What else can I be doing to become a strong applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedros

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first time here (please don't hate on me if I'm posting this in the wrong area, I'm sorry!) and I just wanted to see how my progress as a premed student is going. I've only talked to my premed advisor at school a couple times but wasn't really given any feedback as to my overall process. Here it goes:

I'm a rising junior. My sgpa is 3.7 (ish) and my cgpa is 3.82. I've majoring in Neuroscience and Film. I plan on taking a gap year (not exactly sure what I'll be doing yet though) and am going to take the MCAT during the summer of my junior year. In terms of what I've done so far:

Volunteer (medical)
EKG technician and ER volunteer in the hospital
(~200 hours) 2013-
JS Clinic and Education Center - Help with Diabetes and Healthy Eating workshops, assist in the primary and preventive healthcare for the uninsured, low-income families in Detroit, help grow community gardens and lead the farmer's market 2013-
OB/GYN Clinic - Helped with administrative tasks, organizing patient records, aid medical assistants with any requests, participated in community outreach about available programs 2013-
Health and Wellness Center - Similar to the above description. 2014-

Volunteer (nonmedical)
Temple -
Organize fundraisers and events to help promote Indian culture and heritage, such as dances and holiday festivities, community learning sessions, etc. 2013-
Detroit Partnership - Weekly tutoring of middle schoolers in Detroit schools, participate in service projects to clean parks and neighborhoods in Detroit 2014-
Kumon (After School Learning Program) - Assistant Instructor which entails designing individual educational plans for kids from K-12, monitor progress in math and reading, provide assistance when needed. 2013 -
Piano Instructor - Volunteer piano lessons to elementary kids. 2014-

Research
Only sophomore year so far but I plan on continuing research junior/senior year. I also plan on going to El Salvador for my own research project at problem-based learning school for 8-9 weeks. 2013-

Jobs
Study Group Facilitator for Orgo II 2014-
OB/GYN Clinic - Scribe 2014 Summer

Internships
Cleveland Clinic -
Shadow neurology physicians/researchers, assist with researchers' clinical trials on Alzheimers' and Parkinsons' disease, discuss weekly cases with the doctors, aid in physical therapy appointments, educate the community about patient programs, etc. Summer of 2014
Neurology Center- Training under a neurologist and his team of doctors, type/update patients' electronic charts, observing and assisting in EEG's, learning how to analyze magnetic resonance images (MRI) and stroke/seizure workups, observe real patient diagnoses, etc. Summer of 2013

Extracurriculars
Food Magazine -
Writer and Editor for our school's food magazine and I've had articles published in the Huffington Post and Daily Meal. 2014-
Student Government Health Commission - Chair of the committee that spreads awareness about health and nutrition on campus, organize farmers' markets, create healthy options for college students in the dorms and apartments, etc.
Indian Organization - Promote Indian culture and heritage through an annual dance show, participate in community service projects, social justice events, etc. 2014-
Social Justice Network - Organize the nation's largest South Asian conference dedicated to social justice and raising awareness about issues relevant to college students (Board position) 2014-
Global Health Organization - Director of Community Building, work closely with communities in detroit and el salvador (two partners that we have), created a penpal program with the students in El Salvador, Fundraise money for the students' individual projects, Educate communities about global health, help write grants for our partners, etc.
Dance Team

Shadowing
I've shadowed many doctors in the fields of neurology, gynecology, opthamology, nephrology, and oncology (~400-500 hours).

Passions/Interests
Overall, I'm passionate about the medical field and gaining as much medical experience as I can. I love working in local communities whether it's through tutoring, growing gardens, or organizing healthy eating workshops and I like to maintain my long term commitment with the organizations I'm involved in. I'm incredibly passionate about health/nutrition and have my own blog dedicated to recipes/tips/strategies for a healthy lifestyle and an instagram page with 10,000 followers. I also have been playing the piano for a very long time and love volunteering lessons. I also love to dance and participate in a our school's dance team, the annual Indian dance show, and help organize dance events. I'm passionate about the South Asian Indian community and social justice issues in Asia.

I've never really listed it all like this before and hope I can get some feedback as to what I can be doing to improve my chances of getting into medical school or what I should cut back on. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, how do you have time to do all that? =D

All jokes aside, your ECs seem pretty awesome. Just be prepared to talk about 3 of them that are "most meaningful" on your AMCAS application.

Other than that, keep getting those grades up, especially the science, and wreck the MCAT =D

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, how do you have time to do all that? =D

All jokes aside, your ECs seem pretty awesome. Just be prepared to talk about 3 of them that are "most meaningful" on your AMCAS application.

Other than that, keep getting those grades up, especially the science, and wreck the MCAT =D

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice, Heplayer92! I'm gonna study really hard for the MCAT and keep trying to improve my gpa! Good luck to everything you are doing as well!!

Your gpa and EC's look good, keep up the commitment to those. I would focus strongly on the MCAT since it seems you will be taking that soon.

Get a 34 or better on the MCAT and you'll be in the running at any school in the country. Keep it up!