What exactly counts as "URM"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have around 10% native american ancestry , but i'm mostly white would that count as URM? I'd honestly rather not get into a debate about URMs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are a member of a Federally Recognized Tribe, then yes you are URM.

If not, then you are being dishonest if you check that box. Don't do it.

You aren't URM.

End of thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Elizabeth Warren claimed to be Cherokee with 1/32 heritage.

If you are a member of a Federally Recognized Tribe, then yes you are URM.
If not, then you are being dishonest if you check that box. Don't do it.

OP, do you identify with that 10% of your heritage? Does your family observe any rites/traditions/holidays that stem from your Native American heritage? I don't think you have to be a member to culturally identify with an URM group, that said if you have never considered this side of your family until application season came around then you should absolutely not check that box. Adcoms will see right through it.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, if it bugs you, the question is irrelevant. Just apply as white or don't state ethnicity.

If you have to ask, you're either

1) Not a URM
2) Don't need the advantages given to URMs and if you check the box, you're just being a dick.

I have around 10% native american ancestry , but i'm mostly white would that count as URM? I'd honestly rather not get into a debate about URMs (the whole thing bugs me and everyone should get a fair chance at being accepted to a med school regardless of their background).

1. Hypocrite.

lZJViKu.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I have around 10% native american ancestry , but i'm mostly white would that count as URM? I'd honestly rather not get into a debate about URMs (the whole thing bugs me and everyone should get a fair chance at being accepted to a med school regardless of their background).

Ok? then why do you care and why are you asking? Check White. Hypocrite indeed. Another URM when convenient.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you've been living on the Pine Ridge Nation or other reservations, AdComs will probably not take kindly to your sudden "discovery" of your roots.

How has mrh not been banned yet?

because i'm not doing anything wrong aside from apparently making you throw a little temper tantrum for no reason at all.

Ok? then why do you care and why are you asking? Check White. Hypocrite indeed. Another URM when convenient.

because i want to know. how the hell is that hypocritical or "urm when convenient"? calling me a hypocrite because I posted something you don't like that doesn't fit your point of view really isn't a good way of proving your point. care to try again?

1. Hypocrite.

lZJViKu.gif

see above. if you're just looking for something to complain about and post dumb .gifs to you got your chance. now if you can't be serious, get out.

Members don't see this ad :)
because i want to know. how the hell is that hypocritical or "urm when convenient"? calling me a hypocrite because I posted something you don't like that doesn't fit your point of view really isn't a good way of proving your point. care to try again?
The better question is: How is it not?

The better question is: How is it not?

because I genuinely want to know. I did mark native american as well as white for college, and standardized tests. Different situations might have different ideas of what exactly counts as a URM though and I expect med school might especially given the whole ORM business (i've never heard of this in my life before coming here). Just because I don't follow your myopic block-headed generalization doesn't mean that I don't have a right to ask a question without being labeled stupidly. If you were looking for something to piss and moan about you got your chance, now if you can't say anything useful don't let the door hit you on the way out.

because I genuinely want to know. I did mark native american as well as white for college, and standardized tests. Different situations might have different ideas of what exactly counts as a URM though and I expect med school might especially given the whole ORM business (i've never heard of this in my life before coming here). Just because I don't follow your myopic block-headed generalization doesn't mean that I don't have a right to ask a question without being labeled stupidly. If you were looking for something to piss and moan about you got your chance, now if you can't say anything useful don't let the door hit you on the way out.
So what's your tribe number?

How's this for useful? You aren't happy with your MCAT score and don't think it'll be enough to get you that MD so you're grasping at straws.

I was just messing around but if you wanna call me out then lets do this.

How's this for useful? You aren't happy with your MCAT score and don't think it'll be enough to get you that MD so you're grasping at straws.

I was just messing around but if you wanna call me out then lets do this.

ugh, fair enough. i couldn't tell the diff between you jumping on me and everyone else. I am annoyed w/ my mcat score (exact mid range between the score I didn't want and the score I wanted) but this has nothing to do with it. I did start filling out my AAMCS application yesterday and have read a lot about the whole "ORM" business on this forum and that was why I was wondering.

