What do you guys think of my plan to join the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have two Class C misdemeanors and a mental illness. I plan on getting the two expunged and I have been told that they are not even worth mentioning. However I am a student at a respectable university in a tough major. I plan on graduating in the next two years then joining the peace corps for two years then after doing a post bacc. I'm not sure if I will look for military scholarships before or after I finish my medical education but I plan on doing it without any mental health or criminal violations! And I will make the best grades possible because I want to be a Navy physician who commits himself to our troops and their families and to the undeserved of the world!

Is such a plan possible for me?

Members don't see this ad.

This is not the place to ask. While its commendable, the fact that you have two misdemeanors and a mental illness, you need to be consulting a recruiter on whether or not these are waiverable, which will be difficult at this stage since you haven't even graduated yet from undergrad apparently, nor are you graduating at the end of this upcoming year (since you state 2 years...).

That said, is there any particular reason(s) you need a post bacc, and any reason(s) you want to do both the peace corps followed by military service as opposed to one or the other? There's nothing wrong with that in my eyes, but I'm just curious. The Peace Corps offers various loan repayment plans just like the military does. Aside from the military and peace corps, there is also Public Health Service Corps (PHS).

Good luck and I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

This is not the place to ask. While its commendable, the fact that you have two misdemeanors and a mental illness, you need to be consulting a recruiter on whether or not these are waiverable, which will be difficult at this stage since you haven't even graduated yet from undergrad apparently, nor are you graduating at the end of this upcoming year (since you state 2 years...).

That said, is there any particular reason(s) you need a post bacc, and any reason(s) you want to do both the peace corps followed by military service as opposed to one or the other? There's nothing wrong with that in my eyes, but I'm just curious. The Peace Corps offers various loan repayment plans just like the military does. Aside from the military and peace corps, there is also Public Health Service Corps (PHS).

Good luck and I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

I have a bad record of many medical withdrawals and the two misdemeanors which will be expunged. I need to show at least 10-15 years of a clean record of excellence for me to have a chance to serve our country. I will get in contact with a military recruiter but I need some guidance. Can you help me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bad record of many medical withdrawals and the two misdemeanors which will be expunged. I need to show at least 10-15 years of a clean record of excellence for me to have a chance to serve our country. I will get in contact with a military recruiter but I need some guidance. Can you help me?

You still have 2 misdemeanors UNTIL they are expunged, at which point these should be a non-issue, but not until then. Are the medical withdrawals related to mental illness, or unrelated? Regardless, medical withdrawals will be on record and would likely need waivers. The more waivers needed, the more difficult it would be to get in. There are also age limitations. Where are you getting this 10-15 year range from?

There's not much I can really help with. Speak with an officer recruiter if not not a healthcare recruiter and just ask about general requirements. Don't mention the misdemeanors if they're supposedly being expunged, but you need to inquire about the mental illness. Some are not waiverable, some may be.

Again, you need to contact a recruiter. Even if you told me every detail, I'm not authorized or capable of giving you any solid advice that will hold in a case like this.

You still have 2 misdemeanors UNTIL they are expunged, at which point these should be a non-issue, but not until then. Are the medical withdrawals related to mental illness, or unrelated? Regardless, medical withdrawals will be on record and would likely need waivers. The more waivers needed, the more difficult it would be to get in. There are also age limitations. Where are you getting this 10-15 year range from?

There's not much I can really help with. Speak with an officer recruiter if not not a healthcare recruiter and just ask about general requirements. Don't mention the misdemeanors if they're supposedly being expunged, but you need to inquire about the mental illness. Some are not waiverable, some may be.

Again, you need to contact a recruiter. Even if you told me every detail, I'm not authorized or capable of giving you any solid advice that will hold in a case like this.

I just mean it might be more likely for me to receive a medical waiver after 10-15 years of being clean and showing a commitment to the community. They medical withdrawals are related to mental health.

Just get into med school first....none of this matters without an acceptance letter.

Clear one hurdle at a time

Reactions: 1 user
I am not clear what "medical withdrawal" means. Anyways, the HPSP scholarship is getting pretty competitive. I joined pre-911 which was also fairly competitive but less so than now because of the increase in sign on bonus and living expense payments. Once your record is expunged and you get into medical school you can always try. However, if there's record of substance abuse or chronic mental health issue, I do not suspect that you'll be granted a waiver.