What else do I need to do to make me a good candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherry.q.l

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a bachelor of science degree in biomedical engineering (my emphasis is biochemical/pharmaceutics). I haven't thought about medical school until now. My goal was to go into tissue engineering or pharmaceutical engineering. But recently I've been thinking about medical school. This is all I've done so far. What else should I do to make me a good candidate?

I love research so I want to get into a MD/PhD program. I heard it's really competitive. What can I do to make me stand out more? What medical schools that have a MD/PhD program that is easier to get into?

overall gpa is 3.5
science gpa is unknown
had 3 years of research experience (published an article, participated in 2 symposiums, gave talks about my research project), will continue with research
had 20 hours total physician shadowing
had one leadership position (student ambassador)
will start my volunteer experience this summer
had no patient care
haven't taken the MCAT yet

Members don't see this ad.

Most important: clinical experience, whatever that may be. You HAVE to do it.
2. MCAT
3. More volunteering, which you're in the process of doing
4. More shadowing wouldn't hurt, but you have a good start

Also, it would be beneficial to figure out your BCMP GPA, they give you the breakdown on AAMC (for MD schools) and figure out what your GPA is, and see if that needs any work.

taking the mcat and doing well will help

WAY more clinical experience. some programs...not gonna name any names...cough cough...a state school located where Ron Burgundy reminds the people to stay classy...cough cough....screen out those under a certain number of hours