What do you absolutely love about being a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ali110884

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you absolutely love about being a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't work in retail, pharmacy is relatively easy for a six figure salary. I want to accumulate as much wealth as possible while maintaining my good health. So far I am doing well and I am glad I got into this profession at the right time.

I can't say the same for my retail friends or people with a lot of student loan debt. They can't just pack their things and leave.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't work in retail, pharmacy is relatively easy for a six figure salary. I want to accumulate as much wealth as possible while maintaining my good health. So far I am doing well and I am glad I got into this profession at the right time.

I can't say the same for my retail friends or people with a lot of student loan debt. They can't just pack their things and leave.

I'm in retail and I'm perfectly happy. I want nothing to change.

Have you worked the day shift lately?

Reactions: 1 users
I like the money...and at least it doesn't take like 10 years to come like other professions. It is always good to look at the positives :D

Last edited:

Are all of your student loans paid off?

Are all of your student loans paid off?

Yup, life is good when you are debt free. Instead of paying 6.8% interest rate, I invest my money and let my money work for me. More importantly, I don't have this worry over my head. I control my destiny, not some big wigs who want a bigger bonus this year.

Yup, life is good when you are debt free. Instead of paying 6.8% interest rate, I invest my money and let my money work for me. More importantly, I don't have this worry over my head. I control my destiny, not some big wigs who want a bigger bonus this year.
That's awesome! Congrats on that.

The people
The money
And my chair, which is killing me slowly

Members don't see this ad :)
Da money.
Cushyness of the job once you get the hang of it.
Da young nurses. What hormones do they feed american chickens? :eek:

^^ sometimes it is better for someone who is married to keep his thoughts to myself

The flexibility my job provides to be home with the kids more.
The ability to work part time and still make a decent amount of money.

I like almost everything about pharmacy. I like the physical work of mixing IV's & filling prescriptions, I like the puzzle work of figuring out drug interaction & solving problems, I like providing people with solutions, I like learning about drugs and how they work. I definitely like the good pay, the flexible hours, the ability to work part-time or over-time, the ability to work anywhere in the country (outside of LA, PA, or NYC), the fast pace of work (it makes the day go fast & is like a video game trying to keep all the plates in the air at the same time.)

I love my job because I work at home and don't have to deal with customers.

I love the scheduling too. Right now I have Thurs, Fri, Sat off, but can swap with other RPh to get up to 6 days off in a row without using vacation time. Though I get 4 weeks vacation plus 6 holidays off anyway.

I love how it feels to be in my 30s making 6 figures and to have paid off my student loans. It's a huge burden taken off your mind and it bumps up your disposable income a lot. I don't have to worry about money anymore, so I don't have to worry about working hard or being really competitive either. "Don't worry, be happy" right? Yes, I am relaxed and happy :)

The ample and early money that makes it so I don't have to love pharmacy.

I have to admit with the money it has enabled me to do things that I know otherwise I would have never done. And the fact I was smart with money and now 100% debt free...Im just working for retirement!

1. Stable salary / income
2. Flexibility, allowing time for family/friends/hobbies/vacation etc.
3. Direct patient care
4. Learning and teaching opportunities
5. Team work

I like almost everything about pharmacy. I like the physical work of mixing IV's & filling prescriptions, I like the puzzle work of figuring out drug interaction & solving problems, I like providing people with solutions, I like learning about drugs and how they work. I definitely like the good pay, the flexible hours, the ability to work part-time or over-time, the ability to work anywhere in the country (outside of LA, PA, or NYC), the fast pace of work (it makes the day go fast & is like a video game trying to keep all the plates in the air at the same time.)
It's so good to hear positive feedback. Everywhere I look now ppl are posting neg abt hating retail, student loan debt, & lack of jobs! It's disappointing when im generally so excited abt possibly pursuing a career in this field. Like I dream about it lol!! But its a major decision for my family. ...Im 30. I'm married with 3 little boys & it may be the most challenging thing I'll ever do. ....If I decided to.

I'm in retail and I love counseling patients.

I think that would be my favorite part too!
Are you in school now? Trust me academia and hospital pharmacists are biased and anti retail. I truly feel I've made more of a difference in my patient's lives working in retail than I ever did in my hospital and clinical rotations. That's just my opinion. The secret to retail get a good store. Seriously! The people who hate retail more than likely work high volume.

It's so good to hear positive feedback. Everywhere I look now ppl are posting neg abt hating retail, student loan debt, & lack of jobs! It's disappointing when im generally so excited abt possibly pursuing a career in this field. Like I dream about it lol!! But its a major decision for my family. ...Im 30. I'm married with 3 little boys & it may be the most challenging thing I'll ever do. ....If I decided to.
Almost all jobs out there have some BS that one has to deal with... The good thing about pharmacy, medicine and dentistry is that you make a decent salary dealing with these BS... Many other professions can't say that.

Last edited:
Are you in school now? Trust me academia and hospital pharmacists are biased and anti retail. I truly feel I've made more of a difference in my patient's lives working in retail than I ever did in my hospital and clinical rotations. That's just my opinion. The secret to retail get a good store. Seriously! The people who hate retail more than likely work high volume.
Not yet! If I go the pharmacy route I'll be gearing up to start my prerequisite within the next month. My other options are Diagnostic medical sonography or dental hygienist.

Not yet! If I go the pharmacy route I'll be gearing up to start my prerequisite within the next month. My other options are Diagnostic medical sonography or dental hygienist.

Nice. So you are about to start college. Either way try to find things to enjoy about your work it makes life better.

