What exactly is "clinical" exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought volunteering in the ER was considered to be clinical exposure. Apparently not.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=529545

From what I'm told, "if you can smell patients, it's a clinical experience."

So volunteering in an ER should work out.

My problem is that I have a deviated septum and all kinds of other nasal issues, so basically it is really difficult for me to smell a lot of times.

I've been around a lot of patients that I was told smelled to high heaven, but for the life of me, I couldn't smell a thing. Now, it's June already and I haven't gotten a decent whiff of a patient; and it's not for lack of effort.

I'm planning to use Afrin and Sudafed before I shadow tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed.

try an inner city ER, I've been around some patients (even in my nice suburban ER), typically those in for psych evaluation or the overnight weekend variety that even you would definitely be able to smell. Almost feels like you can smell some with your eyes when they start to water after visiting a particular room.

by the way, I've learned it is wise to check with security when I first arrive to see who they are watching and why. Not really related to smell, but a safety issue nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)

My problem is that I have a deviated septum and all kinds of other nasal issues, so basically it is really difficult for me to smell a lot of times.

I've been around a lot of patients that I was told smelled to high heaven, but for the life of me, I couldn't smell a thing. Now, it's June already and I haven't gotten a decent whiff of a patient; and it's not for lack of effort.

I'm planning to use Afrin and Sudafed before I shadow tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed.

I knew someone who had anosmia...they didn't get in with a 4.0 44T. Try licking.

Different schools have different ideas of what clinical exposure is. I'm sure many other schools see volunteering in a hospital as clinical exposure even if that certain one didn't. Just make sure that some of your activities give you exposure to both patients and doctors so you can get the general jist of things.

I thought volunteering in the ER was considered to be clinical exposure. Apparently not.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=529545

Hey, since I'm the person that started that other thread, let me say that I personally would consider volunteering in an ER to count. I'm struggling with a particular situation where I am being told that my time volunteering in a hospital doesn't count.

I like the "smell patients" idea, but apparently for some med schools anything short of being an actual doctor doesn't count as clinical experience.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: