What do you think is an appropriate # of schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaliahirsch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to finalize a list of DPT programs apply to and right now I have only about 5 schools that meet my criteria. What do you think is an good number of schools to apply to that isn't excessive, but also isn't minimal enough to decrease my chances of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 14... way too many. I heard back from a few right away, got accepted into one, then put my $1000 deposit down, heard back from another one a week later... regretting putting that deposit down....Got interviews at all had them, waitlisted at 3.

All in all though 2/14 accepted. 3/14 waitlisted. 9/14 rejected. Out of those 9 though, I honestly did not see myself going there.

To tell you the truth though, I regret spending that much money. I wish I would have JUST stuck with the in state schools.

i am trying to finalize a list of dpt programs apply to and right now i have only about 5 schools that meet my criteria. What do you think is an good number of schools to apply to that isn't excessive, but also isn't minimal enough to decrease my chances of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the average person applies to 9.
Unless you have 4.0, I would do at least that. I don't regret applying to 9 schools. My family doesn't have a lot of money and yet I do not regret spending as much as I did, because in the end I did get an acceptance. Spend an extra $200 sending info to schools, or wait an extra year and miss a whole year PT salary? To me, the choice is obvious.

I had a friend who had around a 3.6 GPA and had plenty of volunteer hours, but got rejected from all 7 (I think that was the right number, if I remember correctly) schools. It's never a guarantee.

Is that the number of PT programs in the country?

I would apply to as many as meet your criteria and no more. Why apply to schools that you don't see yourself going to? I'm not going to enumerate all the criteria here, but if there are only two, then there are only two. But if they're are 20, then apply to 20. Don't be cheap when it comes to the application process. I applied to eleven, and got accepted to two with good stats. It is competitive!

Kevin

Is that the number of PT programs in the country?

I would apply to as many as meet your criteria and no more. Why apply to schools that you don't see yourself going to? I'm not going to enumerate all the criteria here, but if there are only two, then there are only two. But if they're are 20, then apply to 20. Don't be cheap when it comes to the application process. I applied to eleven, and got accepted to two with good stats. It is competitive!

Kevin

number of accredited programs, yes. and I was just being facetious

Hey there amaliahirsch,

Due to my lack of knowledge in statistic analysis and your specific needs my input would be inaccurate and invalid. I feel you have asked a loaded question which can only be answered with an opinion. I included two threads that address your question just keep in mind, there are no right or wrong answers. Collect the info you think is necassary to make the BEST choice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847696
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=780162

If I recall you stated you were applying to colleges in Florida. I applied last cylce to UCF, FIU and UM. I was accepted to UCF and FIU. I was waitlisted at Miami which was my last choice due to tuition costs and location. My stats are similar to yours other than my GRE score, an 1140.

I applied to all 5 schools in my state. Got 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist that turned into an acceptance, 1 interview offer (turned it down to attend the first school), and 2 rejections. Granted this was 3 years ago and I know things are a little more competitive now. It never hurts to have a few 'backups', but you should make sure you'd be happy there too.

I will be applying to 10 I'm still trying to narrow it down. I have my top 3 choices set now I'm just trying to find backups. I want to stay as close to home as possible since my fiance is here so I plan on applying to most of the Ohio schools and PA schools. It all depends on how comfortable you feel with your stats. My GRE is awful I'm supposed to retake it in August but I haven't had time to study for it yet because of summer classes. So I will probably find a school that really doesn't consider the GRE as well.

amaliahirsch, i'm wondering what exactly your criteria is that only 5/211 schools are able to match what you're looking for. Would you be willing to share?

I applied to 9, was picky, wanted to stay in the warm states and close to home. accepted 1/9-no interview required, interviewed 2/9, waitlisted 1/9 (#4). Remember......you will have fees for GRE for each school as well minus the 4 initial freebees. regarding the GRE......PTCAS started verifying the scores last cycle w/ a special code, I contacted my schools and most accepted the PTCAS verification and saved me $$ in the long run. However I did follow the GRE procedure for the top 4 schools I wanted the most-the freebees. Worked out for me.

Where did you get in that required no interview?

The 3 Wisconsin schools: UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-La Crosse do not have an interview, they have 3-4 questions that you need to write a one-three page response on.

Examples: Who inspires you, why would this make you a better PT? How do you deal with stress? What if you caught a fellow student cheating? etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
The 5 schools I'm applying to are Nova, FIU, FGCU, UM, and USA. The reason I feel I can only apply to those schools is because I don't feel that with my stats/experience I have a great chance in getting in for fall 2013 so I figured I should just apply in state. I would also prefer to stay in south florida above all else because I just moved back down here and cost of living and everything else meets my needs. I just don't know if I should spend a lot of money applying to schools if a) I don't have a realistic shot and b) i'm not thrilled about moving again.

