what GPA and MCAT is high enough for international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently freshman. International student without green card, not Canadian.

I really want to be a doctor but am afraid if the chance is too low and my efforts will be wasted.

I know there are international students with 4.0 GPA and 40+ MCAT who got enrolled. But such will probably beyond my ability.

Could somebody tell me what GPA and MCAT are good enough for an international international student to have a good chance to get an offer?

Any guess and help is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The avg GPA for MD acceptees nationawide is 3.6 and 32 on MCAT. So, finish above avg and aim for schools whose medians will be near your numbers and accept international students.

Currently freshman at Rice University. International student without green card, not Canadian.

I really want to be a doctor but am afraid if the chance is too low and my efforts will be wasted.

I know there are international students with 4.0 GPA and 40+ MCAT who got enrolled. But such will probably beyond my ability.

Could somebody tell me what GPA and MCAT are good enough for an international international student to have a good chance to get an offer?

Any guess and help is appreciated!!!

Thank you for your help!

Just one more question? For schools accepting international students, will the GPA and MCAT lines higher for international students? Because it seems that the acceptance rate of international students is lower nationalwide.

Members don't see this ad :)
The avg GPA for MD acceptees nationawide is 3.6 and 32 on MCAT. So, finish above avg and aim for schools whose medians will be near your numbers and accept international students.

Thank you for your help!

Just one more question? For schools accepting international students, will the GPA and MCAT lines higher for international students? Because it seems that the acceptance rate of international students is lower nationalwide.

Probably, but I don't know what that magic number is. Just do well and try an app cycle to see how it shakes out.

Thank you for your help!

Hi! I am an international student too, freshman at texas a&m. They normally expect internationals to have a higher gpa and MCAT than average, but if you have great EC's you don't really have to have a perfect gpa and MCAT score to be invited for an interview. Acceptance rate nationwide is low because only about 20 med schools accept internationals if I am correct, and some of them are state med schools so they have to give preference to in-states. But take into account that many international students applying have a foreign degree, and have only done the pre reqs at a US college, so normally those accepted have done their undergrad here. You already have some advantage over other int applicants.

Hi! I am an international student too, freshman at texas a&m. They normally expect internationals to have a higher gpa and MCAT than average, but if you have great EC's you don't really have to have a perfect gpa and MCAT score to be invited for an interview. Acceptance rate nationwide is low because only about 20 med schools accept internationals if I am correct, and some of them are state med schools so they have to give preference to in-states. But take into account that many international students applying have a foreign degree, and have only done the pre reqs at a US college, so normally those accepted have done their undergrad here. You already have some advantage over other int applicants.
Thank you for your encouragement : )

I too am an international student without greencard. i know this post is old but I am currently in the application cycle for MD/PhD and I just want to offer an advice. I think as an international student it would be great if you can apply for MD/PhD. I assume you would be a sophomore this year so do you think you would be interested in MD/PhD. You need a higher GPA and MCAT scores but if you are really into research, then MD/PhD is a great choice for international students since most schools do not discriminate international students regarding status and financial capabilities. I have not get any acceptance yet since the schools send out acceptances from dec onwards but I have 7 interviews lined up and hopefully I can give you insights a bit more if I actually get in a program.