What do you love about your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashmarj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas for new programs/events/activities to implement at the med school I attend. I figured a way to really get some great input would be to channel all the procrastinating energy of SDN. :)

So, tell me the things you like/love about your school, or better yet, something you wish it had.

ashmarj

Members don't see this ad.

i like the pingpong table in the rec room. i hate the fact that we have to share a single study area with only 10 group rooms and about 50 quiet study cubicles between the 160 first year students and 140 second year students.

so, pingpong table = good, nowhere to study = bad.

ashmarj,

Small steps, small steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ashmarj,

Small steps, small steps.

lol, maybe I should have put in there that I am applying for a position for which I need to come up with idea(s) and tentative plan(s) for implementation...threads seem to do better if there is less to read in the opening post.

Of course, you're welcome to just keep thinking of me as just another overzealous, overachieving med student. :) I'm just wanting to actually do something worthwhile...but feasible.

ashmarj

The four-level, $52.7 million dollar state of the art building dedicated to the College of Medicine that opened one month before I started this year at a state school where I pay in-state tuition. :love:

Sorry I don't have any suggestions :D

Honestly study space isn't that big a deal. Coffee shops, home, the library at the accompanying university are all good places to study and get out of the med school vibe.

Block.

Scheduling.

Heck yeah.

Oh... and a piano... kinda nice to sit down and play a little bit periodically.

Honestly study space isn't that big a deal. Coffee shops, home, the library at the accompanying university are all good places to study and get out of the med school vibe.

Study space with a smartboard and projector is key IMHO. Can't ever have too much study space.

we're in test week right now and I gotta say I really like having one massive week of exams rather than tests dispersed throughout the quarter. It means that after a test block you can SLAAAAAACK like mad for a week or two before getting back into things, then by the time tests come all you do is study because you know that once the week is over you can slack again.

it's awesome that there's a med school with easy access to a piano... there are a couple randomly situated around campus here but no practice rooms!!! :thumbdown:

true pass fail!

booyah

i like looking out my dorm, seeing beautiful blue skies, and the crystal clear blue ocean 200 feet away....

then on weekends, i get to swim in said ocean, while swimming out about 100 feet from the shore, water's only about 16ft deep, and you can see till the bottom... the temperature very comfortable (warm), and there are no waves, just small lil' swells...

ah, the life of a caribbean med student

I like my fellow students best (It's sappy but true).

I :love: optional attendance w/ mp3s and ppts posted w/in a day.

I also am fond of our computer lab, which includes a big whiteboard and multiple copies of all the textbooks and other useful stuff like board review books.

We have like 14 different places to study, of varying types, so you can pick your poison.

I have 2 lockers for all my junk.

We have CARTS of food right outside! With lunch for less than $5. Carts rock. Truly.

Things that could be improved: Um, free valet parking : ) Someone to carry books around for us? Cadavers that don't smell? True Pass/Fail would be good too. I am occasionally annoyed by faculty who do not comprehend modern technology. Building maintenance is sometimes um...less than ideal.

I think the worst (fixable) thing about all med schools is the silliness of trying to force us to work together in small groups. I like working with other students. But the school organizing little tasks for us to do together just doesn't function.

I like the strong clinical training and hands on experience we get and the fact that even as third years we do a lot of real work taking care of patients.

Recorded lectures with 2x feature so those boring slow talkers who love the sound of their own voice get compressed from one hour to 30 mins...thank you for that

bad: not connected with large university anymore so no good gym, no good libraries, no good big college feel just medical garbage 24/7

1. 2 hours of lecture per day during years 1 and 2
2. AVIs
3. 24/7 tech support for laptops
4. More IVDAs than you can shake a stick at...great for fascinating cases on IM, EM, ID, psych, surgery, etc...

I wish my school would put audio/video of lecture online. They admitted they could do it cheaply and securely. Yet they all but ignore our inquires into getting it implemented.

We've got a fresh tissue lab that we use after we finish a section in gross. We get to look at cadavers in autopsy like conditions shortly post-mortum. Even better, it is all run by Dr. Acland, of Acland's Video Anatomy! I LOVE that guy! It makes visulizing things a lot easier when you can see it in real tissue conditions.

Lecture audio posted at noon each day (a guy gets work study for this, and he's definitely earning his paycheck). As much as I want to complain about my school, they're the only one that offered me an interview, so I give them a little leeway.

Non-mandatory lectures ftw.

I attend lecture probably about 75% of the time, but when I don't want to go, I don't HAVE to if it ain't a mandatory one. It brings out that whole personal accountability thing yadda yadda yadda, which I like a lot.

i like the pingpong table in the rec room. i hate the fact that we have to share a single study area with only 10 group rooms and about 50 quiet study cubicles between the 160 first year students and 140 second year students.

so, pingpong table = good, nowhere to study = bad.

Ping pong makes going to school manageable (on lab days, the rest of our classes can be streamed). It is annoying that we have to share the lounge with the genetic councilor students, since they seem to stake it out as a study room and get pissed when we come in to play a few heated games. O well, I guess if I cared I would refrain, but I clearly dont care.... lol