What do you guys use to get the best deals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to get the best deals online?

I frequently put things I want on an Amazon wish list so I can easily see if the prices decrease and also have had really good luck with IGN deals. If your a PC gamer a site called green-man-gaming has big discounts and I've bought some great electronics after seeing them on ign deals.

I use consumer reports mostly and buy their highest rated items in some categories if I need it.

I've heard of slickdeals. Anyone have any experience with that? A good thread about this stuff all in one place would be really useful for poor students and frugal pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
slickdeals.net
fatwallet.com

You can search those websites, but it's better to setup e-mail alerts on stuff that you want to buy because sometimes the deals sell out quickly.

camelcamelcamel.com will let you look up Amazon price history, because Amazon adjusts prices a lot so you should check the price range and wait for them to reduce it. You can setup price alerts as well.

Fatwallet and slickdeals for sure, but sometimes it's hard to easily find deals at first glance.

For a more curated deal site, I use Spoofee and BensBargains.net (been following that site for ~10 years i think).

Members don't see this ad :)
The best deals last in less than a couple hours. Some will last less than 15 mins and Slickdeal will take them out (or mark expired). They will be out of stock online so fast. Happens to me every single time. Basically if you want the best deal, you have to refresh the page and check it multiple times a day just to catch them... Good/average deal will last a couple days to a month.

I don't live near a best buy. It works online too?

That process - setup an automatic search, get an email when it's available, buy it right away works for many things

I have:
-an rss feed setup on craigslist for lightly used tires that fot my truck...
-an ebay auto search for motorcycle parts
-once I know the dates of friends' weddings I setup a fare alert with kayak.com for flights

Groceries/toiletry - krazy coupon lady...deal websites (ie. groupon, living social) for things like fitness classes, activities in Vegas, etc.

I also use my employer's discounts website for travel/hotels

Otherwise I do an exhaustive web search before I buy anything - most online retailers have a box that says "apply promo code?" Google the code first

All purchases should be on a rewards credit card

Last edited:
Golfnow.com has some pretty darn good deals! 18 holes with a cart for $10 at some decent places. Love working intern evening shifts during the summer. Can play these great courses for so cheap. The best part is I really get my moneys worth with my handicap of like 35.

If there is something I want, I would check Slickdeals daily until a good price comes up. I used to shop on woot.com but I am not sure how the prices are now.

I'm excited for Amazon Prime Day!

upload_2015-7-7_23-0-14.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember buying a laptop on black Friday once and though it was a great deal I still regretted not buying the one that I actually wanted. Now I decide exactly what I'm buying before I look for the best deal as opposed to buying something because it is a good deal/on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Amazon prime day had a really good deal for the Samsung 4K smart for 999, but I just bought a 50 inch tv a few months back and buying the new amazon one while probably taking a huge hit trying to sell back my kind of newish one just didn't make sense. But besides that I wasn't very impressed by anything. The gaming selection was atrocious and it just seemed like a bunch of random ass ****. I would have just preferred a 15% off voucher on any 1 item to use at my leisure...

I would have just preferred a 15% off voucher on any 1 item to use at my leisure...
The only thing I got was the $10 off code when you buy 3 x $15 Amazon gift cards, so that is sort of what you wanted.

Actually they've been giving out these $10 off codes a lot over the past few months for things like buying $50+ gift cards (can send to yourself), signing up for auto-reload of gift card balance, or shopping with Chase Freedom points. Just keep your eyes peeled for these offer ads on the Amazon website. Sometimes they only appear on a mobile browser.

I got a 20$ dollar off coupon from HSN if you buy at least $40. Is there any good deals from them. I looked at their website and it seemed like mostly junk for women...

how about cheap flights?

whenever I have trip dates, I setup the fare alert, watch the prices (they fluctuate daily) and if I can get a cross country flight < $400 (without leaving at unruly hours), I usually buy it...using my company's discount website (so I collect points) on a 3-2-1 credit card (so I get the 1% cash back)

or is priceline better?

how about cheap flights?

whenever I have trip dates, I setup the fare alert, watch the prices (they fluctuate daily) and if I can get a cross country flight < $400 (without leaving at unruly hours), I usually buy it...using my company's discount website (so I collect points) on a 3-2-1 credit card (so I get the 1% cash back)

or is priceline better?
I buy through kayak and always use my Barclay elite mastercard. 2.2% back on all purchases and no limit. $89 annual fee. We use credit card for all purchases. We got over 2k back last year from Barclay card.

Speaking of best deals. Which 2016 presidential nominee will let us refinance or student loans and get a better deal that will save us thousands! Before Bernie Sanders or Hillary said anything about refinancing student loans I always told people I will vote for whoever will let me refinance my student loans. Are we all going to have to vote for Hillary for 2016??? I need these loans paid down quicker and with less interest!!!

Speaking of best deals. Which 2016 presidential nominee will let us refinance or student loans and get a better deal that will save us thousands! Before Bernie Sanders or Hillary said anything about refinancing student loans I always told people I will vote for whoever will let me refinance my student loans. Are we all going to have to vote for Hillary for 2016??? I need these loans paid down quicker and with less interest!!!

Lol don't forget pell grants for grad students. If some people in federal prison are getting pell grants to take online college why not support people who will actually make a difference in the world

It's too late for pell grants for me so I'm all about refinancing!!!!

Last edited:
When do the black Friday ads come out? What sites do you guys use to view them early?

One massively great deal this year is the awesome partnership of apple pay and discover card. If you use apple pay with a discover card, you get 10% cash back (in additional to the normal cash back you would have gotten for your purchase. If you are a new discover card holder, all of your cash back will be doubled at the end of the year (including the 10% from apple pay) which means you get 20% cash back from any store that accepts apple pay. Also, discover is offering 5% back on department and clothing stores between now and the end of the year, so if you use your apple pay at a store like macys, you will get whopping 30% back. This deal, along with the price protection discover offers that allows you to buy something now, and if you find it anywhere cheaper within 90 days, they will refund you the difference up to $500, is the must have for holiday season shopping.

Sadly the only decent stores that accept apple pay atm are macys and best buy (some other clothing stores also) but between these two you can knock off a large chunk of the list.