What exactly happens when you increase temperature of a exothermic reaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly happens when you increase temperature of a exothermic reaction?

1) Because the temperature increases, reaction speed increases going both right to left and left to right, but is it possible to know which speed direction increases more?

2) Because it's a exothermic reaction, increasing temperature will shift the reaction to right.

Also, is 1) a thermodynamic aspect of the reaction and 2) a kinetic aspect of reaction therefore these two don't really have anything to do with each other? I'm making myself very confused, please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think what you are asking about is equilibrium. Raising temperature will increase the rate forward and backwards of most reactions (due to more energy). However, when speaking about equilibrium and Le Chatelier's principle, when you have an exothermic reaction, you should think of heat energy as a product of the forward reaction. Thus, raising the temperature of the system will cause equilibrium to shift AWAY from the excess heat, meaning the reverse reaction would be favored and the equilibrium will shift L.

The opposite would occur if you raise the T on a endothermic reaction @ equilibrium.

You are correct, thermodynamics and kinetics are not the same thing in chemistry.

Last edited:
I think what you are asking about is equilibrium. Raising temperature will generally increase the rate of most reactions. However, when speaking about equilibrium and Le Chatelier's principle, when you have an exothermic reaction, you should think of heat energy as a product of the forward reaction. Thus, raising the temperature of the system will cause equilibrium to shift AWAY from the excess heat, meaning the reverse reaction would be favored and the equilibrium will shift L.

The opposite would occur if you raise the T on a endothermic reaction @ equilibrium.

You are correct, thermodynamics and kinetics are not the same thing in chemistry.

1) So does Le Chatelier's principle have to do with the thermodynamic aspect of the reaction and the whole increased reaction rate due to increased temperature have to do with the kinetic aspect of the reaction?

2) And by increasing temperature, we get more reverse reaction because heat is on the left side of the reaction AND the reaction that goes left to right and left to right both increase because temperature is increased?

rxnEnergy.png

Reactants -> Products + Energy. How quickly you achieve the transition state is rate limiting. You require energy to achieve the transition state. More energy = faster reaction as you are better able to achieve the transition state. However, the equilibrium is pushed back toward reactants