My stats:
University: Boston University
Major: Nutritional Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.62
GRE: V: 580 Q: 710 Total: 1290

Extra curric: Soccer coach, lab instructor, baker, lifeguard, travel, perform nutritional analysis in inpatient setting, + more

Observation hours: 100+ in outpatient orthopedic setting, 10 in outpatient pediatric

Last edited:
Hey amalia... totally off topic, but great GRE score! How'd you study?

My college adviser recommended 7-9. I think before you apply to more than that you have to consider your statistics against the statistics of students accepted to those schools, your willingness to relocate, cost of the program, and whether you can see yourself at all the programs you apply to.

Another thing about cost is that it is not just the PTCAS bill that you have to worry about. You also have to send official GRE scores. For interviews, you might also have a hotel and other travel expenses as well. There is also the problem that schools get back to you at different times, so it is likely you may put a deposit down at one school and lose it because you decide to attend another one.

The reason I feel I can only apply to those schools is because I don't feel that with my stats/experience I have a great chance in getting in for fall 2013 so I figured I should just apply in state.

My stats:
University: Boston University
Major: Nutritional Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.62
GRE: V: 580 Q: 710 Total: 1290

Extra curric: Soccer coach, lab instructor, baker, lifeguard, travel, perform nutritional analysis in inpatient setting, + more

Observation hours: 100+ in outpatient orthopedic setting, 10 in outpatient pediatric

with an overall GPA of 3.62 and GRE of 1290 I think you do have a good chance of getting in. Most places I know of aren't looking for much more than that? unless your prereq gpa is really low.. but i doubt it if your overall is that high.

i have a lower gpa and gre score than you. I'm only applying to four schools and I'm fairly confident I'll get into one of them..

Kaplan GRE course! but it was the old GRE, not the newer one. I highly recommend the course.

If you have high stats (and you do, well above average), you don't need to apply to as many. There are some people in my class (I'm a first year) who only applied to one school! I wouldn't go that far (no matter your stats), but you don't want to regret spending boatloads of money over-applying.

I applied to 6 schools last summer and was accepted into 4 with a 3.95gpa, 1340gre. I wouldn't apply to much more than that if I were you.

I applied to three. My thinking here was to make the schools really think I was a catch and worth having as a student. This strategy worked for me but I wouldn't recommend it.....

Seriously though, apply to as many schools you can see yourself being a successful student at within reason. Co-workers of mine applied to between 5-9 schools. If your stats are competitive with the class's before your application, you stand a good chance.

Just got back on here after a while off, I found this site when I was applying, doesn't look like it's been updated since last year but still there's tons of good info on here if you have time to browse around.

www.ptinfo.weebly.com

If you have high stats (and you do, well above average), you don't need to apply to as many. There are some people in my class (I'm a first year) who only applied to one school! I wouldn't go that far (no matter your stats), but you don't want to regret spending boatloads of money over-applying.

I applied to 6 schools last summer and was accepted into 4 with a 3.95gpa, 1340gre. I wouldn't apply to much more than that if I were you.

if you don't mind, can you tell me what schools you weren't accepted into? your gpa & gre scores look similar to mine and I thought they were pretty competitive, but now you have me second guessing myself!

if you don't mind, can you tell me what schools you weren't accepted into? your gpa & gre scores look similar to mine and I thought they were pretty competitive, but now you have me second guessing myself!

Don't worry, it had more to do with not fitting prereqs closely enough for their particular requirements.

I applied to three. My thinking here was to make the schools really think I was a catch and worth having as a student. This strategy worked for me but I wouldn't recommend it.....

Seriously though, apply to as many schools you can see yourself being a successful student at within reason. Co-workers of mine applied to between 5-9 schools. If your stats are competitive with the class's before your application, you stand a good chance.

You say this as if schools consider how many other schools you apply to? I wasn't aware of this.. I didn't think schools would be able to see the other schools that you applied to. If this is the case, I would surely apply to more schools if that means increasing my chances of a getting accepted just to one! Can someone clarify. Thanks

You say this as if schools consider how many other schools you apply to? I wasn't aware of this.. I didn't think schools would be able to see the other schools that you applied to. If this is the case, I would surely apply to more schools if that means increasing my chances of a getting accepted just to one! Can someone clarify. Thanks

If you look at the PTCAS stats, you'll see that people who applied to 4-8 schools or so were more likely to get at least one acceptance than those applying to 1-3. I don't think schools make the number of schools you applied to part of their admissions criteria. That wouldn't make much sense.

Schools get who applied to what schools and how many schools each applicant applied to later in the application cycle. We get it in July or August. The reason that those applicants who apply to less schools look more likely to get in is they are more competitive probably so do not have to apply to many.

In our 4 years of using PTCAS I can tell you we did not get where the applicants applies to until later. The applicants would often state in in an interview but not gotten from PTCAS until the summer.