What do you wear to work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an anesthesiologists it's not like we need to wear a suit or even dress semi-casual since we change into scrubs anyway. Just curious what people wear into work.

I tend to go with nice jeans or khakis and shirt/sweater. I will rarely wear shorts and golf shirt if I will be hitting the range or something later that day.

Members don't see this ad.

Button down dress shirt and dress slacks to OR days.

Same or same + tie to ICU days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on my plans afterwards. Jeans and t-shirt on regular days, shorts if I'm doing some sort of exercise and khakis with a button-down shirt if I'm going to dinner.

dress pants, dress shirt, tie, white coat. I'm a physician and dress as such to and from work. Wearing scrubs to and from the hospital is an image I do not wish to portray.

I show up naked. Keep myself busy during boring cases by doing long division math problems.

Long. Division.

Reactions: 6 users
Scrubs 100% of the time. At the ass crack of dawn, NO ONE sees me entering the hospital so the whole I'm-gonna-wear-a-suit-because-I'm-a-Doctor-and-want-to-convey-a-professional-image is a complete and utter waste of time and effort.

Reactions: 20 users
agree with consigliere. i have almost zero human interaction during the time i park my car and go into the locker room. i prefer the extra 10 mins of sleep.

Reactions: 1 users
Scrubs 100% of the time. At the ass crack of dawn, NO ONE sees me entering the hospital so the whole I'm-gonna-wear-a-suit-because-I'm-a-Doctor-and-want-to-convey-a-professional-image is a complete and utter waste of time and effort.

We have cameras taking pictures of docs who come and go in o.r. scrubs. You get a warning letter and threats of disiplinary action. Yay modern medicine!

We have cameras taking pictures of docs who come and go in o.r. scrubs. You get a warning letter and threats of disiplinary action. Yay modern medicine!
Do you work in Germany????......in 1942?

Members don't see this ad :)

So we had a similar rule at the hospital where I did residency. First offense was a warning, second was 50 bucks and third 100. Repeat offenders would get a letter to their department head. The problem was the hospital scrub service was so bad we had to launder our own scrubs so why not wear them in/out.

They also instituted a number of other measures the did nothing for actual patient care and simply caused staff to feel inferior. For instance there was an "employee entrance" on the side of the hospital and you were required to enter there. We were not allowed to use the 3-4 large patient entrances. We also were not allowed to sit in common areas and several other BS rules. It pissed the staff off to no end. Anyone caught violating these "rules" faced fines.

Nobody sees you leave the hospital either? For people that want to differentiate themselves from nurses, dressing and acting in a professional manner may not seem important to you but it can be seen as important to those watching you.

In medical school I was instructed to dress like the doctor my grandmother envisioned me as. I think it was good advice.

Mainly scrubs. Today I wore casual clothes cuz I have an early day and had plans after work.
Sometimes I'll dress it up a bit, but that is mainly for meetings.
I've also biked in to work, so not so flashy coming in to the locker rooms.

fat_cyclist.jpg

I know scrubs is totally kosher cuz even our surgeons wear scrubs into work. :thumbup:

I do like to change out of dirty scrubs b4 and after a day in the OR.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't really understand this whole dressing professionally like a "real" doctor bit.

You're still seen in your srubs 99% of your day. Your patients never really see you coming in or leaving. The people you work with already know you're a doctor.

People can usually tell I'm a doctor from my confident demeanor and my badge that says Dr. on it if they didn't know me.

dress pants, dress shirt, tie, white coat. I'm a physician and dress as such to and from work. Wearing scrubs to and from the hospital is an image I do not wish to portray.

The orderlies, transport, and clipboard warriors at my hospital wear long white coats. The white coat does nothing to differentiate doctors these days. I haven't worn a white coat since intern year when I had pockets stuffed with checklists and ACLS cards.

Reactions: 3 users
I park 20 feet from the door in a segregated MD only lot in the back of the hospital. Then go up the stairwell to a door into the mens locker room with exactly 8 feet of behind the OR hallway time for patients to see me. They would have to be very lost.

I wear whatever is comfortable. Never scrubs though, because I think people who wear scrubs outside of the hospital look dumb. One of my prejudices I guess.
The nurses I work with hardly even know if I have hair or not, I dont expect a patient to recognize me on the way into the hospital from the closest they get to where I park, which is 100 yards.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Nobody sees you leave the hospital either? For people that want to differentiate themselves from nurses, dressing and acting in a professional manner may not seem important to you but it can be seen as important to those watching you.

In medical school I was instructed to dress like the doctor my grandmother envisioned me as. I think it was good advice.
Dude you could dress in a tuxedo with a top hat and silver tipped cane every day and you'd still be viewed as an overpaid tube monkey.

