What do you wish you did before starting optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvenIf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I got into an optometry school and I am so jazzed! But it doesn't start for almost a year!

I wanted to ask those of you who are already in optometry school:
Is there anything you wished that you had done before school started???
Is there anything you wished you knew before going to school??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally moved out of state for optometry school. I moved in almost a month before school started to allow myself time to settle in. If you're attending a school that's any distance from where you currently live, I recommend moving early and spending time exploring! There's not a whole lot of free time once school starts, so take the extra time to explore the city and see what it has to offer! Also, you won't have a ton of time for friends/family so spend as much time as you can with them as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting in! I'm also asking myself these questions. I'm taking a gap year and I'm glad I'm home for it so I get to spend time with my family before I leave for another four years. I'm also trying to get into good habits now while I have the time (exercising regularly, learning how to invest, learning to make more healthy food, etc) so they stick when I'm at school.

Make as much money as you possibly can.

I haven't started Optometry yet but if I was to take a year off I would definitely make as much money as I can and travel!

A 1st year friend reminded me don't forget to spend time with friends! Even if you live in the area, 1st and 2nd year are the most intense in terms of studying so you won't have much time to hang out with friends from undergrad.

Hi everyone!

I got into an optometry school and I am so jazzed! But it doesn't start for almost a year!

I wanted to ask those of you who are already in optometry school:
Is there anything you wished that you had done before school started???
Is there anything you wished you knew before going to school??
Get a part time job, and spent time with your friends and family. Travel around and Enjoy your free time while you can !!!

Can you elaborate on that? It's pretty specific.
1. It's usually a much better income than working in an optical.
2. As a PP owner (and a homeowner), there are lots of occasions where a simple fix needs to be done. Knowing how to do it yourself is faster, and cheaper.

1. It's usually a much better income than working in an optical.
2. As a PP owner (and a homeowner), there are lots of occasions where a simple fix needs to be done. Knowing how to do it yourself is faster, and cheaper.
Makes sense. Thanks!