What gift to get student hosts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mik30102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I will be staying with a student host for 2 different schools (with one gracious enough to house me for 2 nights) and was wondering what people have gotten their hosts as a gift in the past to show their appreciation? I was thinking maybe a bottle of wine or one of those edible arrangements (everyone loves fruit!).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on your host. Some people don't drink, some don't do sweets, some don't do fruit. While I would be thrilled with a pound of bacon, your host might prefer chocolate or a nice bag of high quality ground coffee. Use your judgement.

Reactions: 2 users
How about just a starbucks gift card

Members don't see this ad :)
Starbucks gift card is best option. Even if your host doesn't drink coffee (unlikely, as med school converts most people), there's non-coffee stuff or they can sell it/give it to someone else.

I didn't even know we should get them gifts. I always thought they volunteered for it.

I didn't even know we should get them gifts. I always thought they volunteered for it.

They do. But it's customary to tip waiters and waitresses even though it is their job to wait on you. It's nice to be shown a little appreciation for hosting an applicant, especially if the host introduces you to several students, hosts you for several nights, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't have to get them a gift. But they're letting you live in their house/apartment for a day or two despite the fact that they don't know you and are quite busy, so it's polite to get them a little thank you gift. Just because they volunteer for it doesn't mean that it doesn't affect them at all to have you there.

I was thinking I'd take them out for dinner one night. What do you guys think about that?

It's not expected by any means. I'd say I only got gifts from maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of the students I hosted. But I always thought it was a nice gesture when someone did get a little something. I mean they are opening their home to you.

I was thinking I'd take them out for dinner one night. What do you guys think about that?

Nice in theory, difficult in execution. Their schedule may be packed or they may have an upcoming exam. I'd agree with the above that a gift card for starbucks is a pretty universally safe choice.

I wouldn't care if I didn't get a gift. Seriously, I've got like a million other things to worry about, thinking about why a kid did or didn't get me an Amazon gift card is so far off my radar as to be basically nonexistent.

I'm also not most people though, so there's that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to work at a super upscale fine food store. I plan to hand pick some fresh air shipped Belgium gourmet chocolate (Leonidas is the brand) if I leave from my home city. But for the stops after the first couple, I'd definitely show my appreciation with Amazon gift cards. I love Amazon, everyone that I know who has a busy life love Amazon.

I used to work at a super upscale fine food store. I plan to hand pick some fresh air shipped Belgium gourmet chocolate (Leonidas is the brand) if I leave from my home city. But for the stops after the first couple, I'd definitely show my appreciation with Amazon gift cards. I love Amazon, everyone that I know who has a busy life love Amazon.

woooaaahhh gourmet chocolateeee... i'd be super down to be your host haha

Reactions: 5 users
woooaaahhh gourmet chocolateeee... i'd be super down to be your host haha
http://www.leonidas-chocolate.com/mannon.html
Well, even if you don't, if I run into you on the interview trails, you can have some. I used to be able to afford eating at least 1 lb of this every week when I had the employee discount. Hazelnut coffee cream. Oh god, so good.

Reactions: 4 users
If you are going to give a gift card, make sure it has a reasonable amount of money in it. LOL I'm tired of getting gift cards and then I have to think really hard on what I can or can't afford with it.:laugh:

If you are going to give a gift card, make sure it has a reasonable amount of money in it. LOL I'm tired of getting gift cards and then I have to think really hard on what I can or can't afford with it.:laugh:

"reasonable amount" = $25? $50?

"reasonable amount" = $25? $50?
I was going to go with $10... That's a coffee or two at starbucks. Part of the point of staying with a student host is to save money, and I simply can't afford something like that for my host. Plus $25 is approaching serious gift range rather than small token of my appreciation range.

A question too-Should I also get a gift for the roommate if I'm staying with two people?

I've been a student host before, and it is weird when people get gifts. People that sign up to be student hosts aren't doing it for the gifts; they volunteer themselves to help out applicants. If you're going to do anything, offer to take them out for coffee or pick up a box of donuts.

I've been a student host before, and it is weird when people get gifts. People that sign up to be student hosts aren't doing it for the gifts; they volunteer themselves to help out applicants. If you're going to do anything, offer to take them out for coffee or pick up a box of donuts.
That's why I tend to keep the gift value low (<$15), in order to avoid making the student host feel uncomfortable and yet it shows gratitude. I feel like if someone give me something substantial in return for my help, then it kind of make me feel like my help wasn't that much valuable to them. If I have the option of taking them out for coffee, then all the better. I'd still prepare something just in case the student hosts are busy.

We are all going to be so broke after this admissions cycle... oh wait.. I'm broke already.

I would say $5-10 if you're going to do a gift card. My school gives hosts a $5 gift card to the hospital cafeteria for each person each night they host. The value (and the quality of the cafeteria) is not that much of an incentive, so people really aren't doing it for the vouchers, but it's a nice gesture to show appreciation for hosting. $5-10 is def enough.

Personally, I wouldn't expect anything in return, and I think $10 is a bit too much to be receiving as a gift, but just personal preference. $5 is enough for a good beverage at Starbucks in a city, or 2-3 cups of coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A sympathy card saying "sorry you had to settle for that school..."

At the least, I'd leave a thank you note. $10ish dollar starbucks card is a good gesture.

Above that and you make the other people hosted look bad ;)

Jeez.

I was thinking...$10. $20 max.

I don't think I ever got a gift more than that from an interviewee I hosted, and wouldn't expect more.
Sucks to be those people who will come to TheBuffOP's house. :laugh:

I guess I went overboard on the amount of money. To be honest, I wouldn't want anything in return because if I'm offering my place for someone to stay I don't want them to feel like they owe me so much.

Take a **** in their garden. It will do wonders for it. Don't have one? Get a Starbucks gift card.

Personally, I would bake him/her some dessert.

I think that would be a nice little something-something to show your host you appreciate them without being a large enough gesture to make things awkward.

30 pack of Natural Light

natural-light.jpg

Well that's just mean. Might as well pee in some cans, and my hosts will probably get more enjoyment out of it :p.

Don't hate, appreciate.

Theres nothing like bonding over a nice game of rumpelstiltskin