What do you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy closed at 6. Naturally someone pulled in teh drive-thru at 5:58. Your tech/you takes care of them, it is now 6:05ish. You take the registers out, lock the pahrmacy door, you close the gate to the pharmacy and as you are just walking away a customer runs up to you screaming I need my med now!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you give them the option of getting it filled the same night? Anything less than 10 min before closing is next day pick up. You should ring them out at the front so you learn your lesson

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, unless it's one of your favorite customers they get to come back tomorrow. Store hours are not a mystery and if you walked up to the bank 5 min after closing youd get locked doors

It would be illegal to help them in Massachusetts. In reality, if they're nice I help them (credit card only). If they aren't, I give them 1 day supply of their medicine and they can come back tomorrow.

Yeah, it has happened before when i was still actually in the pharmacy grabbing my things/filing/closing up and then ill grab it and ring it up quick if they are pleasant/i recognize them.

but techs, drawers, and myself were out of the pharmacy. I had never seen the customer before and it wasn't a customer who had dropped something off within the past hour or so. She even mentioned something about an insurance issue so i was like ok nope no way, it was something that had been in ready status for awhile im sure. I told her we have been closed since 6 (it was now 6:07) and she could come back tomorrow at 10 or go to a 24/h store 2 miles away . I saw her complaining to the store manager as i exited the store.

I rang up a guy who shook the closed (not yet locked gate at 6:01 while my other tech was still getting someone in the drive thru and i regret it because he was rude as **** and ungrateful and i wish i had said no and walked out.

Just thought i'd post to see what y'all said. I've only been practicing 6 months or so, so i like to see how other people handle specific situations. Had it been new script, etc. I would have paged the patient/called them/waited a few extra minutes

Last edited:
It would be illegal to help them in Massachusetts. In reality, if they're nice I help them (credit card only). If they aren't, I give them 1 day supply of their medicine and they can come back tomorrow.

Why illegal in Massachusetts?

Why illegal in Massachusetts?
I think it's to keep pharmacies from selling OxyContin at 3am secretly. Not sure. Might just be to make sure the Board of Pharmacy has control since they need to approve changes in operating hours?

Why say anything at all? A closed gate is a pretty good indication of if the pharmacy is open or not and I assume the hours are posted in plain sight. At the most I let them know that we open at X and close at Y.

In my experience last minute customers aren't easy customers. If they are dropping off a new rx for zpak ill type it up and if no problems then fill it real quick. Any signs of problems and it will be ready tomorrow or we can transfer to nearest 24hr store