What exactly is a postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaisccharles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused as to what/how a post bac works? I do know that if someone is unsatisfied with their GPA, or changing careers they may enroll in a post bac. However, is "enrolling" in a post bac a certificate program, or is it one of those do-it-yourself advising without a certificate.

In my case, I want to enhance my GPA, could I take courses independently as oppose to enrolling in a program? For example, I intend to take 2 upper level science courses totaling 6 credits each semester for 2 semesters. That's it, and nothing else.

or do I have to go through a certificate for the grades to affect my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post-bacc just means taking classes after your baccalaureate degree. For my program, you can get a certificate if you want, but it's optional. The benefits of a formal program are it has separate classes for post-bacc students. Sometimes, classes like gen chem or phys can be really impacted and non-matriculated students have the last priority, so these can be harder to get into.

If you are just planning on taking a few upper divs, there is probably no need to enroll in a formal program.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc just means taking classes after your baccalaureate degree. For my program, you can get a certificate if you want, but it's optional. The benefits of a formal program are it has separate classes for post-bacc students. Sometimes, classes like gen chem or phys can be really impacted and non-matriculated students have the last priority, so these can be harder to get into.

If you are just planning on taking a few upper divs, there is probably no need to enroll in a formal program.

Thank you so much for the help. It really clarified my confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Postbaccs can really help escpeically if its associated with a dental school - some even have guaranteed admission if you hit certain stats

A post-bac can either be informal or formal. A formal post-bac program is one that an institution has already set up in which you're already given a select number of classes and schedule, and I assume in most cases, you'll also be accompanied by an advisor along the way to help guide you in the right direction. Some may be designed for career changers so they have all the basic prerequisites like organic chemistry, general chemistry, biology, etc. These can last 1-2 years depending on the program. On the other hand, an informal post-bac is a self-designed post-bac in which you just take upper-division biology undergraduate courses of your choosing at a university. This is the route I took because I was unsatisfied with my oGPA & sGPA so I enrolled as a non-degree student at a nearby college close to home. I didn't like the idea of a formal one because I only wanted to take a few particular classes and it was more costly/took more time.

Reactions: 1 users
A post-bac can either be informal or formal. A formal post-bac program is one that an institution has already set up in which you're already given a select number of classes and schedule, and I assume in most cases, you'll also be accompanied by an advisor along the way to help guide you in the right direction. Some may be designed for career changers so they have all the basic prerequisites like organic chemistry, general chemistry, biology, etc. These can last 1-2 years depending on the program. On the other hand, an informal post-bac is a self-designed post-bac in which you just take upper-division biology undergraduate courses of your choosing at a university. This is the route I took because I was unsatisfied with my oGPA & sGPA so I enrolled as a non-degree student at a nearby college close to home. I didn't like the idea of a formal one because I only wanted to take a few particular classes and it was more costly/took more time.

Hi, new to the info; Does the post-bac nondegree gpa affect the undergrad gpa? Does financial aid cover?

Hi, new to the info; Does the post-bac nondegree gpa affect the undergrad gpa? Does financial aid cover?

If you're taking undergraduate level courses from the post-bac, then the GPA you receive in those courses should contribute to your undergraduate GPA from your previous college. At my school, financial aid unfortunately doesn't cover tuition for non-degree students. You have to be enrolled in an official program (undergrad, masters) in order to receive tuition. You should check with your college under their financial aid section either on their website or call for more information.

If you're taking undergraduate level courses from the post-bac, then the GPA you receive in those courses should contribute to your undergraduate GPA from your previous college. At my school, financial aid unfortunately doesn't cover tuition for non-degree students. You have to be enrolled in an official program (undergrad, masters) in order to receive tuition. You should check with your college under their financial aid section either on their website or call for more information.
How many classes were you taking in your informal post bacc per semester or overall?

How many classes were you taking in your informal post bacc per semester or overall?

Ehh, I could only take 1-2 classes (lecture + lab) this semester due to some complications, unfortunately. Next semester I plan to do 3-4 hopefully ... I'd have to check the spring schedule when it comes out. It's a pain trying to coordinate with the college I go to for post-bac because continuing education students need permission to take classes at the day school, and I'm being told different things so I'm trying to get it all straightened out. I'd suggest you take as many classes as you can handle in one semester and/or take what your school and your schedule allows. It's normal for me to take four courses since that's what a full course load was considered at my undergrad institution, so IMO I'd say around 4 is good.

Ehh, I could only take 1-2 classes (lecture + lab) this semester due to some complications, unfortunately. Next semester I plan to do 3-4 hopefully ... I'd have to check the spring schedule when it comes out. It's a pain trying to coordinate with the college I go to for post-bac because continuing education students need permission to take classes at the day school, and I'm being told different things so I'm trying to get it all straightened out. I'd suggest you take as many classes as you can handle in one semester and/or take what your school and your schedule allows. It's normal for me to take four courses since that's what a full course load was considered at my undergrad institution, so IMO I'd say around 4 is good.
Ok that's exactly what I would've expected. I contacted a local university near home and they said I could only take 2 classes at a time as a continuing education student...I thought that was on the low end. I'm trying to see if I can get around that though, because it would be pretty convenient to go to a local university

If I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle, could I still apply for post-bacc next fall and still apply for the next cycle?

If I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle, could I still apply for post-bacc next fall and still apply for the next cycle?
This is the beauty of the informal post bacc, because it seems that the leniency of it is extremely convenient. If you commit to a masters or a formal post bacc, you would need to finish the program. If you get accepted in December (in the next cycle), you would have the options to stop taking classes in an informal post bacc (since you are just taking classes in an 'a la carte' fashion). So yeah, I think I will do this as well if I don't get accepted in the current cycle.

This is the beauty of the informal post bacc, because it seems that the leniency of it is extremely convenient. If you commit to a masters or a formal post bacc, you would need to finish the program. If you get accepted in December (in the next cycle), you would have the options to stop taking classes in an informal post bacc (since you are just taking classes in an 'a la carte' fashion). So yeah, I think I will do this as well if I don't get accepted in the current cycle.

Formal postbaccs are not necessarily binding. In my program, you take what classes you need and stop whenever you want (just no certificate). You're guaranteed small class sizes and consequently more intimate relationships with your professors. My classes were 15-30 students and professors often administered labs too, and this was at a California public university. This is just for clarity's sake though and if taking only a few classes to help GPA, I think an informal postbacc is preferential.

Formal postbaccs are not necessarily binding. In my program, you take what classes you need and stop whenever you want (just no certificate). You're guaranteed small class sizes and consequently more intimate relationships with your professors. My classes were 15-30 students and professors often administered labs too, and this was at a California public university. This is just for clarity's sake though and if taking only a few classes to help GPA, I think an informal postbacc is preferential.
That's interesting I didn't know that some programs aren't binding. The only reason I said that was because a director of admissions at a dental school told me that they like to see people in masters/formal post bacc actually finish their program - rather than stopping if they get in or what not. It is definitely something to keep in mind!

Also, a post bac allows adcoms to see what you have done since graduation/your rejection. They want to see good grades in upper level courses (3.65+ GPA and you need to kill your DAT(22+) if you haven't ready). In addition to grades, they want to see that you are still shadowing and being involved with the community. Doing all of these things won't guarantee you an acceptance but the adcoms would think, "Hey, this kid is giving it all he/she has. They have potential to be a good dentist."