What do you do to motivate yourself during those hard times?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyrising

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I thought I'd ask a question that's somewhat less academic in nature.

I'm sure a lot of us have been there at some point or another. That moment when all of our friends are out enjoying their life/partying while you're stuck with your head buried in a textbook studying for oChem. Or even worst, perhaps your friends have already graduated with a bachelor's, gotten a good job (50k entry salary), bought a car, house, married, live their life and have low debt.. and you're still buried in a textbook racking up 400k+ in loans. What do you do or think of, in those times to help motivate yourself to keep working hard and pushing on?

1. It may sound shallow but one thing I do is look up nice apartments haha and dream that I might be able to afford them one day. I'm talking ones with community spas and all the bells and whistles :p
2. I also think of my immigrant parents and how hard they work every single day for little pay/appreciation for what they do just to support me and my siblings, to give us a chance at a better life. I think of how I'll eventually be in a position where I can give back to them financially so that they can live their life/dreams.
3. I think of all the other professions/careers I've spent countless hours researching and how much I'd dread doing any of them for even a year, let alone my entire life.
4. I think of dentistry and how it's literally the only profession that I can see myself enjoying.
5. I look at nice apartments again :)

Please feel free to share your own motivations and/or tactics to keep yourself focused on academics. I'm super curious!

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd ask a question that's somewhat less academic in nature.

I'm sure a lot of us have been there at some point or another. That moment when all of our friends are out enjoying their life/partying while you're stuck with your head buried in a textbook studying for oChem. Or even worst, perhaps your friends have already graduated with a bachelor's, gotten a good job (50k entry salary), bought a car, house, married, live their life and have low debt.. and you're still buried in a textbook racking up 400k+ in loans. What do you do or think of, in those times to help motivate yourself to keep working hard and pushing on?

1. It may sound shallow but one thing I do is look up nice apartments haha and dream that I might be able to afford them one day. I'm talking ones with community spas and all the bells and whistles :p
2. I also think of my immigrant parents and how hard they work every single day for little pay/appreciation for what they do just to support me and my siblings, to give us a chance at a better life. I think of how I'll eventually be in a position where I can give back to them financially so that they can live their life/dreams.
3. I think of all the other professions/careers I've spent countless hours researching and how much I'd dread doing any of them for even a year, let alone my entire life.
4. I think of dentistry and how it's literally the only profession that I can see myself enjoying.
5. I look at nice apartments again :)

Please feel free to share your own motivations and/or tactics to keep yourself focused on academics. I'm super curious!

I agree. But boy oh boy do I get mad jealous of my friends with computer science degrees making 80k starting with full benefits at 23 years old, with no loans living with parents just racking up that money. Some who are 2 or 3 years out in the field are hitting managerial role making 130k. Heck even some of my friends still in school as a Junior making 30 dollars a hour as an intern!!! When I think about it again makes me just rage. Sigh... I went through a big period of just being bitter, but that is their story not mines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yea I'm still finding that even when I'm about to start dental school haha. In undergrad, I knew where I was going, what I needed to do. After dental school orientation this week, I'm feeling murky about what I'm supposed to do next week when real school work starts lol

Like you, I'd probably think about my immigrant parents who basically couldn't help me in any way except giving me some money here and there for gas and groceries.
I have tunnel-vision sometimes so I only focus at the tasks at hand so I can leave the full reality aside for a while.
I try to find someone to talk to, especially those who can reassure me about my doubts.

If I find more, I'd let you know haha

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Yea I'm still finding that even when I'm about to start dental school haha. In undergrad, I knew where I was going, what I needed to do. After dental school orientation this week, I'm feeling murky about what I'm supposed to do next week when real school work starts lol

Like you, I'd probably think about my immigrant parents who basically couldn't help me in any way except giving me some money here and there for gas and groceries.
I have tunnel-vision sometimes so I only focus at the tasks at hand so I can leave the full reality aside for a while.
I try to find someone to talk to, especially those who can reassure me about my doubts.

If I find more, I'd let you know haha
Congratulations on getting one step closer to the end goal my friend. Good luck on the upcoming year!

"A person can stand just about anything for 10 seconds, then you just start on a new 10 seconds. All you’ve got to do is take it 10 seconds at a time.”

Listen to "Go the distance by Roger Bart" or go to disneyland haha Ironically disney songs keep me going :)

Looking forward to waking up every day knowing I'm personally making a difference in people's health. Such a privilege, and dentistry motivates me every day (despite any obstacles).

Your reason #2 is my #1 motivator when the going gets tough. When my parents were first in the process of immigration/getting settled in America, they held odd jobs like making dolls in sketchy factories for mere cents and driving taxi cabs to support the family. I didn't even learn about these things until this year after graduating college because they were too embarrassed to tell me when I was younger. I'm really glad I know now though because their perseverance through those hardships just makes them even more awesome than they already are, and I'm super proud to call them my parents. They're the hardest workers I know, and still to this day, work their butts off 6 days a week for nearly half the day all to give me a better life. Thanks, mom and dad :thumbup: Like you, I'd also like to give back to them financially so they can treat themselves to a real vacation for once.

Or even worst, perhaps your friends have already graduated with a bachelor's, gotten a good job (50k entry salary), bought a car, house, married, live their life and have low debt.. and you're still buried in a textbook racking up 400k+ in loans.

Yep, that is the worst! All my friends and roommates have real jobs making money and I'm here like ... making my grids for hole punching, yayyyyyy -_-

Patience brother. Once you persevere, you will make more than said 50k friend, and the trends will be reversed.

Reactions: 1 users
Patience brother. Once you persevere, you will make more than said 50k friend, and the trends will be reversed.
Indeed lol. It's not so much the money that makes me bitter though, it's the fact that they've started their lives while I'm still in school. That said, I'd rather be in school than have to go to work every day hating what I do.. which is very likely for me if I don't go into dentistry. I genuinely considered accounting at one point, out of desperation. Yikes :p

Thinking about all the lives I've touched and how more training will make me even better

Being grateful for whatever I have ("count your blessings") and reminding myself "this too shall pass" seem to do the trick.

Good food and naps help too lol.

Reactions: 1 users