What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_Doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get an idea of what people have done that really puts them head and shoulders over the competition. I fear with mounding courseloads (next semester being 20 credits), my ability to do extracurriculars and unique experiences will be limited so I'd like to know what you (my fellow pre-meds) classify as unique.

so what makes you better than john or jane q public in terms of uniqueness?

:)

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopeful_Doc said:
I am trying to get an idea of what people have done that really puts them head and shoulders over the competition. I fear with mounding courseloads (next semester being 20 credits), my ability to do extracurriculars and unique experiences will be limited so I'd like to know what you (my fellow pre-meds) classify as unique.

thanks.

The reality is that most people on this board are passionately dedicated into getting into medical school and will stop at nothing to do so. So really, since everyone will get in, it's pointless to do this type of thing :D

Hopeful_Doc said:

thanks.
I did a year abroad doing stuff totally not medically related. I think it really altered my world view and helps me bring a unique perspective to med school.

BTW, You might want to check out this thread too: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=273317&highlight=hook

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing. I'm a generic suburban white kid from a medically inclined family with an average GPA and decent MCATs with a few choice ecs thrown in.

Not the type of person you'd add to your school to advertize it's diversity.

Hmm... this really sounds like an ego-stroking thread...

What's unique about me (in comparison to other pre-meds)? I love scuba diving and skydiving. Somewhat less unique, I love travelling and learning languages.

Edit: I'm also very spontaneous, and don't really get to worked up about anything. I'm really more of a type-B personality than anything, which I suppose makes me different than most pre-meds / med students! :laugh:

My fingerprint. :thumbup:

And if that doesn't sell them, I don't know what will.

austinap said:
Hmm... this really sounds like an ego-stroking thread...

What's unique about me (in comparison to other pre-meds)? I love scuba diving and skydiving. Somewhat less unique, I love travelling and learning languages.

Edit: I'm also very spontaneous, and don't really get to worked up about anything. I'm really more of a type-B personality than anything, which I suppose makes me different than most pre-meds / med students! :laugh:

me too! i'm learning chinese right now. ;)

edit: i LOVE to try skydiving someday. :)

i'm beautiful on the inside, but more importantly, i'm bootyful on the outside. ;)

what sets me apart from the other premeds? how about 12.75 inches :D

austinap said:

I just went skydiving yesterday!! Really gives you, uh, perspective. I really do mean that though.

In response to the OP, everything you can think of has already been done. By more than a handful of people I'd wager. Whether you choose to do the most obscure or the most common things, the only thing that's going to make you seem unique is your perspective coming out of it. And you shouldn't have to stress about this because it comes from a combination of all your past experiences. I'd say the only surefire way to go is to do things you love, don't hold back, and keep your eyes open.

novawildcat said:
what sets me apart from the other premeds? how about 12.75 inches :D

i really hope for your sake that you mean you're either really short or really tall. cuz if it's the other meaning, i have to ask, do you get light headed?

kirexhana said:
i really hope for your sake that you mean you're either really short or really tall. cuz if it's the other meaning, i have to ask, do you get light headed?

ROFLMAO. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
maestro1625 said:
Nothing. I'm a generic suburban white kid from a medically inclined family with an average GPA and decent MCATs with a few choice ecs thrown in.

Not the type of person you'd add to your school to advertize it's diversity.

It's about time someone just says it how it is.

I know it doesn't mean much coming from someone you'll never meet in real life, but you have just earned my respect :D

I am in the exact same position. No, I am not a woman, or a minority, or someone who has volunteered in Africa to pretend I care or any other BS. I am a white male who works hard and there is nothing wrong with that. :oops:

kirexhana said:

Maybe he's got some sort of booster pack... :laugh:

MDGuy07 said:
I am in the exact same position. No, I am not a woman...

LOL. Being a woman hasn't set you apart in applying to med school for a few years now.

kirexhana said:

lol I specifically train in high altitudes so that i have a high number of RBCs so that i don't get light headed when I have to perform.

Anastasis said:
Nice. :laugh:

I would totally accept you, mama! :love:

YES!

