What do you think about Pacific University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schroder79

1.5 years to go!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been a student here for 2 years now and so I was looking back thinking about what it was like as an undergrad. One of the most valuable inputs I got into my decision about which school go to was by asking random students what they thought of their school. I was surprised how honest some were! It's always real nice how each school has hosts to show you around the school but their information was always biased.

Most everyone has probably already made up their mind but you should really be thinking about this one. Remember, this school you pick will be teaching you the techniques and styles you will be using for the rest of your life. Unfortunately even though technology continues to grow, often optometrists don't seem to want to change their style, so they need to start out right.

One last thing, remember that it is the individuals at the school that make it what it is. Logos and names are nice but a professor that can teach about thick prisms well or a good anatomy instructor is worth much more than saving some money in tuition. Good luck in your choices. Anyone else have anything to add? :)

Members don't see this ad.

prettygreeneyes said:
So... you're a student at Pacific? What do YOU think of Pacific University? I'll be there this fall... I'll let you know!
Hey, welcome, I guess I will see you next week then!

I think this college is great. Oh there are some things I would change but I'm not part of the faculty so I don't see things from their position. I'm surprised by how much help it is to get to know upper classmen and find out what works in classes and studies.
The teachers are all very different. Some test from verbatim notes while others test from comments they make during lecture. Dr. Citek is well known for traveling the US in sobriety cases while Dr. Remington writes one of the best study aids I know for anatomy on the boards.
This school isn't as strong as some in the clinical aspect of optometry, but it is definately competitive in the most academic parts of optometry. The location is beautiful being isolated in a small town with forests while there are clinics in Portland. The people here are very friendly. Dr. Eakland is the academic clinic director and he is very social and works very well with students. Dr. Ueshiro is very knowledgable and skillful in clinic practice and care. It is a good idea to stay on her good side because she can really help in understanding optometric care.
Mostly, the education is great and the people are fun; but don't fall behind. Not everyone passes optometry school and this school is no exception. Unfortunately I have gone from trying to get straight A's to more of trying to get at least a B, because there is so much to learn. Taking 21 credits simultaneously is difficult. You will do fine though I'm sure. Keep in mind the requirements to practice in Nevada and remember though grades are good reminders of how well you understand the material, its passing, most of all the NBEO your second year that matters. Good luck and see you next week!