Beats me. He got into a flame war with few of respectable members in an AMA thread.

Lol. Ok dude. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

"respectable" members. prestige means very little and if youre going to make stupid remarks about my posts i don't give a **** who you are or about your prestige. you're getting taken to task regardless of your silly notions of forum members' prestige.

"respectable" members. prestige means very little and if youre going to make stupid remarks about my posts i don't give a **** who you are or about your prestige. you're getting taken to task regardless of your silly notions of forum members' prestige.

Who said anything about prestige? You really can't deny what you have done in that AMA thread.

Wow, okay, stop. There is absolutely no reason to be so rude.

Edit: there are respected members in any community. Just because this is an online community does not mean that we do not value members who contribute meaningful and helpful thoughts. It is naive to think that people do not build reputations on an anonymous forum.

because i'm not doing anything wrong aside from apparently making you throw a little temper tantrum for no reason at all.
Cool as a cucumber actually. I'm just surprised that someone who has started 134 threads since August (mostly asking questions that could have been answered with the search function) is still around. Most of your posts seem very trollish as well. Anyway sorry to hear about your MCAT score. I think you would be better served by applying broadly or retaking than by trying to lie about your ethnic identity.

Wow, okay, stop. There is absolutely no reason to be so rude.

Edit: there are respected members in any community. Just because this is an online community does not mean that we do not value members who contribute meaningful and helpful thoughts. It is naive to think that people do not build reputations on an anonymous forum.

fair enough, but my point was if im being disrespected for no reason it's perfect reasonable to respond accordingly, prestige or not, otherwise it's all about mutual respect. i'll respect what you have to say as long as you respect what I have to say.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's just his usual demeanor.

nope lol. only when you directly antagonize me for no reason at all.
Who said anything about prestige? You really can't deny what you have done in that AMA thread.

hmm, let's see. I did overreact a little, but given the smug demeanor of the topic creator before he back-pedaled after the time and detail I put in into that post it's pretty obvious and reasonable why I responded that way. You really can't deny if you posted something similar and then got some smug comment back from the topic creator as well as some kiss butt responses (a few posts were genuinely reasonable) you wouldn't respond accordingly.

Cool as a cucumber actually. I'm just surprised that someone who has started 134 threads since August (mostly asking questions that could have been answered with the search function) is still around. Most of your posts seem very trollish as well. Anyway sorry to hear about your MCAT score. I think you would be better served by applying broadly or retaking than by trying to lie about your ethnic identity.

if you had read any of the questions I asked you'd see that I go into more detail about my own perspective regarding such questions, which is why they require an answer. I have done the googling and what not. You're probably referring to the fact that i posted a few seemingly trolly things in response to asinine bs thrown at me (though that does look like glenn beck in your avatar so it's not surprising at all that youre spinning **** for no reason). I am not lying about my ethnicity with this topic and I am applying broadly. This is a totally unrelated question I had.

I post a lot and have lots of questions about mcat material because I was working really hard to get the best score I can. Given that I didn't take physiology as an undergrad, I used this site instead of counselors who gave me horrific advice (and for a very good reason), and that my undergrad has a notoriously bad physics program (look up UC Davis physics 7) having a ton of questions is totally reasonable.

hmm, let's see. I did overreact a little, but given the smug demeanor of the topic creator before he back-pedaled after the time and detail I put in into that post it's pretty obvious and reasonable why I responded that way. You really can't deny if you posted something similar and then got some smug comment back from the topic creator as well as some kiss butt responses (a few posts were genuinely reasonable) you wouldn't respond accordingly.

You sure you actually spent time on that post? Few people you lashed at would disagree. You should relook at your dialogue in that thread one more time carefully and get back to me on what you actually did. That smug comment was there for a reason but you just took it on the wrong side and exploded.

With that said:

Reckoner's post here is pretty spot on and you should take that into consideration.

if you had read any of the questions I asked you'd see that I go into more detail about my own perspective regarding such questions, which is why they require an answer. I have done the googling and what not. You're probably referring to the fact that i posted a few seemingly trolly things in response to asinine bs thrown at me (though that does look like glenn beck in your avatar so it's not surprising at all that youre spinning **** for no reason). I am not lying about my ethnicity with this topic and I am applying broadly. This is a totally unrelated question I had.