I have a place to call my own. You won't regret it, Anastasis SOM! I promise! :love:

MDGuy07 said:

I know it doesn't mean much coming from someone you'll never meet in real life, but you have just earned my respect :D

I am in the exact same position. No, I am not a woman, or a minority, or someone who has volunteered in Africa to pretend I care or any other BS. I am a white male who works hard and there is nothing wrong with that. :oops:

Sometimes people volunteer because they care.

mychelle774 said:
I just went skydiving yesterday!! Really gives you, uh, perspective. I really do mean that though.

In response to the OP, everything you can think of has already been done. By more than a handful of people I'd wager. Whether you choose to do the most obscure or the most common things, the only thing that's going to make you seem unique is your perspective coming out of it. And you shouldn't have to stress about this because it comes from a combination of all your past experiences. I'd say the only surefire way to go is to do things you love, don't hold back, and keep your eyes open.

I love skydiving! I got trained in on a static line, so I never even had to go tandem. It really is quite a rush knowing that you have to pull that little string within about 5 seconds or you're going to hit the ground at 110 mph. Somehow, scuba diving is still considered more dangerous than this.... ;)

My strange list of ways to pass my free time:

1. Sports-Football (passionate Green Bay and ND fan) and College Basketball
2. A Roller Coaster Enthusiast (go ahead and ask me what coasters are at a park in North America, if its not an extremely small park Ill be able to sprout out their names, type, and weither or not I like them, or if I havent ridden it what most Enthusiasts think about it)
3. Big Movie fan (mostly the mindless summer blockbuster stuff though, so Im not a movie snob)
4. History Buff (and a holder of a BA in History)

Its not the indivdual things just the combination. When it comes to actual skills I agree with the rest of the board in saying Im really not any different then any other pre med on this board when looked at a whole about the important stuff. Thats why getting into medical school is a crap shoot.

MDGuy07 said:

I'd volunteer in Africa because IT"S AFRICA! Comeon, you wouldn't go to Africa for free (or at least, cheap) if you could? Who cares if you're working in the process, you get to see a side of things that most people don't get to. I have the 'touristy' type trips, I love the adventure.

Rafa said:
LOL. Being a woman hasn't set you apart in applying to med school for a few years now.

In Canada women have a higher matriculation rate than men do.

My apologies if this is not true in the US, although when I read the class breakdown of most classes, they are usually greater than 50% female. I have not checked the raw number of applicants, so I don't know if it is due to more women applying than men.

Hmm...the only unique things I have going for me are I'm working as a DNA Analysis intern for the FBI in Quantico this summer, and I speak a decent amount of French and Italian and am slowly learning Russian.

MFP

Touchdown said:
My strange list of ways to pass my free time:

1. Sports-Football (passionate Green Bay and ND fan) and College Basketball
2. A Roller Coaster Enthusiast (go ahead and ask me what coasters are at a park in North America, if its not an extremely small park Ill be able to sprout out their names, type, and weither or not I like them, or if I havent ridden it what most Enthusiasts think about it)
3. Big Movie fan (mostly the mindless summer blockbuster stuff though, so Im not a movie snob)
4. History Buff (and a holder of a BA in History)

Its not the indivdual things just the combination. When it comes to actual skills I agree with the rest of the board in saying Im really not any different then any other pre med on this board when looked at a whole about the important stuff. Thats why getting into medical school is a crap shoot.
Any place better for coasters than Cedar Point? I rode all of those and I'm looking for more.

It depends on the school, nationally it averages to 50:50 male to female.

Anastasis said:
Sometimes people volunteer because they care.

Not likely in the medical admissions process. :oops:

However, say someone has volunteered at a clinic every weekend for over 10 years, then I would agree with you.

I think it's safe to assume the level of volunteer work most premedical students do will "greatly diminish" once accepted into medical school. :D :D

mfpullen said:
Hmm...the only unique things I have going for me are I'm working as a DNA Analysis intern for the FBI in Quantico this summer, and I speak a decent amount of French and Italian and am slowly learning Russian.

MFP

Dove ha imparato la lingua? Cerco qualcosa con cui posso parlare.

I'm a *#@^%*$ potato, with too many #%@*^)! eyes.

MDGuy07 said:
Not likely in the medical admissions process. :oops:

However, say someone has volunteered at a clinic every weekend for over 10 years, then I would agree with you.

