About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what exactly is cavo-surface margin? unsupported enamel?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by ichitaka86, Jul 1, 2010.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ichitaka86

ichitaka86

Pre-Dental

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm really sorry for this question but I just can't get around with the above definitions. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in class :(

Can anyone illustrate with some diagrams?
  2. Vapor1122

Vapor1122

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    cavosurface margin = basically any junction of cut/uncut enamel in a cavity prep
  3. cuspofcarabelli

cuspofcarabelli

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hey,
    CSA- is the junction between the prepared &the unprepared surface of a tooth ( the same thing that vapor 1122 said)- dont get frustrated, u ll understand better when u start cutting ( cavity preparation)- if u r a freshmen, well u ll get the concept better on ur sophomore year. do not panic..
  4. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Unsupported enamel is like, this:

[​IMG]

See how in the second picture, there is no dentin under part of the enamel layer on the occlusal? Because of this, it will fracture easily under normal occlusal forces. Hope that helped!
  5. xhamburgersamx

xhamburgersamx

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    unsupported enamel is basically any area that is undercut leaving enamel unsupported by dentin
  6. sokrman14

sokrman14

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Cavosurface is where the internal structure of your prep meets the external portion of the tooth that you haven't cut.

Unsupported enamel is when the enamel has no dentin immediately underneath it.
  7. Stephie3

Stephie3

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    cavosurface margin is just the outline of the prep you've cut when you look down on the tooth's occlusal surface.

unsupported enamel is exactly like it sounds....enamel that is not supported by dentin. if enamel is hanging over the edge and there is no dentin underneath it, then you have unsupported enamel. the reason why they will make you diverge and converge the walls of your prep is to avoid this.

when enamel is not sitting on top of any dentin, then its going to be weak and the piece of enamel may fracture off.

at my school undermined enamel is an automatic failure...dont do it. ;)