What do you talk about during your 5 or 10 minutes with the PD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnle119

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the few interviews that I've been through, it seemed the main part of the interviewing is done by the house staff/faculty. At the end, we're given a 5- to 10-minute period with the PD and/or Chairman, which is more of an opportunity for us to ask them questions and not so much BEING interviewed by them.

Anyone else having similar experiences? I've found that most, if not all, of the questions I have about the program were usually answered by the residents or the interviewing faculty, leaving me with not much to ask the PD/Chairman.

Just wanted to know what most people spend this time period discussing with the PD? Does anyone discuss how much they like the program and how they plan to rank them? Or is that taboo?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, it seems to be a pretty standard thing from the 6 i've been on thus far. It has really varied... My home program the Chairman basically said: we've already had this conversation, you have anything else for me?... At one institution which was a double team by the PD and Chairman, they flat out asked me if I was interesting in the program, where I was on the trail, and, after I said I was interested (the place is currently my #1 or #2), they said if my interest continues after I finish up the interviews, have one of the two of my letter writers they were friends with to give them a call to let them know I still am interested... another place one of the 2 total interviews I had for the day was with the PD and essentially he had nothing to say to me... I didn't even meet the chairman that day... its all a crap shoot and basically they want to see you with their own eyes before comitting to you, but I doubt too much can be gained from the experience.

Thanks! That was really insightful.

I usually asked 2 questions:

Name something recent that was changed within the program based on resident feedback.

Name something recent that was asked for by residents but not done and why.