Nice. So you are about to start college. Either way try to find things to enjoy about your work it makes life better.
Yep....I wish I had started 5 years ago. Oh well I guess it'll be that much more sweeter in the end.

Yep....I wish I had started 5 years ago. Oh well I guess it'll be that much more sweeter in the end.
Well nothing better than now I'd say have no regret. Also get a tech job in the mean time get in bed with a company and it will take you further.

Good pay and great hours. Work Monday to Friday, 6am to 330pm. Off all weekends and holidays

Everywhere I look now ppl are posting neg abt hating retail, student loan debt, & lack of jobs! It's disappointing when im generally so excited abt possibly pursuing a career in this field.

This is true and it is going to get worse by the time you graduate. Since you are already 30 year old and have a family to support, you are already at a disadvantage. You wont have as much time to study and to work as other students.

Is your family prepared to move with you? Would you need to borrow more student loans to support your family while you are in school? What if you have to move to rural Kentucky for a job, would they move with you? Lets say you graduate by 37 and have 250 k in student loan debt, would it still be worth it? Just be prepared. Dont turn a dream into a nightmare.

I'm in retail and I love counseling patients.

This is also true. I like it when I get the opportunity to spend like 20 minutes just completely analyzing a person's situation and making a good, positive recommendation. And then they come back a few days later and tell me that whatever I told them to do worked.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, maybe your bitch ass should be more specific with blanket accusations of retail sucking.

That is not what you were saying when you had your cushion hospital job!

This is true and it is going to get worse by the time you graduate. Since you are already 30 year old and have a family to support, you are already at a disadvantage. You wont have as much time to study and to work as other students.

Is your family prepared to move with you? Would you need to borrow more student loans to support your family while you are in school? What if you have to move to rural Kentucky for a job, would they move with you? Lets say you graduate by 37 and have 250 k in student loan debt, would it still be worth it? Just be prepared. Dont turn a dream into a nightmare.
Thanks for all the points you made. I'm in South Ga. We have a lot of pharmacies around CVS, Walgreens, Rite aids, & family owned. Also plenty walmarts, Krogers, Targets & so on. Oh & 4 hospitals. I dont think we would have to move but the loans scares me.

That is not what you were saying when you had your cushion hospital job!
That job was the thing of nightmares. It started out okay, they the recession hit and the manager used it as an excuse to cut hours like crazy. When you find yourself alone on a Saturday in a 180 census hospital, something is wrong. Even Z told me to get the hell out of that place...lmao...

Thanks for all the points you made. I'm in South Ga. We have a lot of pharmacies around CVS, Walgreens, Rite aids, & family owned. Also plenty walmarts, Krogers, Targets & so on. Oh & 4 hospitals. I dont think we would have to move but the loans scares me.

how much do you think you would need to borrow? ballpark figure

Patient interaction, being a respected by patients and staff, the fast pace and adrenaline , getting exercise at work, pride in getting through an enormous queue, great hours and vacation (8 hour shifts, 4 weeks vacation, almost no weekends),unlimited overtime when I want it, and the ability to control and contribute to my store's destiny and future as a community fixture.

All in all, it's pretty much exactly what I'd hoped.

Practice setting: rural, high volume chain store.

Honestly, I hope to never leave retail. All in all I am much happier with my life than I was when working clinical job in a corner office.

how much do you think you would need to borrow? ballpark figure
Well the only pharmacy school in our city is a private accelerated 3 yr program (http://www.southuniversity.edu/nurs...ograms/pharmacy-degrees/tuition-and-fees.aspx) It's a full time 12 quarters @ $11,580.00 per quarter ouch!! Ikr!!! The only other schools are 2 hours away. Or I could do Creighton University online but I think they cost abt $32,000 each yr for 4 yrs. I dont even think I could work full time & go to school. I make $33,000. @ my current job. So if i give that up.....it's looking pretty costly!! Lol might just need to go with one of my other two options Diagnostic medical sonography or Dental hygienist. What u guys think?

Last edited:
Well the only pharmacy school in our city is a private accelerated 3 yr program (http://www.southuniversity.edu/nurs...ograms/pharmacy-degrees/tuition-and-fees.aspx) It's a full time 12 quarters @ $11,580.00 per quarter ouch!! Ikr!!! The only other schools are 2 hours away. Or I could do Creighton University online but I think they cost abt $32,000 for 4 yrs. I dont even think I could work full time & go to school. I make $33,000. @ my current job. So if i give that up.....it's looking pretty costly!! Lol might just need to go with one of my other two options Diagnostic medical sonography or Dental hygienist. What u guys think?

I gave up a job that paid about 40K to go to pharmacy school. I had 180K in loans after the interest was tallied. I've paid off a large (50K+) chunk of that since graduation (2011). My current salary is more than three times what I made at my old job. I'm happy with my choice. You have to figure out what's right for you.

physician assistant; it is cheaper and it's not as long. the pay is also pretty good and you get to have direct patient contact if that's what you prefer

physician assistant; it is cheaper and it's not as long. the pay is also pretty good and you get to have direct patient contact if that's what you prefer
Haven't really looked into it.....I'll definitely be doing some research on it. Thanks everyone for all your inputs. This site is truly amazing! Can you tell I'm a newbie?! Lol ...1 week in:)

Granted, PA is only 2 years, BUT they usually only take people who already have a 4 year degree, so on average, it will be the same length of time.

Honestly, I hope to never leave retail. All in all I am much happier with my life than I was when working clinical job in a corner office.

For some reason I thought you were a VA person. You must have made a career change?