanding. At the center where I did my fellowship, a lot of these were performed by the neurophysiology techs and results read after the procedure was totally finished, mainly spine cases with evoked potentials to make sure nothing important got cut or compressed.

I did do a decent amount of IOM for epilepsy surgery, but if you're doign that on the regular you'll be at an academic center where your salary may or may not be tied to what you end up billing for. There will also be a lot of trained epileptologists in that center that will probably want to do their own IOM on their patients. We would just have one staff on for doing IOM per week and they would take the cases if and when they came up