What "handed" are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Be a man, use your hand.

• Total voters

denticus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So lets see if my theory is right with regards to there being a positive correlation with right handed individuals and choosing dentistry as a career option...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. You should make this into a poll question. There are maybe 7-8 left handers in our class of 90 at VCU. Funny question btw. Nothing better than setting up an experiment that will no doubt support your hypothesis that there are more right handers that go into dentistry than left ;)

I write with my right hand, eat, brush teeth, etc...but most sports I do left handed. Weird?

Right on almost everything, but I shoot Left with a hockey stick....

Leftyyyyyyyy.

Side note. Your theory will magically prove 'correct,' obviously there's a larger percentage of right-handed people to begin with. I smell biassss....

Leftyyyyyyyy.

Side note. Your theory will magically prove 'correct,' obviously there's a larger percentage of right-handed people to begin with. I smell biassss....

But look at how overwhelming it is! Do you know if there is a statistically larger proportion of right-handed individuals in society?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how ******ed I am: I'm a lefty, but I accidentally voted that I'm right handed. So, um, yeah.

And to continue with hockey handedness- I shoot right.

We have hockey here in Florida as well :cool:

I was actually a Zamboni driver for about 4 years.

Here's how ******ed I am: I'm a lefty, but I accidentally voted that I'm right handed. So, um, yeah.

And to continue with hockey handedness- I shoot right.

Wow...haha. When I first skimmed your reply, I thought you said "I accidentally voted with my right hand." I was thinking whhhhhhhaaat? I'm sure I have voted with my left hand. Who cares? :confused:

I write with my right hand because in first grade my teacher had the urge to change me from being a lefty to a righty. That only worked in regards to writing and using scissors. Everything else I do with my left hand.

It's actually cool because I just draw graphs etc. with my left and can label them with my right hand.

What I would like to know is if trying to change me from a lefty to righty is the reason that I can do mirror-writing (write from right to left with my left hand) by which my handwriting looks exactly the same as if I write from left to right (with my right hand) as normal - just that one is the mirror image of the other.

Did that happen to anyone else??? This question has actually been bothering me for a while! Please, respond if you that happened to you too (incl. ability of mirror-writing)

I'm a righty and I play hockey as a righty.

Is there than many people on SDN that play hockey?

I played hockey competitively up through high school. I played as a right wing as a righty and left wing as a lefty and goalie as a lefty. I believe that what a monkey can do right handed a monkey should do equally well left handed.

write, eat, throw, tennis, goofyfooted (skateboard, surf, snowboard) - lefty

shoot a basketball, kick, throw a frisbee, wrestle - righty

I am a freak

right handed

Well you can count me in! I went to the same university as btizzels and played on the school’s ice hockey team. That’s one reason why I left that first comment, because all of the outsiders seemed kind confused that our school would even have a team.

This pole isn’t doing much to show a difference between the national average and dentists for handiness. But………. From the looks of it, we might get good results for a pole comparing dentist to the national average for people that play hockey.

I guess it's a good thing I am ambidextrous...since I am a swimmer can you imagine how awkward I would look swimming if I was super dominant in one arm? That would be a site.
I ride goofy footed as well.

I guess it's a good thing I am ambidextrous...since I am a swimmer can you imagine how awkward I would look swimming if I was super dominant in one arm? That would be a site.
I ride goofy footed as well.

You could have one huge arm and one wee one like a hermit crab or competitive fencers.

I'm left handed but bat and play golf and do many other things right handed because that's the way I was taught.

Played from age 5 all the way through college. Now I play on a few rec. teams.

So lets see if my theory is right with regards to there being a positive correlation with right handed individuals and choosing dentistry as a career option...

I thought it was common knowledge that there are a fair number less left-handed members of our society...The only debate is the actual % of lefties...I've found numbers b/w 7-13%. I agree w/ CookieDough, your "magical" correlation is kind of a joke...I hope you don't do research.

I write with my right hand because in first grade my teacher had the urge to change me from being a lefty to a righty. That only worked in regards to writing and using scissors. Everything else I do with my left hand.

It's actually cool because I just draw graphs etc. with my left and can label them with my right hand.

What I would like to know is if trying to change me from a lefty to righty is the reason that I can do mirror-writing (write from right to left with my left hand) by which my handwriting looks exactly the same as if I write from left to right (with my right hand) as normal - just that one is the mirror image of the other.

Did that happen to anyone else??? This question has actually been bothering me for a while! Please, respond if you that happened to you too (incl. ability of mirror-writing)

Okay.... just LOL!! That's amazing I would love to mess around with your mirror writing to see what other things this skill transfers to.

Im right handed, but shoot left in hockey. By the way Im loving the hockey references in this thread. Is anyones hockey shooting arm way stronger? My left arm is way stronger than my right!!