Reactions: 4 users
Dude you could dress in a tuxedo with a top hat and silver tipped cane every day and you'd still be viewed as an overpaid tube monkey.

Not by the hospital CEO. He doesn't pay me anything and I help save him millions of dollars a year. Dress for success.

The irony of people who hate their job but don't care about their appearance to and from it is quite apparent.

I don't really understand this whole dressing professionally like a "real" doctor bit.

You're still seen in your srubs 99% of your day. Your patients never really see you coming in or leaving. The people you work with already know you're a doctor.

People can usually tell I'm a doctor from my confident demeanor and my badge that says Dr. on it if they didn't know me.

Professionalism is what you do when nobody is looking. I don't dress nicely to impress patients. I do, however, avoid bringing **** from home or car into the OR and I avoid bringing **** from the OR to my car or home.

Not by the hospital CEO. He doesn't pay me anything and I help save him millions of dollars a year. Dress for success.

The irony of people who hate their job but don't care about their appearance to and from it is quite apparent.
Hey, whatever you tell yourself to get through the day. The second the CEO realized that there was a cheaper alternative, he'd be kicking your nicely dressed ass to the curb.

How is that ironic? That's the expected response.

Hey, whatever you tell yourself to get through the day. The second the CEO realized that there was a cheaper alternative, he'd be kicking your nicely dressed ass to the curb.

Not really. CEO of a hospital not far from us just booted that cheaper alternative to the curb a few years ago and is now asking us to come in and do the job instead. Seems AMCs can look nice initially, but not quite as nice a few years later. If we successfully pull it off (which seems pretty likely) we will hope to continue to acquire hospitals formerly served by AMCs. Would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
edit...double posted

Cover the camera with a piece of paper and tape

I'm not too concerned with my casual appearance to/from work. At my hospital, there is no physician parking, we all just park in one of the two general parking lots (though, the one most of us use behind the hospital is usually employees, as its farther away from the main entrance, but closer to the OR and surgery clinics), and I get in early enough that no one notices what I'm wearing, aside from the similarly-attired surgeons. There is one older, civilian, orthopedic surgeon who wears slacks and a nice shirt, but the rest of them dress casually, unless they have to be in uniform for the day (clinic days or meetings). Even then, they often wear gym clothes into the hospital, then change into their uniform in their office. I don't generally leave during any of the mass-exodus times, so I rarely run into anyone on the way out of the hospital from my office. Where I moonlight, almost all of the surgeons and anesthesiologists come into the hospital in scrubs from the private, physician-only lot. I don't like to wear scrubs home, so I still enter in street clothes.

Anything from slacks with a sport coat and slick shoes to army fatigue pants, a hoodie and timbs (I'm from Southside Queens, timbs are worn all year round). I roll into work sometimes before 6 in the morning and leave 9 or 10 at night. Most people see me in my jammies, so I could care less what people think about as I'm walking from my car to the hospital and vice versa. Depending on my mood is how I'll dress. The only time I do dress casually/professionally is when I go to a Plastic Surgeon's office.

Anything from slacks with a sport coat and slick shoes to army fatigue pants, a hoodie and timbs (I'm from Southside Queens, timbs are worn all year round). I roll into work sometimes before 6 in the morning and leave 9 or 10 at night. Most people see me in my jammies, so I could care less what people think about as I'm walking from my car to the hospital and vice versa. Depending on my mood is how I'll dress. The only time I do dress casually/professionally is when I go to a Plastic Surgeon's office.

You need a new job.

All depends on what my day looks like after I leave. Every time I dress nice, i am reminded how few people see me between the parking lot and the OR locker room. Shorts and flip flops in the summer are not unheard of. Funny enough, non-OR people can't even tell who I am outside of OR attire,most think I am just a visitor. If i have an administrative meeting I either come from the OR in scrubs or I wore a nice business outfit, minus the tie.

I never wear anything but scrubs while i am working. If I am in the ICU i put a lab coat over my scrubs. Perhaps its my blue collar family background but I like the look of a work outfit (scrubs)

My feeling is that push come to shove, I would rather a patient feel like I was a regular Joe who wears jeans and t shirts like them than a pretentious suit and tie wearing 1% type.

I do disagree with people wearing hospital work scrubs home. Never made sense to me that after a day of taking care of people who are sick to be taking that stuff home to wash in your own home. I feel "dirty" even when my scrubs are not obviously soiled.

How is there a cheaper alternative to "free"? Sounds to me that Mman is not getting any kind of subsidy.

