Program-Specific Info / Q's What does a good recommendation letter look like from the professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otot1313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, future Ots!!

This is like my second post and question that I have so that I can apply into MOT program!!

I recently asked my psychology professor while taking her class for fall and spring semester.
I did ask for her recommendation letter when I was in her fall semester psyche class and she said she will be gladly to write me one. Then I did take another pre-req class for OT requirement and finally she wrote me a letter and was given to me during finals week.

My concern was that she seems like she hasn't written many recommendation letter.

Also, she is kind of old so she can't do online or thru email when it can be done mostly online...

I took her class at a city college but most of the students are looking to transfer to state school and most of them barely get Cs in the class...

I was able to look at the letter because I requested to get 10 copies with her signature on it...

This is my first time getting a rec letter but it seems kind of dull.
She wrote me kind things and how I get all A's in her tests and write thorough and excellent paper... and few sentence stating that I will be a excellent person to work as an OT...

I don't really have time to type out her exact letter, but I will if you guys wants to see what she got for me...

And also, it wasn't as long as i thought it would be... it was like 300~500 words...

I did ask the few OT schools that can paper form be okay?... but one of the school is unsure because they recently had switched to be done in electronically...

My other two letter will be from my Anatomy and physio class teacher (taken both classes with one professor getting As) and an OT who will certainty said that he will be writing an excellent letter for me...

I just want to get heads up when they write me a letter, I can at least let them know what to write for me...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello @otot1313! While it can be very disappointing to get a not-so-stellar or even "dull" recommendation, there are several things you can do to make sure that the rest of your recommendations will help admissions committees see your best qualities as a student and future OT!

I write the Gotta Be OT blog, and I've written a post about references and letters of recommendation that I think you might find helpful. You can read it here: https://gottabeot.wordpress.com/201...chool-part-ii-references-and-recommendations/ You also find it helpful to read the other posts I've written about applying to OT school, which are here: https://gottabeot.wordpress.com/applying-to-ot-school/.

Here are my main pieces of advice for you:
- Make it as easy on your recommender(s) as possible by organizing your forms and requirements for each person in a packet or online folder.
- Give your recommender your resume or a bulleted list of your most relevant accomplishments related to OT school that they can use when they are writing your letter.
- Have an in-person meeting with your recommender to discuss your career goals and refresh their memory of you for when they write the letter.
- A one page letter is pretty average, although the length may vary based on your relationship w/ the person or the length of your resume.

Reactions: 1 user