What happenes if you fail the MCAT's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dalonedrow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, what happens? Do people usually have a 2nd major to fall back on or is that it? I heard most people just "become" lawyers. I think this is what i'm most scared of, studying for years and not passing.

I think i'm most afraid of that because i'm a sophmore in a very low end college and decided now would be a good time to start studying for the MCATS.. 3-4 years in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

As the title says, what happens? Do people usually have a 2nd major to fall back on or is that it? I heard most people just "become" lawyers. I think this is what i'm most scared of, studying for years and not passing.

I think i'm most afraid of that because i'm a sophmore in a very low end college and decided now would be a good time to start studying for the MCATS.. 3-4 years in advance.

I would think most people take some science tech or lab job. Or do some other grad school.

uhhh you cant really "fail" the mcat, you can just get a ridiculously low low score on it... and if you do, well you can always retake it :) haha

You'd actually only be studying about a year in advance. Most people take the MCAT at the end of their junior year or the summer between junior and senior year, as long as you're planning on going to medical school directly after college.

Additionally, you can't really "fail" the MCAT. It's much like the SAT where you get a numerical score and percentile score - there's no way to really fail. If you do poorly, however, many people choose to retake the exam. Others just move on and find a different career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm... i think to most people failing = scoring very low as AMmd said.

So I would only be studying one year in advance, my God. Another question, lets suppose you have a high gpa, high mcat scores, the right courses taken, all the community service to show your really interested in medicine but you go to a very low end college. Are you still likely to get into medical school?

If you do bad on the test, you retake it; if you do bad again, you retake it again.

If all else fails, you go to the Caribbean, unless you don't really want to be a doctor. Then you cop out and become a lawyer.

Hm... i think to most people failing = scoring very low as AMmd said.

So I would only be studying one year in advance, my God. Another question, lets suppose you have a high gpa, high mcat scores, the right courses taken, all the community service to show your really interested in medicine but you go to a very low end college. Are you still likely to get into medical school?

Statistically, yes, but people with 4.0s don't always get in; they want the total package, but sometimes even the total package doesn't get lucky.

Package.

Isn't the path to law school and beyond more difficult???

Getting into Harvard Law School is ridiculously hard; probably just as hard as getting into Hopkins med. However, getting into the "lowest," law school is easier than the "lowest," med school (not counting the Caribbean route). Both fields make you take in a volumunous amount of material and memorize it very quickly. However, there is a glut of lawyers in a lot of areas these days, and some of them can't get a job. So the path to law school isn't so difficult (if you're not aiming for Harvard), but the path after isn't a picnic. Long work hours if you are lucky enough to get a job.

Getting into Harvard Law School is ridiculously hard; probably just as hard as getting into Hopkins med. However, getting into the "lowest," law school is easier than the "lowest," med school (not counting the Caribbean route). Both fields make you take in a volumunous amount of material and memorize it very quickly. However, there is a glut of lawyers in a lot of areas these days, and some of them can't get a job. So the path to law school isn't so difficult (if you're not aiming for Harvard), but the path after isn't a picnic. Long work hours if you are lucky enough to get a job.

Yeah, getting into a law school is much easier than getting into a med school. But getting into a top 10 law school is just as hard as getting into a top 10 med school.

PLEASE don't apply to law school unless you are certain that you want to be a lawyer. I panicked after college and didn't know what I wanted to do... I knew my grades weren't good enough for med school so I thought I'd settle for law school. Huge mistake- don't make it yourself. Be 99% sure that a career as a lawyer is for you before applying to law school. *gets off soap box*

PLEASE don't apply to law school unless you are certain that you want to be a lawyer. I panicked after college and didn't know what I wanted to do... I knew my grades weren't good enough for med school so I thought I'd settle for law school. Huge mistake- don't make it yourself. Be 99% sure that a career as a lawyer is for you before applying to law school. *gets off soap box*

I did the same thing. Hated law school, left after first week, got a MBA instead, doing PharmD for backup.

I really wanted a joint MD/PharmD. There was not one so I am hoping to make my school consider one if I can score well enough on the MCAT soon. If not I will just do both separately. I have always wanted two doctorate degrees.

I did the same thing. Hated law school, left after first week, got a MBA instead, doing PharmD for backup.

I really wanted a joint MD/PharmD. There was not one so I am hoping to make my school consider one if I can score well enough on the MCAT soon. If not I will just do both separately. I have always wanted two doctorate degrees.

Unfortuantely I liked law school so I stuck around... and now I hate the practice of law.

What did you do with your MBA? Good luck with the MCAT... I'm sure you'll score well. The MD/Pharm sounds neat.

Unfortuantely I liked law school so I stuck around... and now I hate the practice of law.

What did you do with your MBA? Good luck with the MCAT... I'm sure you'll score well. The MD/Pharm sounds neat.

Worked a little while I took science prereqs. It taught my how to be professional and have a business mindset. It really helps in pharmacy and life in general.

As for the MCAT, I missed way too many on PS. Did not prepare for a MCAT like I got. (Aug 20th) Will next time.

The MD/PharmD makes sense to me. Diagnose patients and then really know the meds so I can adapt what I put them on. I am very interested in anes so I figured I could get in on some research since I imagine some professor would not mind working with a PharmD. Plus I thought it would be cool to be a "doc" while becoming a Doctor.

I have seen some of my friend's med materials and I think our stuff in pharmacy is harder to understand but he has much more to study. Chem is harder than bio. Both programs are hard though.

School is fun to me and I make enough to be comfortable so why not?

My job is my hobby! I love being in the hospital.