What do you think about my situation? Low MCATs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genopeno2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the condensed version of my life. I graduated 6 years ago, but didn't know what to do with my life and my gpa shows that. I had a 3.35 and joined the Army as an officer. I went to Iraq as a Medical Platoon Leader, and realized what I wanted to do with my life. I had to take Ochem, genetics, biochem to finish pre-reqs, and got 4.0 this year. I took the MCAT 12 PS, 6 VR, N, 10 BS. LORs are the normal "He's the best ever" kind of stuff.

So I'm really worried because I was hoping that my MCAT scores would be good enough to trump my lack of everything else. Any thoughts? I'm going to finish all 20 of my secondaries, and I'm thinking of going D.O., but I have no idea about that application process or the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the condensed version of my life. I graduated 6 years ago, but didn't know what to do with my life and my gpa shows that. I had a 3.35 and joined the Army as an officer. I went to Iraq as a Medical Platoon Leader, and realized what I wanted to do with my life. I had to take Ochem, genetics, biochem to finish pre-reqs, and got 4.0 this year. I took the MCAT 12 PS, 6 VR, N, 10 BS. LORs are the normal "He's the best ever" kind of stuff.

So I'm really worried because I was hoping that my MCAT scores would be good enough to trump my lack of everything else. Any thoughts? I'm going to finish all 20 of my secondaries, and I'm thinking of going D.O., but I have no idea about that application process or the schools.

I would go ahead and apply broadly to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. Make sure that you do not apply to schools that screen MCAT scores. Your PS and BS are fine and since you are likely a native English speaker with good recent coursework, I think that your low VR might be written off as a "fluke". Couple that with a strong PS you should be OK but set yourself for some questions about why your Verbal score was so low. It may not even come up though.

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what happened on VR, so there's nothing I can really say to excuse my score if the question comes up. I just messed up.

Anyway, anyone have any advice on the osteopathic schools to apply to? Thanks again for the help.:oops: