What effect has being a pre-med had on your college life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with some of the people here it does depend on motivation, but at the same time there are lots of factors that affect it too. I go to a college that I commute to for over two hours a day, I have personal family issues that do affect my ability to stay on campus long or eve stay there during class times over all. Literally to get to a 8:00am class I have to wake up around 4:30, to catch the train and switch lines, meaning most of my times is wasted during the commute. There are some people privileged enough to live on campus, or near it, and they have a better time doing multiple jobs, doing ECs, and doing great in school over all. But that is not everyone, and it's highly unlikely everyone will have the same priorities and motivations to do well, or what their situations is. If you can do all of that and have the ability to do great GREAT FOR YOU!!! We are here cheering you on! But if you can't evaluate why? And if it's something that really cannot change, then try to go around it, but don't feel horrible that you cannot do what some people can do, everyone has their problems and their privileges, it's a matter of what they are. I know some kids who grew up in a well to do family, rich kids who had tutors, worked for the resume boost, partied, did amazing/okay in their undergrad because of the help they got, I also know some kids who did not grow up privilege and did equally well/bad. Don't feel bad, truthfully my undergrad experience was horrible, and it's most likely because of the college I attended, it was far away from home, not very science based, not great at having active/supportive faculty especially for those who were commuters/first gen, so it definitely depends on the college as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is not a current thread but I think the topic is always relevant. I was a pre-med in college for a semester and it was miserable. But guess what...I was pretty miserable overall for the next seven semesters too, save for some good times I had with my close friends. I wouldn't trade it though because of the doors that it opened and frankly continues to open.

Not everyone follows the same path, and it's not just the pre-med dance that makes some people have a bad college experience. College defines many people from their teens (constantly stressing about getting in) to their actual college years through to their late 20s and even 30s, but it takes some removal to realize that 4 years is nothing. I think we would all be better off if we had a better perspective on what college is and where it fits in the grand scheme of our lives.

I didnt find it hard to balance grades with having a social life. Usually went out every weekend except if I had a test in the first half of the week and went out even more during my senior year. The only time I was particularly miserable was when I was studying for the MCAT and when I was trying to complete my honors thesis, both entailed a solid month of hell and not going out. Otherwise, I dont think pre-med affected me, I would have wanted to do my best either way. Its perfectly manageable if you study effectively and dont stress yourself out to no end

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't think that it has been too bad. I am a humanities major, but even the semesters when I have had mostly science courses I still had plenty of free time to waste. All in all your going to find this varies wildly though. People's ability levels are different, some schools are tougher, and sometimes you get that one professor....

I studied a good portion of the time while working 10-20 hours a week and still got laid. It's really not that bad. You probably have 0 time management at all. I'd venture to say a lot of pre-meds are studying "8-10 hours" while in reality they study for like an hour and then shoot the BS with their study group for the other 8-9 hours. Just what I found/observed.

There were semesters where I took nearly 17 credits of raw neuroscience and I still had free-time. Time management. Master it now.

Most pre-meds I know don't usually go out and party even on the weekends and as they become upperclassmen they tend to spend a lot of time studying even on the weekends. Then I noticed that majority of them have other investments outside of your typical college life.

I have heard many people say that these are supposed to be the "best 4 years of your life" but I am one of the very few that is just not buying it. Even having been to parties myself and talking to people, whenever the question about majors comes up most people I talk to aren't science majors which makes me wonder what the science majors are doing.

Looking at past posts on this I read so many users claiming how easy college was for them and they were able to live your typical college life that the media portrays, I am not buying that at all, I call BS.
Undergrad was the best 8 years of my life

Reactions: 2 users
If I wasnt premed I could be like the rest of CS students with little ****s given for such silly things as grades.