PhD/PsyD What does one need to call oneself a "Psychologist"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Lock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard some people say you must be licensed, but a lost of psychologists are not licensed for example. Social, HR, educational ect. I was always under the impression that if you got a PhD in the discipline you could call yourself a "psychologist" but you needed a licence to practice clinical psychology

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the jurisdiction. Where I did grad school, "psychologist" is a protected title, and only allowed to be used if you are licensed to practice psychology (e.g., clinical psychologists). Lots of social/IO/cognitive/etc psychologists also call themselves psychologists, but I don't think the licensing board really goes after those people because it doesn't harm potential clients. So, if you're a person with a PhD in cognitive psychology and you are faculty at a university, and you call yourself a psychologist, unlikely to get in trouble. If you have a PhD in cognitive psychology and open a private practice where you are treating clients/patients, and you call yourself a psychologist, you're more likely to face consequences because it's confusing to the public to call yourself a psychologist when you aren't licensed. But, again, definitely will vary by jurisdiction.

Very generally, a doctoral degree.

Agreed.
If you have a PhD in cognitive psychology and open a private practice where you are treating clients/patients, and you call yourself a psychologist, you're more likely to face consequences because it's confusing to the public to call yourself a psychologist when you aren't licensed.

...and trained clinically (by way of externships, internships, and fellowships...basically all the face-to-face hours we do with patients/clients/consumers).