What happened to USF IMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefirstword

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed something about this but what happened to the USF IMS program for the 2015-2016 year? Their website says that they are not opening the application for this cycle because they are redesigning the program... I guess that's pretty self-explanatory but does anyone have any more information?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i'm not very sure either. i did however read somewhere that they increased the amount of students they accept.

Sorry if I missed something about this but what happened to the USF IMS program for the 2015-2016 year? Their website says that they are not opening the application for this cycle because they are redesigning the program... I guess that's pretty self-explanatory but does anyone have any more information?

i thought it said app wasnt open yet for next cycle and to check back after january or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current IMS student so hopefully I can shed some light on your questions. It is no longer a program that you specifically apply to. Instead, applicants that do not make it into USF MCOM are screened, and if they match certain criteria they are invited for an IMS interview. Starting this year (2015-2016), the IMS program is a conditional admit program, essentially meaning it is a 5 year MSMD program. You take all classes with first years, including anatomy lab, and assuming that you have at least the minimum required MCAT score and make at least a B in every class, you are admitted to the MD program the subsequent year. In the past, it has been a separate program and despite still taking classes with MS1s, there has been no conditional admission so students still had to complete AMCAS and go through interviews at prospective schools, etc. Overall, the program has been a great experience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a current IMS student so hopefully I can shed some light on your questions. It is no longer a program that you specifically apply to. Instead, applicants that do not make it into USF MCOM are screened, and if they match certain criteria they are invited for an IMS interview. Starting this year (2015-2016), the IMS program is a conditional admit program, essentially meaning it is a 5 year MSMD program. You take all classes with first years, including anatomy lab, and assuming that you have at least the minimum required MCAT score and make at least a B in every class, you are admitted to the MD program the subsequent year. In the past, it has been a separate program and despite still taking classes with MS1s, there has been no conditional admission so students still had to complete AMCAS and go through interviews at prospective schools, etc. Overall, the program has been a great experience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

I just filled out my application to the new IMS program, and I was wondering if you knew how long the turnaround is with interviews/what are the chances of being asked for an interview if you were invited to complete the application? Thanks!

I just filled out my application to the new IMS program, and I was wondering if you knew how long the turnaround is with interviews/what are the chances of being asked for an interview if you were invited to complete the application? Thanks!

Congrats on receiving an application! The schedule from last year was application received 3/9, interviewed 4/14 (ii by phone about a week and a half prior), acceptance phone call about 1-2 weeks after the interview, acceptance letter received 4/28, and summer classes started 6/15.

I'm honestly not sure how many applications are sent out and how many are received back. I believe there were about 30 interviews last year for a maximum of 12 spots (8 of us ended up getting accepted). Obviously any of these dates/numbers could have changed, but based off last year, if you make it to the interview then you have a pretty solid chance!

Good luck and pm me if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: 1 user