What else should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seaward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OGPA: 3.70 SGPA:3.71 MCAT: Pending, let's pretend it's 30 (god willing)

Work experience:
ER Scribe with two separate companies for 3 years
Administrative Assistant for College of Sciences for 3 years, promoted to TA for Biosciences for 1 year.
UTHSCSA - Diabetes research for 3 months - unpaid intern. Got into a car accident and had to resign because i did not have transportation.
Fellowship - Paid fellowship in Ecology for one year (I was originally an environmental science major.)

I work 50+ hours per week and have attended school full time Fall, Spring and Summer semesters since my enrollment in 2010. I will be graduating with an immuno/microbio concentration and an integrative biology concentration with Highest Honors distinction. I wrote a thesis about Obamacare and took honors courses to attain my distinction.

Volunteering:
Homeless Shelters
Homeless Clinics
Humane Society
Habitat for Humanity
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society
Alpha Epsilon Delta - Secretary, Social Chair, Historian
Global Brigades - Secretary
Green Society
Big Brother Big Sister

I do not know what else I can be doing to put myself in a better position....I have had a friend with better stats than me apply to only be put on the wait list. I will be applying in May 2014, I graduate in December 2013. My post graduation plans include working as an ER technician and then working on a trail crew in Alaska for 6 months (like i said i enjoy the outdoors).

Where are my holes? What else should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing? Anywhere between 40 to 100 hours will put you among the norm of SDN users.

Working in the ER as a scribe, I am basically shadowing the ER physician. I see all his patients with him and fill out the electronic medical record.