Of course the suit and tie ****, is a little too much if you ask me.
I wear scrubs cuz I go to too many hospitals and don't have a locker for shoes. I also only have like two pairs of work shoes and don't feel like carting them around from hospital to hospital.
In previous gigs where I worked at just one hospital, I would wear whatever. Jeans/shorts and t shirts mostly because I had a locker to keep shoes and stuff in.

Of course the suit and tie ****, is a little too much if you ask me.

A suit would be way over the top coming and going from the hospital, though I have seen a few surgeons that always wear a suit in the office.

I believe that one has to dress for one's part. Do you want to be seen as a doctor? Dress like a doctor. Do you want to be seen as a tech? Dress like a tech.

The easy way to decide is to look at how private surgeons dress in your neighborhood. If they wear suit and tie, the minimum for you is business casual. If they come to work in flip-flops, there is no reason for you to dress up. Except that you need to know that, especially in smaller places where everybody knows everybody, you are being judged also by the way you look coming to work. It's just human nature. People tend to be more respectful of well-dressed people.

A white coat helps, too. Yes, there are many non-medical people wearing it nowadays, even in my hospital. But when I wear that white coat that says MD and Critical Care over my ICU scrubs, people who don't know me need to take just a look to know that the viceroy is there. Definitely more respect than when I wear just my scrubs, despite the badge saying the same thing as the inscription on the coat.

If you have ever seen a scrub nurse or tech dressed well while coming from work you will get my point. It can change your opinion about them. Human nature.

The investment is just a few hundred dollars/year, but it will pay back big time. Don't forget that your bosses are also people. Would you go see your department chair in jeans, scrubs or flip-flops? I wouldn't. The important people tend to spend their days in meetings with other well-dressed important people, so they will notice if you are underdressed for the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
About the only thing more disgusting than wearing dirty scrubs home is wearing some sort of rarely cleaned suit and tie at work and back home.

When I see a surgeon in a suit coat and tie, I can't help but think about all the disgusting germs he is carrying around with him.

I put on clean scrubs every morning after I get to the hospital and I put them in the hamper at the end of the day. Every day.

Nobody recognizes me out of scrubs, least of all patients, so I wear whatever is handy. Usually jeans and fleece.

But when I wear that white coat that says MD and Critical Care over my ICU scrubs, people who don't know me need to take just a look to know that the viceroy is there.

I've found my new outfit for when I start CCM fellowship this summer

VqUeQ1X.png

Reactions: 5 users
I believe that one has to dress for one's part. Do you want to be seen as a doctor? Dress like a doctor. Do you want to be seen as a tech? Dress like a tech.

The easy way to decide is to look at how private surgeons dress in your neighborhood. If they wear suit and tie, the minimum for you is business casual. If they come to work in flip-flops, there is no reason for you to dress up. Except that you need to know that, especially in smaller places where everybody knows everybody, you are being judged also by the way you look coming to work. It's just human nature. People tend to be more respectful of well-dressed people.

A white coat helps, too. Yes, there are many non-medical people wearing it nowadays, even in my hospital. But when I wear that white coat that says MD and Critical Care over my ICU scrubs, people who don't know me need to take just a look to know that the viceroy is there. Definitely more respect than when I wear just my scrubs, despite the badge saying the same thing as the inscription on the coat.

If you have ever seen a scrub nurse or tech dressed well while coming from work you will get my point. It can change your opinion about them. Human nature.

The investment is just a few hundred dollars/year, but it will pay back big time. Don't forget that your bosses are also people. Would you go see your department chair in jeans, scrubs or flip-flops? I wouldn't. The important people tend to spend their days in meetings with other well-dressed important people, so they will notice if you are underdressed for the part.

If I am ever concerned about how people think I dress, take me out back and Old Yeller me. I've lost it.

Reactions: 7 users
I wear jeans/ shorts/ t-shirt and causal footwear. I align with the camp that doesn't see need to dress up to come to work only to change into scrubs. I'm not insecure and could care less what others think. That being said my partners dress the same as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

We had an old doc talk to us my second year of med school about various aspects of being a physician. One thing he told us was to never hang your white coat in or put stickers you car or otherwise advertising you are a doctor. Said it was a sure fire way to get sued in an accident.

We had an old doc talk to us my second year of med school about various aspects of being a physician. One thing he told us was to never hang your white coat in or put stickers you car or otherwise advertising you are a doctor. Said it was a sure fire way to get sued in an accident.

True, but keep a stethoscope in your glove compartment in the event you get pulled over for speeding.

We should all wear the yellow MRSA throwaway gowns to and from work as an act of defiance. I'm 99.99% convinced those things prevent infection as much as praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Reactions: 3 users
His noodliness is not recognized as a true religion, says SCOTUS, so insult away. :p