I think it's safe to assume the level of volunteer work most premedical students do will "greatly diminish" once accepted into medical school. :D :D
Yeah, I would have to agree with that much. But not ALL people only volunteer because they want to get in. I volunteered abroad before I even though about med school.

I do agree that there is a ton of resume padding though.

austinap said:

Ho imparato la lingua in Firenze e' Roma. Dove lei ha imparato l'italiano?

mfpullen said:
Ho imparato la lingua in Firenze e' Roma. Dove lei ha imparato l'italiano?

Lo ho imparato da solo, primo che andavo al'Italia.

austinap said:

io posso parlare italiano :)
posso parlare con te -
e' un piacere perche non sone molte opportinita' per pratticare!

ho imparato la lingua all'universita' - tre anni la' e un viaggio in italia era buona per diventare fluida con la lingua. (come vuol dire fluent? - fra la e oggi, ci sono sei anni, e non parlo con facilita' ancora - ma allora, scrivo italiano!.

e' un piacere incontrarti!

4paw

ha..ha.
translation would be nice.

4paw said:
posso parlare con te -

ho imparato la lingua all'universita' - tre anni la' e un viaggio in italia era buona per diventare fluida con la lingua. (come vuol dire fluent? - fra la e oggi, ci sono sei anni, e non parlo con facilita' ancora - ma allora, scrivo italiano!.

4paw

Più persone hanno bisogno di imparare italiano! È una lingua sorprendente!

Anastasis said:
Yeah, I would have to agree with that much. But not ALL people only volunteer because they want to get in. I volunteered abroad before I even though about med school.

I do agree that there is a ton of resume padding though.

When medical schools basically mandate it (let's be honest, if you don't volunteer it WILL HURT you) you will get alot of people volunteering just to say they did it.

BrettBatchelor said:
Any place better for coasters than Cedar Point? I rode all of those and I'm looking for more.

As you can see from my avaitar Im a big fan of the point (allthough its not my favorite park bit looses to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and Disney World because roller coasters should not be the end all be all of the park,) assuming youre in Ohio though Kings Island down in Cinci is a great park, with my favorite wooden roller coaster (and the worlds longest) the Beast! But nationally out of the ones Ive been to (and off the top of my head: )

5 stars (I wish I could live here: )
-Disney World
-Islands of Adventure & Universal (FL)
-Busch Gardens Williamsburg (VA)
-Cedar Point

4 stars (would love to have a season pass to these: )
-Paramount's King's Island (OH)
-Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hersheypark (PA, going there a week from today :) )
-Six Flags Fiesta Texas (TX)
-Kennywood (PA)

3 stars (definatly worth my time: )
-Six Flags Great America (IL)
-Holiday World (IN)
-Canobie Lake Park (NH)
-Dorney Park (PA)
-Guargea Lake (OH)
-Worlds of Fun (MO)

4paw said:
posso parlare con te -

4paw

Benissimo! Neanche'io ho molte opportunita' per pratticare! Ho cominciato ad imparare tre anni fa (piu o meno, veramente!), ma non ancora parlarlo molto spesso. Non c'e nessuno qui che parla la lingua!

mfpullen said:
Più persone hanno bisogno di imparare italiano! È una lingua sorprendente!

Si! A secondo me!

Touchdown said:
As you can see from my avaitar Im a big fan of the point (allthough its not my favorite park bit looses to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and Disney World ecause roller coasters should not be the end all be all of the park,) assuming youre in Ohio though Kings Island down in Cinci is a great park, with my favorite wooden roller coaster (and the worlds longest) the Beast! But nationally out of the ones Ive been to (and off the top of my head:)

5 stars (I wish I could live here: )
-Disney World
-Islands of Adventure & Universal (FL)
-Busch Gardens Williamsburg (VA)
-Cedar Point

4 stars (would love to have a season pass to these: )
-Paramount's King's Island (OH)
-Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hersheypark (PA, going there a week from today :) )
-Six Flags Fiesta Texas (TX)
-Kennywood (PA)

3 stars (definatly worth my time: )
-Six Flags Great America (IL)
-Holiday World (IN)
-Canobie Lake Park (NH)
-Dorney Park (PA)
-Guargea Lake (OH)
-Worlds of Fun (MO)
I've been to all of the ones I bolded above. Thanks for the other tips.
I really want to go to England to ride Oblivion.

Youre definatly on your way to becoming an enthusiast, have you considered joining ACE? In addition to the magazines and invites to ERT events membership also gets you 1/2 off an admission to PKI and a walk back at the start of everyday to take the first ride on the Beast.

I havent jumped the pond yet either sadly, but if you go to Tampa or wait a year and go to Williamsburg (according to rumor) you can ride the same kind of ride (only longer and with more elements.)

Check out Sheikra!

sheikra1_g.jpg

c'era una volta... circa 1998....quando ho avuto un fidanzato italo-canadese. siamo andati a sui genitori ogni weekend per fare la pranza alla domenica. tanti chiachierate circo la tavola, e non ho saputo niente. ho voluto prendere la lingua! e, ho preso la lingua, magari ho perso il fidanzato! be'.

io vivo in Toronto, Canada, c'e' un communita' italiano qui, ma la gente e un po' piu' vecchia di me. C'e il t.v. anche - dove state, voi?

Anche, sia possibile che le mods smettere i posti in una lingua strana perche' e' difficile do controllara qualcosa che non e' saputo!

Nota il mio nome - 4paw, per communicare di piu' - forse sia possibile di trovare un mod per poste in spagnolo/italiano, per la gente che volgia pratticare????

i'm impressed w/ the language!! :D :)

edit: i will catch up w/ you guys after learning chinese. ;)

e_phn said:
i'm impressed w/ the language!! :D :)

edit: i will catch up w/ you guys after learning chinese. ;)

e-phn -

the crazy thing is both myself and my cousin have learned italian and neither of us have italian roots. one of the translations is that i learned italian because i had a fiance' once who was italo-canadian. gaelic is the language i *should* be learning, or cree, for current love :)

so, you go girl! whatever language! do it for love, do it for knowing what the heck people are talking about, and whether they are talking about you :)

CptCrunch said:
Go for cantonese, we make better food.

I second that. Many of my friends are asian (including my best male friend) and ever since I have become adicted to everything from Cantonese to Tai food. Sometimes I can't tell the difference very well but I love all of it the same. :luck: (Too bad my white roomate won't try anything besides chicken or hamburgers, and trust me, I have tried....)

CptCrunch said:
Go for cantonese, we make better food.

ha..ha. my friend speaks cantonese, and he is trying to persuade me to learn cantonese. but i'm stuck w/ mandarin for life.

4paw said:
c'era una volta... circa 1998....quando ho avuto un fidanzato italo-canadese. siamo andati a sui genitori ogni weekend per fare la pranza alla domenica. tanti chiachierate circo la tavola, e non ho saputo niente. ho voluto prendere la lingua! e, ho preso la lingua, magari ho perso il fidanzato! be'.

io vivo in Toronto, Canada, c'e' un communita' italiano qui, ma la gente e un po' piu' vecchia di me. C'e il t.v. anche - dove state, voi?

Anche, sia possibile che le mods smettere i posti in una lingua strana perche' e' difficile do controllara qualcosa che non e' saputo!

Nota il mio nome - 4paw, per communicare di piu' - forse sia possibile di trovare un mod per poste in spagnolo/italiano, per la gente che volgia pratticare????

Che peccato con il suo fidanzato! Mi dispiace per ascoltarlo.

Non posso ricoarde perche volevo prendere la lingua, ma comiciavo ad impararlo alcuni anni fa, e poi andavo al'Italia il gennaio scorso. Ho convinceto il mio amico a venire con me. Era molto divertente, e desidero tornare a Firenze quest'estate. E il mio favorito citta in tutto il mondo!

Spero che il mods non smetteranno i posti, ma e un buon idea a trovare un mod per poste in lingue straniere.

Mi dispiace per tutti i mie sbagli. Non ho usato la lingua fra molto tempo, forse un mezz'anno. Provo a leggere il giornale piu spesso, ma non e sempre posibile.

I grew up on a farm. Having rural roots has helped me some at my school because they are trying to get doctors in underserved regions. All but for counties in Kansas are underserved (where I'll be attending).