What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Severus said:
OMG... Rugirlie is that you? Are classes over for you all yet?

Whoaaaaaa RUGIRLIE is back!!!!!!! If that is so, I just wanted to say YAYYYYYYY!!!!!! I never understood why she got banned in the first place. She was sooooooooo awesome and her posts were hilliarious beyond hillarious. :p :D :)

Members don't see this ad.

javert said:
Have you been to Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ)? Obviously I'm biased because I'm from Jersey but I definitely think its an awesome park and most recently had the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world... although my bf tells me that Cedar Point usually holds this title the rest of the time so maybe thats not such a boasting point...

If your girlfriend is the former RUgirlie, tell her I say hi, and that I miss her funny posts on SDN. If only she could get a new acct. ;)

TheProwler said:
Wow, really? I didn't realize that.

However, you missed the fact that the poster you quoted didn't deny that fact, s/he simply said that they are NOT someone who volunteered while pretending to care.

As for me, I can't think of anything I've done that someone else hasn't done before in a bigger, better way, but I'm dedicated and hard-working, and if I put my mind to it, then I can accomplish it.

Really. Tool.

And you would have realized, had you stopped to read the rest of his and my posts, that he actually was implying what I thought he was: that the majority of premeds volunteer only to pad their resumes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering because you care is like being a pre-med because you want to help people or joining the army to serve your country. Those are never the real reasons, it's just one of the benefits. I became a medic to help me get into med. school and pay for college. I'm volunteering to get a good idea of how doctors/hospitals work and to "pad my resume."

Anyway, my main selling point is that I roundhoused Chuck Norris and his head was decapitated. I then proceded to sew his head back onto his body bringing hime back to life. I don't think anyone can beat that.

MirrorTodd said:
Volunteering because you care is like being a pre-med because you want to help people or joining the army to serve your country. Those are never the real reasons, it's just one of the benefits. I became a medic to help me get into med. school and pay for college. I'm volunteering to get a good idea of how doctors/hospitals work and to "pad my resume."

Anyway, my main selling point is that I roundhoused Chuck Norris and his head was decapitated. I then proceded to sew his head back onto his body bringing hime back to life. I don't think anyone can beat that.
I would say "helping people" is the real reason. Everything else is just icing. :)

Touche, that's what I meant to say but I didn't know how to explain it. I suppose I meant that everybody wants to help, so it seems like a cheap way to answer. When people ask me why I joined the army, I never want to say because I needed money, it seems selfish. But I also don't want to say to serve my country because that's seems like such a cliche. It's the same for my volunteering. I had no idea what to say when the coordinator asked me why I wanted to volunteer. I guess I should be worried about the med. school interveiwer asking why I want to become a doctor. In the words of Derek Zoolander: " I guess I have a lot to ponder."
P.S. Sorry if I seem like an A$$hole or a "gunner." I just can't envision myself doing anything else besides medical work.

MirrorTodd said:
Touche, that's what I meant to say but I didn't know how to explain it. I suppose I meant that everybody wants to help, so it seems like a cheap way to answer. When people ask me why I joined the army, I never want to say because I needed money, it seems selfish. But I also don't want to say to serve my country because that's seems like such a cliche. It's the same for my volunteering. I had no idea what to say when the coordinator asked me why I wanted to volunteer. I guess I should be worried about the med. school interveiwer asking why I want to become a doctor. In the words of Derek Zoolander: " I guess I have a lot to ponder."
P.S. Sorry if I seem like an A$$hole or a "gunner." I just can't envision myself doing anything else besides medical work.
:laugh: actually I wasn't mad. Just stating a fact. I'll put a smilie next time :)

I usually don't like posting that on this message board because 1. People don't believe me or 2. start flaming me.

Anastasis said:
:laugh: actually I wasn't mad. Just stating a fact. I'll put a smilie next time :)

I usually don't like posting that on this message board because 1. People don't believe me or 2. start flaming me.

And just to add, you don't sound like and dingus or a gunner. Just realistic. No worries :)

:laugh: it's a joke actually! I usually have nothing useful to say and the vast majority of my posts are in the MCAT random thread.

If you want to make a custom title go to User CP ---> Edit Profile ----> and then there should be something like Custom User Title where you can add your own.

Severus said:
OMG... Rugirlie is that you? Are classes over for you all yet?

Yes, Sev, it is I! hehe I moved out of the building in Sept to move in with my boyfriend but unfortunately still pay rent... ugh.. and no classes don't end until June 19th! So we have an exam in a week and a half or so in endocrine and then an entire month of GI till summer break... sigh... and the campus is so deserted isn't it? What in the heck are you doing for next year?

javert said:
Yes, Sev, it is I! hehe I moved out of the building in Sept to move in with my boyfriend but unfortunately still pay rent... ugh.. and no classes don't end until June 19th! So we have an exam in a week and a half or so in endocrine and then an entire month of GI till summer break... sigh... and the campus is so deserted isn't it? What in the heck are you doing for next year?

YAY!!!!!!!! Glad you are back with us!!!!!!!!!! I missed your funny posts that you used to post!!!!!!! :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :p :D :)

gujuDoc said:
If your girlfriend is the former RUgirlie, tell her I say hi, and that I miss her funny posts on SDN. If only she could get a new acct. ;)

WOW, I feel sooooo loved.. so this is acutally Rugirlie herself hehe.. and to end the mystery that I didn't know existed (aka why I got banned) was actual that I requested it.. lame I know but I wanted to make sure I couldn't distract myself during med school so I asked to be banned... and that worked for a while but then eventually I got the sdn itch again and took over my bf's account (aka javert)... so now anytime its a post by javert, its me.. he NEVER comes on sdn and he thinks i'm a nut for still being on here hehe but I can't help it, this site is sooo entertaining! Thanks so much for the love!!! :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
javert said:
WOW, I feel sooooo loved.. so this is acutally Rugirlie herself hehe.. and to end the mystery that I didn't know existed (aka why I got banned) was actual that I requested it.. lame I know but I wanted to make sure I couldn't distract myself during med school so I asked to be banned... and that worked for a while but then eventually I got the sdn itch again and took over my bf's account (aka javert)... so now anytime its a post by javert, its me.. he NEVER comes on sdn and he thinks i'm a nut for still being on here hehe but I can't help it, this site is sooo entertaining! Thanks so much for the love!!! :love: :love:

Oh ok. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not too many people ask for bannation (I know I just made up a word). :p

But seriously, yeah I agree with you. Its people in the random thread and Florida thread and people like you back in the day when we were discussing getting drunk days in an old thread that seriously crack me up and have me laughing out loud.

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not too many people ask for bannation (I know I just made up a word). :p

But seriously, yeah I agree with you. Its people in the random thread and Florida thread and people like you back in the day when we were discussing getting drunk days in an old thread that seriously crack me up and have me laughing out loud.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yea Sdn def kept me laughing through the app process and still continues to entertain me... I don't know when I'll finally give up this guilty pleasure (sdn) for good... I don't have the willpower.. lol

absolutely nothing, i mean i've done stuff i thought was soooo original & what not trying to separate myself, but being on sdn i've noticed at least 1 other person here has done what i did or something similar.

javert said:

Ugh... June 19th seems so far away. Are you going to stay in town and do research or are you going to take a holiday?

Be glad that you moved out of the building when you did; some of the staff are teh shady. I'm getting tired of paying $1000/month for my place, so I'm thinking of moving in with some of the people from my lab.... West Philly represent. :horns:

As fo' next year, I'm applying. *crosses fingers and toes*

have fun... stay in touch...

We should totally set up a Philly SDN thing at New Deck. I'm becoming too addicted to the place. :rolleyes:

mshheaddoc said:
Ok, make it in august :D I'll plan it!

Oh and HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII E!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAH both E's . HAHAHAH.

Fo' shizzle... you heard it here, folks. Philly SDN Smackdown at New Deck in August 2006. :D

Oh and what sets me apart from other applicants is that I am a crazy jersey girl stuck in Oklahoma. The hardships that I have faced makes me a better woman. :smuggrin:

Where the hell is New Deck? I must have missed that one when I was home.

eh, i think that if anything, the one thing that will make me memorable from interviews is the fact that I survived a 3 month long coma a couple of years ago. really life-changing ordeal and something i'm proud of.

mshheaddoc said:
Where the hell is New Deck? I must have missed that one when I was home.

I'm totally hijacking this thread...I'm sorry (actually, no I'm not).

New Deck is on 34th and Sansom, right in and around Penn.

newdeckoutside.jpg
:thumbup:

Severus said:
I'm totally hijacking this thread...I'm sorry (actually, no I'm not).

New Deck is on 34th and Sansom, right in and around Penn.

newdeckoutside.jpg
:thumbup:

Count me in!!!!!!!! Yea, get out as soon as ya can.. and West philly is cheap so yay for that... btw, did you see/hear about what happened on the 37th st stop on campus today?!!!!! My bf and I saw the police and yellow tape and all... crazy, I take that subway line to school most days... anywho, hi M!!! We should all totally hang out soon

I'm a real, live, bona fide, tomboy.
I can out car-talk most mechanics. The guys at work pick my brain about their car troubles. And I swapped a new motor into my truck this week. :D

(I'm not going to depress everyone with my life history. I might lose my edge then. :D )

MDGuy07 said:
Not likely in the medical admissions process. :oops:

However, say someone has volunteered at a clinic every weekend for over 10 years, then I would agree with you.

I think it's safe to assume the level of volunteer work most premedical students do will "greatly diminish" once accepted into medical school. :D :D

Right! We won't be volunteerting anymore because we will be DOING. I think most of us volunteer at clinics and the like because we are fascinated by medicine and passionate about it, but without that med degree, all we can do is stand around volunteering and shadowing. I can't wait until the day when I can stop "volunteering" and finally get to "doctoring!" :D

Volunteer work? What's that? Oh wait, crawling around in burning buildings counts..... :smuggrin:

Seriously I think the main thing that seperates me from 90%+ of you all is the fact that I've not been forced to just stand around and watch. I've actually done a lot of the procedures and seen a lot of the cases I will see in medical school before so it shouldn't be nearly the culture shock. That and the fact that I'll be in my early 30's when I go in is another reason. Oh and the whole embalming as a prior job thing.....definitely a rarity :laugh:

Play college football. DIII, so its not big time, but it's still a lot of work.