About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

What Do Med Schools Prefer...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by collegefreak12, Dec 4, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. collegefreak12

collegefreak12

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know similar question have been answered, but could you guys just answer mine anyways?

Do med schools look at the difficulty of your major/ minor? Lets say for example there was someone in Liberal Arts vs. someone with like a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in biomedical engineering. Would the latter be favored because of the more difficult courses? Or, how about if we replace the first guy with someone in the sciences, like some sort of biology or chemistry. Who would be preffered?

Lastly, would it look good to med schools if you double major in Bio-medical engineering and mechanical engineering?

Thanks for the help.
  2. BloodySurgeon

BloodySurgeon Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sadly not as much as you would think. They take in consideration that you will have harder semester load than other candidated, but ultimately the answer is no. I called every med school in the nation and they reponded with, "We are not bias to any major." My suggestion is to pick a major that you will enjoy. The more you enjoy the subject, the easier it is to study and do better in it.
  3. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    A psych major with a 4.0 is going to have fewer obstacles than an EE major with a 3.3, in most cases. A lower GPA will get you automatically screened from a lot of schools. That said, pick something you'll like, because you'll probably do better if you do something you like.
  4. szhao

szhao finitelyclosed

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    so the solution is simple, do well in the major you like hehe. if you really like it you tend to do well anyways.
  5. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What's better 4.0 Psych or 3.6 ENG? Depends on the person looking at your file.

What's better 4.0 Psych or 4.0 ENG? Most likely ENG, but also depends on person looking at your file... worst that can happen is you're equal.
  6. etf

etf Moderator Emeritus

SDN 7+ Year Member
    the computer at a lot of schools sees it this way:

4.0>>3.6

your major doesn't matter. pick one where you're so interested in the material, you couldn't get lower than an A- if you tried.
  7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    The majority of adcoms will view it this way too, at least for the preliminary cuts.
    Your major is not going to decide whether you get into med school or not. Your GPA might.