Yeah. Work on that attitude. It'll help you a lot.

You sure you actually spent time on that post? Few people you lashed at would disagree. You should relook at your dialogue in that thread one more time carefully and get back to me on what you actually did. That smug comment was there for a reason but you just took it on the wrong side and exploded.

With that said:

Reckoner's post here is pretty spot on and you should take that into consideration.

Yeah. Work on that attitude. It'll help you a lot.

Listing all of my ecs and describing them in detail actually took quite a bit of time. I needed the damn feedback because with an "avg gpa" and unknown (at the time) mcat score. I'm not going to write long paragraphs for no reason at all.

I have no patience for assumptions and being generalized (e.g., "lying about my nationality"). push me you get pushed back. not gonna change. I work too hard to deal with that ****

ugh, fair enough. i couldn't tell the diff between you jumping on me and everyone else. I am annoyed w/ my mcat score (exact mid range between the score I didn't want and the score I wanted) but this has nothing to do with it. I did start filling out my AAMCS application yesterday and have read a lot about the whole "ORM" business on this forum and that was why I was wondering.

just so you know, the AMCAS application for the 2015 cycle won't open until May 1st.
If you're filling something out already, it's the wrong one...

just so you know, the AMCAS application for the 2015 cycle won't open until May 1st.
If you're filling something out already, it's the wrong one...

thank you. I was actually wondering about that because i heard that before. Well i better save my personal statement then...

I am imagining OP in an interview with braided blonde hair and a bolo tie, listing a "spirit quest" as one of his AMCAS activities from last week.

thank you. I was actually wondering about that because i heard that before. Well i better save my personal statement then...

save everything that requires written responses in a word document, etc. Especially if you already did your activities sections and PS. Although I hope you didn't just write your PS in the application only.
Whatever you've put into the 2014 one is not going to show up when you log into the 2015 application (at least this is what I was told)

I am not lying about my ethnicity with this topic and I am applying broadly. This is a totally unrelated question I had.
I mean in the sense that you haven't indicated that you actually identify with your NA background. Do you? Are you a member of a tribe? Do you speak the language or observe the traditions? If not, I would consider it dishonest to mark NA on your application. If these things are true for you, then go for it.

Listing all of my ecs and describing them in detail actually took quite a bit of time. I needed the damn feedback because with an "avg gpa" and unknown (at the time) mcat score. I'm not going to write long paragraphs for no reason at all.

I think the reason that your posts are coming off angry is because you are violating an unspoken rule...most people on SDN do not swear as explicitly or as often as you do. We do a little dance to make our posts seem more kosher (and yes, I know it's stupid and I don't claim to speak quite so nicely in real life) and we make the effort to be extra civil.

Ex: d@mn ;)

Whatever you've put into the 2014 one is not going to show up when you log into the 2015 application (at least this is what I was told)
This is correct. I did the same with last year's application, and none of it was imported into this year's.

I think the reason that your posts are coming off angry is because you are violating an unspoken rule...most people on SDN do not swear as explicitly or as often as you do. We do a little dance to make our posts seem more kosher (and yes, I know it's stupid and I don't claim to speak quite so nicely in real life) and we make the effort to be extra civil.

Ex: d@mn ;)

make sense. i can respect that, i'm just more blunt and direct about this stuff, it's part of my personality. I can keep it more civil in certain situations, but also with all of this pre-med stuff comes a lot of stress.

Hi mrh125,

Only you can answer that question, do you feel a genuine connection to your heritage? Can you demonstrate that you have a true interest in your cultural identity? If so, 10% is merely a number, and it would be very rude for any adcom to even ask the question of blood quantum in my opinion. I am Native and am tied to my community strongly, and you will never, ever here that question asked of another person who self-identifies as Native. If you truly believe this is who you are, never let anyone tell you otherwise. Federal recognition has no connection to your status as a Native in the eyes of other Natives. Medical schools are going to be very interested in how this identity has influenced the physician you want to become and it will be discussed in the interview. If you are box-checking it will likely be very apparent. Don't let any non-native judge you on the 10% number.

Last edited: