What do you guys do for fun? (non-medically related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green_Goose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some more hobbies

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking to poach EC's for you app?

I developed several hobbies throughout college like fishing, soccer, tennis, photography, violinist...etc. Oh and video games, don't forget video games.

Reactions: 2 users
Osckey, you have a fair point. It's just that I'm bored so much of the time and I have nothing to do :/

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no fun. There is only the premed game. You will play along. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Reactions: 21 users
Osckey, you have a fair point. It's just that I'm bored so much of the time and I have nothing to do :/

Get out of your dorm/apt./house and go to the clubs on campus. Sign up for a bunch. Go to the general meetings. Drop the ones you no longer like after the first meeting and keep the others you like. Do you live/study in a place that has access to scenic outdoor trails? Then go walk the trails solo. Go find what makes you happy, then keep it. Try something spontaneous like signing up for a cooking class or making a point of going to a local concert/art gallery. Become cultured.

There is no fun. There is only the premed game. You will play along. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Premed is love. Premed is life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hiking does seem pretty fun. I think there are parks near my campus

Reactions: 1 users
I love building crap out of wood. Sort of like art, but manlier.

Also learning to cook good food or bartend can be fun and not crazy expensive if you do it right.

Also depending on your schools Greek scene frats/sororities can be a great time. Basically you just get an instant group of people who are down to do random stuff together (trivia night at the bar, pontooning down a river, video game tournaments, anything involving drinking)

Bowling, watching sports (NHL > NFL ~ NBA > MLB, but follow all sports in depth), sports trivia, fantasy basketball, watching movies, reading, eating, sleeping

Any kind of remote-controlled aviation. Planes, helicopters, drones, etc. It's awesome, even if it makes me sound like a square. Interestingly enough, I wrote about that in the secondaries for two out of four schools that I interviewed with.

When you hear AAMA, most people think "American Academy of Medical Assistants." I think, "American Academy of Model Aeronautics," of which I am a card-carrying member.

Members don't see this ad :)
I built a PC.

I was also supposed to start training for a century ride this week (100+ miles on a bike), and then I decided to slam my knee so hard into my bed frame I can barely walk. So that's how my week is going so far.

I think reading would be good for you, not just for the fun of reading in itself but also for the possibility of coming across a character who does something that interests you.

Any kind of remote-controlled aviation. Planes, helicopters, drones, etc. It's awesome, even if it makes me sound like a square. Interestingly enough, I wrote about that in the secondaries for two out of four schools that I interviewed with.

When you hear AAMA, most people think "American Academy of Medical Assistants." I think, "American Academy of Model Aeronautics," of which I am a card-carrying member.
I didn't associate AAMA with anything before, but now I will. That's honestly a really cool hobby. I love it when people are passionate about things I don't even think about.

I built a PC.

I was also supposed to start training for a century ride this week (100+ miles on a bike), and then I decided to slam my knee so hard into my bed frame I can barely walk. So that's how my week is going so far.

Ouch :(

Martial arts is my major hobby. I've moved through about 5 different major styles in the last decade or so. EXCELLENT stress relief and a great way to build some really useful life skills (resiliency, spontaneity, team-building, communication, etc). Also good suturing/splinting practice when things get a little out of hand...

I think reading would be good for you, not just for the fun of reading in itself but also for the possibility of coming across a character who does something that interests you.

I didn't associate AAMA with anything before, but now I will. That's honestly a really cool hobby. I love it when people are passionate about things I don't even think about.

You're right, reading is great. Unfortunately that's something I usually do in the summer, since I don't get much time during the school year. Do you have any good books to recommend?

You're right, reading is great. Unfortunately that's something I usually do in the summer, since I don't get much time during the school year. Do you have any good books to recommend?

Currently sitting on my desk:

When Breath Becomes Air
Complications (Atul Gawande)
Quantum and the Lotus
Intensity (Dean Koontz)

I cook, play games (video games, board games, Magic the gathering), play music, rock climb.

Sadly I don't get enough time for gaming as I'd like but these are the sacrifices we make

Awesome! I've always been drawn to martial arts as well, I tried getting into it this year but couldn't cuz of my schedule. Hoping to start next year during my gap year! What disciplines did you do?

A little bit of everything, but mostly sparring-heavy styles: Muay Thai, Kung Fu, a couple of karate disciplines, some jiu jitsu, some MMA, and I've been settled in kajukenbo for the last several years. The only thing I couldn't stand was taekwondo, although it may have been the specific school more than the style that was the problem - any place that makes you earn a black belt before you're allowed to contact spar is a little confused as far as I'm concerned...

My favorite thing to do is shoot pool and drink a few beers with my best friend on Saturdays. I watch UFC and train jiu jitsu when my f'n body isn't injured too.

I usually fill my free-time with studying ahead for next semester's classes. It keeps me occupied from the occasional mental breakdowns and severe social anxiety.

Hit the bar and drink with friends. Play call of duty and drink with friends....pretty much drink with friends haha

Edit: Oh, and weightlift

Last edited:
Bouldering, soccer, video games,

At the moment I'm (re-)learning all countries, capitals, and flags. I really enjoy it.
Also, dumb TV shows.
Also, currently redoing a bathroom. Last week was tile and backsplash, this week is plumbing. Yay.

Fifa. Except I haven't played it in a while. I'm having fun playing the pre-med game. :)

workout classes, bake, read, follow politics/current affairs

Rock climbing
Running
Sex
Reading

Gotten more busy over the last 6 months or so, so been limiting myself a little bit more to just those 4 really...
Have you climbed at Red Rock in Las Vegas? I may or may not live close by.

besides brazzers or pronhub? i like to eat

Tournament-style Scrabble. I'm a member of my local Scrabble club, although being in lab does not allow me to go often. I've only been in one tournament, but that was enough to make me #5 in Alabama for a while. Rating has changed since, however.

I actually talked about the difference between tournament-style Scrabble and "kitchen table Scrabble" at one of my medical school interviews!

I like to hang upside blindfolded and see how many times I can clean my pistol before my nose starts to bleed.

Reactions: 4 users
Weightlifting, playing the guitar, eating, and whiskey

Go to as much broadway shows for as cheap as possible

For sure, bro. I feel you. I'm cycling off so the adcoms don't suspect the swole is too much. They don't drug test do they?
That's understandable. Don't want to seem like an orthopod just yet, right?