I thought it was common knowledge that there are a fair number less left-handed members of our society...The only debate is the actual % of lefties...I've found numbers b/w 7-13%. I agree w/ CookieDough, your "magical" correlation is kind of a joke...I hope you don't do research.

Calm down, I'm sure he knows that. Say the actual percentages were 99% right handed, or only 50% right handed, which is what I'm sure this guy is looking for. Deviations from the norm.

Calm down, I'm sure he knows that. Say the actual percentages were 99% right handed, or only 50% right handed, which is what I'm sure this guy is looking for. Deviations from the norm.

brilliant!

You're right! It is "kind of a joke". In fact, this whole thread is a joke. Now, don't you feel stupid for taking me seriously?! It's as thought you thought I was working for somebody to gather these results so they could be published...what the! BTW, I never used the word magical, you did. My poll was created by SUBJECTIVE observations I've made. Obviously, I'm not looking for the Nobel prize with this.

Anyway, what are you so upset about? This whole poll was created by me for three reasons. (1) Jest - to give people a laugh (2) Curiosity - Just because I'm...well curious. (3) Entertainment - As a senior SDNer it has come to my attention many times that other SDNers simply enjoy doing polls, no matter what the topic is. It provides something to do for people who have already been accepted and it helps ease tension from people who haven't been accepted yet. If you're so offended by the poll then don't vote, don't comment, and stay out of the thread. Apparently other people have enjoyed the poll so far so I'll have to side with the majority on this one.

As far as research is concerned, too late bro! I've already been published 5 times. Oh my God:eek:, better check with me to see what I did research on so that it doesn't somehow affect you!!!

FYI, correlations don't indicate causation...IT's a poll!!! RELAX!

Well you can count me in! I went to the same university as btizzels and played on the school’s ice hockey team. That’s one reason why I left that first comment, because all of the outsiders seemed kind confused that our school would even have a team.

Yeah no one believes UCSD has a hockey team, but they also find it hard to believe that we don't have a football team.....

As a senior SDNer it has come to my attention many times that other SDNers simply enjoy doing polls, no matter what the topic is.

how do you become a senior SDN'er? Is there some sort of ritualistic initiation? I like elephant walking!

You're right! It is "kind of a joke". In fact, this whole thread is a joke. Now, don't you feel stupid for taking me seriously?! It's as thought you thought I was working for somebody to gather these results so they could be published...what the! BTW, I never used the word magical, you did. My poll was created by SUBJECTIVE observations I've made. Obviously, I'm not looking for the Nobel prize with this.

Anyway, what are you so upset about? This whole poll was created by me for three reasons. (1) Jest - to give people a laugh (2) Curiosity - Just because I'm...well curious. (3) Entertainment - As a senior SDNer it has come to my attention many times that other SDNers simply enjoy doing polls, no matter what the topic is. It provides something to do for people who have already been accepted and it helps ease tension from people who haven't been accepted yet. If you're so offended by the poll then don't vote, don't comment, and stay out of the thread. Apparently other people have enjoyed the poll so far so I'll have to side with the majority on this one.

As far as research is concerned, too late bro! I've already been published 5 times. Oh my God:eek:, better check with me to see what I did research on so that it doesn't somehow affect you!!!

FYI, correlations don't indicate causation...IT's a poll!!! RELAX!

Hmmm, re-read the last word of your reply (one of the few that has any significance in your comments...Explain to me how a "poll" gives any relevance to your "theory")...K, now after you take a few deep breaths and prevent your panties from getting further into a bundle, you can re-read your whole "magical" thread and see that I was quoting someone other than you :idea:. Yes, people read things other than your 5 astounding papers :sleep:...(i doubt you really want to get into a competition about publishings...and left-handed correlations don't count:() When i read your reply this little guy kind of makes me think of how you must have looked as you were madly typing at your computer ----->:scared: In the words of a famous published scholar: RELAX

Hmmm, re-read the last word of your reply (one of the few that has any significance in your comments...Explain to me how a "poll" gives any relevance to your "theory")...K, now after you take a few deep breaths and prevent your panties from getting further into a bundle, you can re-read your whole "magical" thread and see that I was quoting someone other than you :idea:. Yes, people read things other than your 5 astounding papers :sleep:...(i doubt you really want to get into a competition about publishings...and left-handed correlations don't count:() When i read your reply this little guy kind of makes me think of how you must have looked as you were madly typing at your computer ----->:scared: In the words of a famous published scholar: RELAX

Hahaha! You've been...affected:lol:

BTW, "I'll even be your friend if you're nice to me :D" - pssshhhht...doesn't look like you kept up with your end of the deal.

right handed....can't do anything with my left hand...

right handed. my left is one useless appendage. i think i only use it for typing ;)